🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137.5 - Minisode 137.5

Okay, since there's UK accent talk in this thread as well, I just have to say that I have a thing for the Scottish accent. Like, a lot.

(But not Sean Connary's Scottish accent. for some reason when I hear him speak it's like the vocal equivalent of an asshole who doesn't know the meaning of personal space, who smells of booze and cigarettes and gives you a smack on the bum. Or is that just him in general?)

Also There's a particular accent that I think is kinda cute, but I'm not exactly sure which part it comes from or what to call it other than the Sean Bean accent.

I was watching "The Boy Next Door" in chunks over the past 24 hours and I just finished it.

What a miserable fucking movie. It's not fun to watch, so this better be a fun episode.

Check out the USED DVD section of AMAZON for the Boy Next Door, they are real cheap.

it's on itunes but you have to buy the full movie. 9 dollars in sd, if you select that option it's a bit cheaper. Look for that option if you want it a bit lower in price. ;)

if you buy it on amazon, make sure you use the earwolf promo code.

http://www.earwolf.com/insider/

Found my copy in the collection, right next to samural cop,outcast, tusk, blended, the number 23, blown away. all waiting for ya paul.

Also There's a particular accent that I think is kinda cute, but I'm not exactly sure which part it comes from or what to call it other than the Sean Bean accent.

yorkshire ... or more specifically sheffield. northern england

• Like 1

Speaking of accents, I realized this weekend Hayley Atwell has the perfect one. That's the accent that does it for me.

• Like 2

While I get what you're saying, I don't know if the kind of gravitas you're talking about would have been appropriate in a children's film. Certainly the idea of the last of one's species facing off against the prime architect of that genocide is an interesting concept, but I think it was more important for this movie to keep it light, show that they were evenly matched, and ultimately (as co-stars of the movie), likeable as characters. And without getting too dark, I think the film got across the tragedy of being the last dragon in a way that would resonate with kids without tipping into grim and dour territory.

But I do agree that they maybe should have just done it. I would have liked to see what they do with a movie that they might not have a lot to say about (or maybe even liked?) if for no other reason than to see them rise to that challenge--kind of like what Rifftrax did with Casablanca and The Wizard of Oz. I kind of feel like it was a missed opportunity to do something different, and as I've also said before, I don't like the idea of them changing the movie due to audience disapproval--if that was in fact the real reason. Not only does it set a kind of shitty precedent (every movie is going to be someone's favorite movie) but they've done plenty of movies that I personal enjoy and their skewering of them has never changed my opinion at all. If anything, it just makes me love those movies more.

I like the way you talk movies. I agree that what Dragonheart does well is established the loneliness and anger of what it must be like to be the last of one's kind, and in a manner digestible for the film's target audience. There's a lot of great myth-making groundwork here, what with the Dragons having a soul-connection with humans, an ancient race returning to the stars, etc. Good stuff hidden amongst some very clumsy CGI and terribly choreographed fight sequences.

I just think Quaid's years-long murder-spree undermines his own story and the sympathy the viewer might have for him, as well as the eventual friendship he would establish with Draco. I also think it undermines the humor that could derive from Pete Postlethwaite's (oh, I love him) traveling poet-monk character since it would be easier to believe this lovable bumbling sidekick would start writing adoring and naive Knight Errant poetry about Quiad if he wasn't constantly spearing to death these beautiful, endangered sentient beings. Though... actual knights of the Middle Ages were more like Game of Thrones characters than anybody exhorting the virtues of the "Old Code."

I just think the film would have worked better if Quaid became a bitter bum, wandering around the countryside, babbling about his hatred for dragons (creatures that had all but disappeared, just as rare a being as a knight who follows the Old Code) rather than killing them. If Draco was already the last dragon without Quaid's search-and-destroy efforts, his anger wouldn't even have a face to focus on. He would be useless until, with the help of Postlethwaite and Draco, he put aside his anger just as Draco must in order to do some last bit of good before all their kinds go extinct.

And yes, I know I am critically analyzing fucking DragonHeart... but I just love talking about movies! I'm a big fucking nerd, what can I say?

• Like 4

And yes, I know I am critically analyzing fucking DragonHeart... but I just love talking about movies! I'm a big fucking nerd, what can I say?

Please don't ever change. :)

• Like 3

Okay, since there's UK accent talk in this thread as well, I just have to say that I have a thing for the Scottish accent. Like, a lot.

