🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137 - The Avengers: LIVE!

I'm really okay with it because it tied into a previous episode, and it was obviously something that meant a lot to them both.

But I totally get being like, "Shut up about it" too. I've told most of my friends that I will go to a wedding and ONE other event. They can choose if that's bachelor party, engagement party, co-ed wedding shower. This personal rule came about because I had friends that had all three + a destination wedding. Seriously, that's some bullshit. Same goes for babies because I care about them even less. (I realize that sounds like it's a rule for baby weddings, and I'm leaving it that way because I think it's funny)

Thanks. He was an old guy, so it wasn't totally unexpected. But it still kind of sucks.

Ah reddit. You are truly a cesspool. Bets on whether these guys are also red-pillers who use "biology" to justify their sexism?

What? I mean, it's a super weird thing to say, but it's a far cry from sexist and very presumptuous on your part.

• Like 1

What? I mean, it's a super weird thing to say, but it's a far cry from sexist and very presumptuous on your part.

It was more a joke about Reddit as a whole.

And yes, it wasn't inherently sexist, but it was definitely creepy.

I'm really okay with it because it tied into a previous episode, and it was obviously something that meant a lot to them both.

At least there wasn't a flash mob...?

Was I the only one kinda wishing that after a year of buildup for that couple and her telling him that he should have asked at the last episode, that when he finally did ask that she said no?

Was I the only one kinda wishing that after a year of buildup for that couple and her telling him that he should have asked at the last episode, that when he finally did ask that she said no?

Yes, you are, you absolutely reprehensible, dispicable... no, I did too...

• Like 2

I think instead of a band, they should have a live podcast taping at the wedding. It won't be good for dancing but, like, who wants to do the conga anyway?

Paul and June waxing philosophically about marriage in their distant professional manner. Jason delivering the first Best Man speech in human history to incorporate the term "wet blood fart" and/or inappropriately moaning during the father-daughter dance…

• Like 4

The reason it’s called The Avengers dates back to the start of the TV series. The original lead was police pathologist called David Keel, whose wife is murdered by gangsters, so he teams up with secret agent John Steed to avenge her death on the criminal world.

Throughout most of the podcast, I wanted to go online to make this exact point, so kudos and/or curses for getting there first. Also for calling out the comics franchise for having the same problem. "Marvel's The Avengers" handwaved it with a line about avenging the Earth, but that doesn't explain why Nick Fury was referring to the "Avengers Initiative" from Day One.

It is set, like much of the series, in a fantasy version of England, where tea is drunk constantly, the 60s never ended and the world appears depopulated.

I believe that this is key to understanding what the film is trying to accomplish. It may not be entirely successful...but see below.

This ‘Avengersland’ extends to an assault course for agents being a country village – the falling plant pot is surely over the entry to the course – and the setting of 1999, which you can tell from the tax disc in the windshield of Steed’s car.

It simply may be a spy trope rather than a deliberate homage, but there's a similar village/training course in the "New Avengers" episode "Target."

The bear scene – yeah. It would make more sense for them to have been dressed as different types of cloud to conceal their identities, fitting in with the weather theme, but different colored teddy bears obviously makes for a more striking and memorable images, as the podcast audience seemed to agree.

Here's the thing: I'd argue that the bear scene is THE moment that best evokes the whimsical quirkiness of the TV series. In the show's final season, there's an episode called "Look (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But There Were These Two Fellers..." (no shit, that's the on-screen title) in which the villains are a group of retired vaudeville performers taking their orders from a Punch and Judy puppet theater. Watch that episode, then tell me that those bears are in any way out of place.

http://www.dissolute...wo-fellers.html

Paul and June waxing philosophically about marriage in their distant professional manner. Jason delivering the first Best Man speech in human history to incorporate the term "wet blood fart" and/or inappropriately moaning during the father-daughter dance…

don't forget the entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxSaNc8LFPM

In a perfect world Jim Carrey would Sing that

still listening to the podcast btw and got stuck at that moment.

• Like 1

Yeah...doesn't it suck when the Earwolf Police come by your house every time they do one, point a gun at your head, and force you to listen.

But thanks for sharing your opinion. You seem like a lovely person.

