🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
joel_rosenbaum

Eddie Murphy comedies

I reckon this won't be especially popular given the antipathy for the John Landis movie that is already enshrined in the Canon (Animal House), and that two of Eddie Murphy's best movies were directed by John Landis. However, Murphy was a huge influence on comedy from the eighties onward, and opened the door for a generation of black comedians to enter the mainstream. Also, during his peak, he was fucking hilarious.

As for the films, Murphy headlined four of the highest grossing comedies of all time, three of which are worthy of Canon consideration: Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop, Coming to America. On top of those three, 48 Hours is also a worthy contender (maybe the best?).

• Like 1

48 Hours most definitely! I'd go to bat for Trading Places too (even as someone who didn't like Animal House).

• Like 1

I own a Zamudan coin from COMING TO AMERICA, so you can imagine that I would love to do that movie.

• Like 3

I'm not usually a fan of the versus proposals on here, however Trading Places vs. Coming to America would be great and have a reason to go head to head. Plus they connect with a cameo!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this