Well, hullo there... *knocks back a Glenmorangie, adjusts kilt*

Actually I don't think my accent lines up with any of the famous scotspeoples' that people might enjoy. :(

• Like 3

(But not Sean Connary's Scottish accent. for some reason when I hear him speak it's like the vocal equivalent of an asshole who doesn't know the meaning of personal space, who smells of booze and cigarettes and gives you a smack on the bum. Or is that just him in general?)

That's a South Yorkshire accent

(Me--watching TBND)

giphy.gif

Thanks HDTGM! Between this, Dragonheart, Captain Ron, Death of Superman Lives, and Zootopia I've been having a stellar movie watching week!

• Like 2

I know I've already thrown out a game idea earlier, but in honor of the idea of "ridiculous first editions of classic works of literature," I thought it might be fun to re-post all of our first forum posts just to see how far we've come. What I want to see is everyone's first forum post that's in response to a movie or mini-episode they've done (i.e. not a question to Paul or "favorite guest" type post).

Here was mine:

So, here's what I want: Paul, June, and Jason writing Sharknado 3: Yup, again...scored completely by Koch Blockerman and Bobby McFerrin doing 60's surf rock covers. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I would also very much like Aukerman and McFerrin's supergroup to be called Scat-illogical.

I am open to other movie titles or alternate names for the Aukerman/McFerrin combo....

(Honestly, I don't know how much I've grown since I still stand by every last word of that post 100%.)

• Like 3

I had a post in the "What got you into the podcast?" topic but my first movie-related one was:

Han Solo's comment on Chewie's family and the Fast & Furious reference above makes me want to see a Star Wars Holiday Special-themed Fast & Furious movie. Han & Chewie could steal the talisman from the Boba Fett cartoon but it's up in one of the Kashyyk treehouses. They crash the Falcon into the one house, steal the talisman then have to jump between trees to the next house.

Wow I was an idiot. :unsure:

• Like 3

Here's my very first post and, quite frankly, it's fucking great.

Well, when you look at it from a different perspective, it makes perfect sense,

Geri Halliwell kisses the Alien on the mouth.

The scene where they're all pregnant (including Geri)

Now, this following point changes the whole movie

Geri Halliwell is Chev Chelios' mother in Crank 2.

Spiceworld is actually the first Crank movie! Geri banged the alien offscreen, got pregnant via the alien and gave birth to Chev Chelios!!

That explains why the flashback scene in Crank 2, set in the 90s shows Chev as a kid, when Chev is about 40, it's the alien genes which is making him age much faster, on top of that, Chev never met his father.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it's telling me it can't go past a year ago and I've been on the boards longer than that. So I have no idea what my first post really was.

I think it was about Lewis Carrol references in Gooby though.

• Like 1

I like the way you talk movies. I agree that what Dragonheart does well is established the loneliness and anger of what it must be like to be the last of one's kind, and in a manner digestible for the film's target audience. There's a lot of great myth-making groundwork here, what with the Dragons having a soul-connection with humans, an ancient race returning to the stars, etc. Good stuff hidden amongst some very clumsy CGI and terribly choreographed fight sequences.

I just think Quaid's years-long murder-spree undermines his own story and the sympathy the viewer might have for him, as well as the eventual friendship he would establish with Draco. I also think it undermines the humor that could derive from Pete Postlethwaite's (oh, I love him) traveling poet-monk character since it would be easier to believe this lovable bumbling sidekick would start writing adoring and naive Knight Errant poetry about Quiad if he wasn't constantly spearing to death these beautiful, endangered sentient beings. Though... actual knights of the Middle Ages were more like Game of Thrones characters than anybody exhorting the virtues of the "Old Code."

I just think the film would have worked better if Quaid became a bitter bum, wandering around the countryside, babbling about his hatred for dragons (creatures that had all but disappeared, just as rare a being as a knight who follows the Old Code) rather than killing them. If Draco was already the last dragon without Quaid's search-and-destroy efforts, his anger wouldn't even have a face to focus on. He would be useless until, with the help of Postlethwaite and Draco, he put aside his anger just as Draco must in order to do some last bit of good before all their kinds go extinct.

