🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
giblet.kittensoup

Films that ruined Directors Careers vs. Episode

Interesting topic, although I don't know what you're referring to when you say "A Trip to the Moon" ruined Meiles career. It's my understanding that it was released at the height of his popularity; his decline didn't begin until at least 3 or 4 years later.

I also think it's an odd stretch to suggest "The Great Dictator" ruined Chaplin's career, as it was one of of his biggest hits both commercially and critically. Politically, it is tangentially related to the things that caused his ousting from America, but if I were to choose a film that served as the best representation of his personal/professional troubles and eventually downfall as a filmmaker, I'd go with his next film "Monsieur Verdoux."

"The Great Dictator" is a terrific choice for the Canon though (one of my personal favorites), but I'd rather hear it debated in its own episode or, if in a versus, pitted against another Chaplin film (Like maybe "Modern Times," his other most blatantly political Canon-worthy film), or another politically-charged satire, like Lubitsch's "To Be or Not To Be" or "Duck Soup."

The other two films you mentioned seem to better represent the "Ruined a Director's Career" label, but I don't believe either of them are Canon-worthy (although I am aware Heaven's Gate has had considerable re-evaluation in recent years and is regarded as a masterpiece by many so I'm sure it would make a fascinating episode regardless).

• Like 1

Interesting subject. And nobody has brought up Peeping Tom (1960) yet? Gentlemen, you disappoint me. Also, I'd like to point towards the Canon's own Freaks (1932).

• Like 1

Interesting subject. And nobody has brought up Peeping Tom (1960) yet? Gentlemen, you disappoint me. Also, I'd like to point towards the Canon's own Freaks (1932).

Came in this thread to post Peeping Tom, glad to see someone else stumping for Powell and / or Pressburger on this forum.

Came in this thread to post Peeping Tom, glad to see someone else stumping for Powell and / or Pressburger on this forum.

Yep, we do need some Archers in here. I'd love to hear a Red Shoes episode, for that matter.

Sign in to follow this