Earwolf Police - a terrible Cheap Trick song from one of the many times when they tried to revamp their career. Give it a rest, guys!

• Like 4

2) What the hell is up with the old-timey portrait of Uma, or possibly Twoma, in de Wynter's castle? It looks like he has a 19th-century oil painting of her on one of his ornate walls. Just how long has he been cloning her, anyways?

I completely forgot to mention that in my initial Omission, I'm sure there was some great ancestor to Connery who looked like Peel, but it was just cut out along with 30 other minutes of shit.

Jason asks "Who would use a potted plant as a weapon?"

Chris Jericho, that's who!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5sJ3bOxiOs

Poor Mitch, he didn't deserve that.

• Like 1

Poor Mitch, he didn't deserve that.

If you give an object a name, Jericho breaks it

Mitch the Potted Plant

Franchesca the Trombone:

If I were Thomas the Tank Engine, I'd be shitting myself.

• Like 3

If you give an object a name, Jericho breaks it

Mitch the Potted Plant

Franchesca the Trombone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fewmWYHu1qM

If I were Thomas the Tank Engine, I'd be shitting myself.

At least he never attacked Mr. Socko.

Fister, I'm very late with this but I am very sorry about your dog. I was a wreck when I had to put my cat down last November so I understand that ache.

• Like 2

Franchesca the Trombone:

And people say that art is dead! That's amazing.

Fister, I'm very late with this but I am very sorry about your dog. I was a wreck when I had to put my cat down last November so I understand that ache.

Thanks, y'all. It's been a rough week, but it's gotten a lot better. I did the thing everyone says you shouldn't do and got another pup yesterday. I'm a pretty major dog person, and I've always had one around in one way or another. Plus, it's been raining with some minor flooding, which means all the shelters are full. I went over just to meet a really pretty beagle, and of course, I ended up taking her home.

11nnnRI.jpg

• Like 6

Steed WAS crestfallen. That's why he went and created the Kingsmen. Colin Firth does some pretty bad-ass fighting with an umbrella.

They do shop at the same tailor.

Ralph Fiennes - Voldemort

Jim Broadbent - Professor Slughorn

Fiona Shaw - Aunt Petunia

I was thinking this the whole time. When Steed was bringing Peele to 'The Ministry' my immediate thought was "Voldemort is just walking right into the ministry?!?!" and then later he effortlessly gets into the archives!! that's where the prophecies are stored!

I also think it's worth noting that Slughorn, Voldemort, and Petunia share 0 scenes in the whole series(there's a flashback where Slughorn is talking with young tom riddle but it's not Finnes, so it doesn't count)

They didn't. They clearly say, "Twoma," because she's Uma #2.

I appreciate everything you've written that's filled out the movie, but we should not have to read the earlier version of the script or watch the 60s television show that only a handful of Americans seem to know about in order to grasp what's happening in the 1998 film. Like it would have been awesome to see 2ma try to poison him with a kiss but that didn't happen and so it shouldn't be a factor in how we perceive the movie.

Oh also out in East Texas during the summer there are wasps a plenty but I still don't see a wasp and make a connection to summer.

Wasps are purely a summer insect here, usually late summer/early autumn. Youre lucky that you missed the wasp season on your recent trip to the British Isles, because though we only have them for a month or so, when we do, the wee fuckers are everywhere like bad tempered stripey flies that hurt a lot.

I agree with Paul that there is no way Sean would wear the head of the Grateful Dead bear, but he did wear the full body suit.

I wished I could have been on set to watch Connery walk in from his trailer and see everyone just starring at him. There had to have been a crew member thinking, "Man, what has happened to James Bond to fall this far?"

CLbfa53.jpg

Oh that boat sailed decades before.

Remember Zardoz?

ss2970877_-_photograph_of_sean_connery_as_zed_from_zardoz_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__32364__31588.1404451853.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

And when he married old Paul McCartney?

zardoz7.jpg

• Like 6

And this hunk of shit movie, which shouldn't have anything to do with my great nation, is the reason why the Marvel movie had to be called "Avengers Assemble" in the UK.

uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

Fucking A one, sunshine!