First of all, Thank You for the compliment :)

Yeah, even after I wrote my response I was like, "Is Dennis Quaid likeable in this?" But I like where your head is at. I guess they were hoping to make him a more sympathetic character rather than a likeable one. But, with what you wrote, they could have probably have had both.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it's a tough nut to crack. Originally, I was going to say why not just make Quaid a knight under a despotic king who urges his men to attack a random dragon (like, for sport or bragging rights), Quaid says this is a bad idea, but is ordered to go through with it anyway. Then, in the ensuing melee--and in self-defense--the dragon burns down a village full of innocents--maybe even Quaid's family dies as a result. This would lead directly into your story of him being this bum, mercenary knight and give his character a reason to hate both the king and dragons while still preserving himself and the dragon as a virtuous characters. Plus, it would give him a reason not to hunt the dragons outright since he is aware of the collateral damage that action might cause. The only problem with that is that it would excise the whole idea of the only way to kill the king is to kill the last dragon, which is an important plot element and poses a kind of Prisoner's Dilemma for the protagonists. Although, as a possible solution, maybe instead of a literal dragon heart, maybe you re-write it so that the king's surname is "Dragonheart." Then there could be a legend that, long ago, one of the king's forefathers got a blood transplant or something from a friendly dragon, and as a result, the bloodline of the two are inextricably linked and the "Dragonheart" line will only survive as long as dragons still exist. The king knows of this legend, but thinks it is just that: a legend. However, when he injures the last dragon (Sho'Nuff) he comes to realize that maybe their fates are intertwined. This way, the onus of the whole dragon murdering business is placed squarely on the shoulders of the king--instead of Quaid--making him the instrument of his own destruction. Fuck, Quasar! I think you and I need to re-boot this sucker.

Also, I agree with you about Postlethwaite. He was so damn good in this movie and I was really disappointed when his character disappeared for a good chunk of it. I would like it, if in our movie, this character meets Quaid in a tavern or something and just sort of tags along with this bum knight thinking he's going to be witness to feats of valor and chivalry, only to be heart-broken to see it's not like that at all. But as the conscience of the movie, and through his paeans of praise for the knights from the Old Times, he helps Quaid realize the goodness that he already possesses and encourages him to turn his life around and be a true Knight of the Code.

• Like 2

Im too embarrassed.

mrsdoyle.gif

Unfortunately it's telling me it can't go past a year ago and I've been on the boards longer than that. So I have no idea what my first post really was.

I think it was about Lewis Carrol references in Gooby though.

I found it, but I won't post it without your permission.

• Like 3

I found it, but I won't post it without your permission.

Why does Earwolf show you my first post but not me!? *Flips table*

I'm sure if was super dumb and embarrassing so why the hell not lol.

• Like 3

Why does Earwolf show you my first post but not me!? *Flips table*

I'm sure if was super dumb and embarrassing so why the hell not lol.

To be fair, it doesn't. I just did what I did for mine--which was pull up the comments for that episode and I compared the time stamp of your post with your "member since" date. Like mine, they were only a week or so apart so I doubt you posted anything earlier than that.

Anyway, here you go!

I know that this episode is done but just in case Paul ever sees this I really need to get this out there.

They mentioned a lot of super creepy molestation innuendos throughout the movie and then Eugene Levy's odd fascination with Lewis Carroll. Now they just thought that his mentioning the author was just because he wanted to be famous like him after he wrote the three children's books. But I think it ties in more with the creepy molestation crap. Lewis Carroll was a known perv. He had an odd relationship with the little girl that had inspired Alice in Wonderland that her parents were very uncomfortable with. And then he took many many pictures of children, some of them even in the nude. I have more of a feeling that Eugene Levy's character was way more into kids than they wanted us to believe.

(Source: I minored in art history and studied the history of photography my last semester. So we delved into creepy photographers like Carroll.)

ETA: At least you didn't name drop "Bobby McFerrin" amidst a sea of terrible word play.

• Like 2

To be fair, it doesn't. I just did what I did for mine--which was pull up the comments for that episode and I compared the time stamp to your post with your "member since" date. Like mine, they were only a week or so apart so I doubt you posted anything earlier than that.

Anyway, here you go!

You sleuth!

Also I was right! Go me! And it wasn't as embarrassing as I thought! Just me, once a-fuckin-gain, wanting to talk about Art History!

• Like 2

mrsdoyle.gif

Aww, okay then, just for the gosh darned heck of it.

Just joined here after spending the last month or so catching up on HDTGM after accidently stumbling on it while looking for something to listen to to keep me alive while working night shifts.

I saw Trollhunter a few days ago and just thought I'd give it a bump here as while its undoubtedly a very enjoyable watch theres stuff that, as the ancient post above mentions, scream out to be taken apart, prodded a bit and then flung into a corner in frustration.

For instance, while fully acknowledging it was made on a very limited budget, the CGI goes from extremely impressive to something closer to sub sub Harryhausen seconds later and make Wallace and Gromit look like Jurassic World.

The trolls themselves are too comical looking and after consulting wiki after watching I found out that they were based on Norwegian cartoon postcard type trolls for kids.

