🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
T.D.

Citizen Kane vs. Vertigo

This is maybe a bit of an offbeat suggestion, but since I think we can all agree these are both "slam dunks," as Devin would say, I thought it might be interesting to pair them up.

In the past, the "versus" episodes have been some of my favorites. The films have been linked as entries within a franchise ("Star Wars" vs. "Empire"), as remakes ("Let the Right One In" vs. "Let Me In"), as those made by the same filmmaker (Peckinpah) as those covering similar subject matter (The Christ films, "Batman" vs. "Superman"), and as those related according to their place within the history of film special effects ("King Kong" vs. "Jurassic Park").

So along those lines, I thought it might be interesting to hear a discussion with two films linked according to their place within the history of film criticism, specifically as they relate to the famous Sight and Sound poll. "Citizen Kane" has gained a reputation among even the most casual movie-goer as the generally accepted "greatest movie of all time"-- I would argue to the film's detriment. It has become a movie nearly impossible to take on its own terms, without the baggage associated with that lofty status.

It's also been interesting looking back on "Vertigo" and how the perspective on that film has also changed since its release, until finally topping that very same poll. In fact, I only watched Vertigo for the first time after the most recent Sight and Sound poll, and at first I was sort of let down, not fully grasping the full extent of the film's power. I've since come around on the film, but I think this is a common experience amongst MANY filmgoers, both casual and hardcore alike-- watching a classic, well-regarded film and thinking "Really? That's it? What's the big deal?"

So perhaps these two films simply deserve their own dedicated episodes (There's certainly plenty to pick apart and discuss with both of them), and they might be too "safe" or "obvious" choices-- but personally, I'm less interested in a "correct" Canon that includes everything that "should" be included, and more interested in eliciting discussion about what the Canon is and why certain films are valued above others: Why was Vertigo ignored for so long as a canon-worthy film? What is it about Citizen Kane that cemented it as the standard-issue choice for "Greatest movie of all time"? What has changed in the last 60 years to sway the general opinions of critics? What are the forces that influence critical taste evaluation?

I think both films offer interesting counterpoints to one another, and rather than speaking to which film actually IS "better" than the other, I think instead there is interesting discussion to be had about the reasons WHY people regard one film as "better" than another.

• Like 2

First, I'd like to point out that this is an awsome idea, and I remember vaguely it being already around back in the days of the old forum.

Second, if I have to chose between Citizen Kane and Vertigo, it's pretty clear which one the only just answer is: Bicycle Thieves.

First, I'd like to point out that this is an wasome idea, and I remember vaguely it being already around back in the days of the old forum.

Second, if I have to chose between Citizen Kane and Vertigo, it's pretty clear which one the only just answer is: Bicycle Thieves.

Don't you mean Tangerine?

• Like 1

Don't you mean Tangerine?

Now you've got me all nostalgic for Korean spam.

Sign in to follow this