It never occured to me that it wasnt called Avengers Assemble outwith the UK even though I know its a reasonably common practice.

Theres a probably apocraphyl story that the Oscar winning The Madness of King George was changed from its original title The Madness of George III because stoooopid American audiences would think it was a sequel because youre all thick as shit or something, stupid yanks, hur hur hur.

When in reality it was changed because there was no need for the roman numerals as the very first King that most Americans think of would usually be George III as he was your last one before that tax evasion scheme from all those mega rich white dudes that you call the American Revolution happened, and he is commonly just thought of as King George.

At a stretch...a rather long long stretch, you could say that they should have left the III in for thick Brits so that they could tell which one of the 6 Georges that we have available it was referring to.

Stupid British, hur hur hur.

That doesnt hold much water either though because of all the King Georges hes the most famous and the first to spring to mind, mainly for being as mad as a rat in a biscuit tin. And for losing the 13 colonies, though that was hardly his fault, due to his condition. Inept fucktard Prime ministers and cabinets are hardly a new thing.

He was supposedly a decent kindly old cove when not incapacitated.

Now is there anyone left on either side of the Atlantic that I havent offended there?

All the talk about there supposedly being no one else in London got me thinking about a 1991 issue of Miracleman by Neil Gaiman (spoilers for the issue and the Miracleman series in general). It takes place after Alan Moore’s run in which superheroes decide to take over the world and shape it into a peaceful utopia. This issue is set in a fake mini-city inhabited by all the former Cold War spies who no longer serve any purpose. Since they’re all too paranoid to function in the real world, they’re basically just brainwashed into thinking that nothing has changed and spend their days receiving missions and spying on each other.

Maybe that’s what’s going on here. It’s 1998 so the Cold War is well over, and all these characters who were so used to having elaborate spy adventures are put into a fake London and made to think that they’re still useful. Villainous ex-spies like Sean Connery get to develop crazy technology and weapons without posing any real threat to the outside world, and people like Steed get to feel like they saved the day by stopping them. Maybe once in a while everyone’s memory is wiped and the whole thing starts again. We could even think of it as a sequel to the original series in this sense. Steed and Peel already knew each other and had a bunch of adventures together, but we’re witnessing the beginning of a new cycle. This would also explain why, despite clearly being set in the current day, there’s a 60s retro vibe to everything. It’s just the world that these characters are most comfortable in. This could even all be taking place on that weird island for ex-spies from The Prisoner, if we want to tie it into another classic British spy show.

• Like 2

I guess i am the only one here who doesn't think there is such a thing as a bad Sean Connery movie!. but I do got the feeling that the reason he was wearing the Scottish kilt on was he was working on another Highlander movie at the same time as he was making the avengers. He didn't have the time for make up and dress changes so he just sort of had to deal with it. in my mind it was Kind of like one of those bad 1980s sitcom's like saved by the bell.

We've all seen that episode of that show, when a guy has a hot date with two dates on the same night and two sets of dress ties in the same dining room / hotel. and has to run back and forth during scenes. that's what was happening here.

2wrnozk.jpg

meanwhile on the other set.

547ywi.jpg

This is the real reason he had to retire from show business, He started getting the films mixed up and scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRVw8Fc4HM

best Sean Connery impression btw goes to Steve Coogan

• Like 2

uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

"Fucking A one, sunshine!

It never occured to me that it wasnt called Avengers Assemble outwith the UK even though I know its a reasonably common practice."

I wouldn't say it's due to this movie, but rather the show which is well-regarded on both sides of the Atlantic, but more of an aficianado thing over here so even if people didn't know the Marvel comics they mostly wouldn't think "what, Steed and Peel?" but they probably thought maybe they oughta differentiate a bit for the UK audience.

Sorry to go off topic, but Seriously Texas weather, I'm getting sick of your shit. It's been raining at night here, and getting up to 90+ degrees during the day all this past week...Which was the week I've been trying to move. 90% humidity and 90 degree heat while doing heavy lifting DOES NOT FEEL GOOD!!! I'm just glad 99% of the move is done now. (Also my friends in Houston almost got flooded again after spending all their money repairing water damage from the last flood. Thank Bodie it didn't get that high)

• Like 3