Although they give an endearingly daft and laughable pseudo scientific explanation for the trolls turning to stone in daylight, or more accurately UV light, they never try to explain in any way the fact that the trolls get enraged by the smell of the blood of a Christian or believer in God, even though that turns out to be a pretty big element of the story. Also when the young Muslim camerawoman turns up, Hans, the troll hunter, who previously was pretty strict that everyone must be an atheist for their own safety, doesnt seem to give a shit that the girl is muslim, when asked if that is okay he just shrugs and says "we'll see" & that's all, he doesnt give a shit at all, even though, although Im no theologist by any stretch of the imagination, I'm still pretty sure that Muslims believe in God.

Which might make the trolls a sub Artic off shoot of ISIS or something, just going after the Christians.

The oh so clever electricity pylons that are actually cunningly disguised electric fences to keep the trolls in their preserve might be okay for the giant trolls but most of the others, even though pretty big, are nowhere near tall enough to be affected by the height of the wires and can just casually stroll under or maybe just duck to avoid the wires.

Oh, and though its repeatedly stated that daylight is deadly to trolls, the climatic fight with the giant troll takes place completely in daylight. Or the grimy sunlight of the long artic summer daytime at least, but still daylight no matter what.

But still a very enjoyable watch and worth a good kicking.

And mention must be made of the really clever editing at the end where the Norwegian prime minister casually mentions in a press conference that there are trolls about and the ministry of wildlife guy from the film who is sitting beside him nearly shits his pants when its said. It wasnt until wiki-ing afterwards that i realised that that was the actual Norwegian PM at the time of the films release. That bit is really well done.

giphy.gif

You just cant go wrong with a Mrs Doyle gif.

• Like 2

I'll tell you this though, Twitter has fucking ruined Father Ted and The IT Crowd for me, because Graham Linehan has shown himself to be such a huge douche, I tried watching them, and all I could think was "He's such a douche".

• Like 1

Here's my first post:

Can we have a whole episode about movies that June thought were other movies?

One thing I was surprised that no one brought up was the fact that pilots are supposed to stay in the cockpit behind a reinforced door. If there's a gun in the cockpit, it should only be used to fight off people who have forced their way into the cabin.

Also, the crouch fight has to be one of the silliest things I've ever seen.

And finally, what do you think the fan budget was on this movie? There has to be at least one fan in 80% of the scenes.

Also, for anyone else looking for their first post, you can go to the Advanced Search, search for your user name, and specify a date range around your signup date (mine was April 17, 2015, so I did a search for April 1-April 30).

• Like 2

I know I've already thrown out a game idea earlier, but in honor of the idea of "ridiculous first editions of classic works of literature," I thought it might be fun to re-post all of our first forum posts just to see how far we've come. What I want to see is everyone's first forum post that's in response to a movie or mini-episode they've done (i.e. not a question to Paul or "favorite guest" type post).

Mine was for Jupiter Ascending. That episode is special to me because I listened to it when I was trapped in the Guadalajara airport for 14 hours so it turned at least a part of the ordeal into a pleasurable experience.

Omission

No mention in the podcast of how even the heroes of this movie (minus Jupiter) seem to be totally on board with the idea of planet scale genocide to produce the fountain of youth serum. Even if they don't explicitly support it nobody says a word against it until Jupiter comes along. Stinger sold them out to get money for the serum for his daughter (who had a mild cough). The space cops definitely didn't appear to be cracking down on it.

Lesser omission

What did the word royalty even mean in this movie? It seemed like the Abrasax family was just ludicrously rich. But they were still bound by the ridiculous bureaucracy. They didn't seem to be at the top of any form of government. And the ineffective space cops tried to give the Abrasax orders but they were just ignored since they were outgunned. The "your majesty" part just felt silly. It would be like if in the US we started calling Bill Gates your majesty.

• Like 1

I'll tell you this though, Twitter has fucking ruined Father Ted and The IT Crowd for me, because Graham Linehan has shown himself to be such a huge douche, I tried watching them, and all I could think was "He's such a douche".

Yeah. I can fully understand, he does seem a self righteous ballbag, but I still just cant let his ridiculous blethering ruin either of those classics for me.

What about Toast of London? (See avatar) That's his very much more stable writing partner Arthur Mathews' gig along with the tour de force that is Matt Berry. Its got to go right up there with the previously mentioned two.

Also, slightly off topic, the one off Alan Partridge special last week, Scissored Isle, had me near choking with laughter more than a few times.

• Like 1