🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This is not a bad movie. In fact, it's one of the best of the year. But it has one of the most out-there premises of any films ever. It deals with Colin Farrell's crisis after he is taken to a hotel in the near future, where he has 45 days to fall in love or else he will be surgically turned into an animal. But It's an excellent satire on society's sexual and relationship standards. I would reccomend the HDTGM do an episode just for its scheer absurdity though.

I so much wanted to like this movie yet got let down quickly. I watched it twice because I didn't think i got it at first but then after the second viewing it still didn't make sense.

Unlike the High Rise that is great. You should check that one out,

I so much wanted to like this movie yet got let down quickly. I watched it twice because I didn't think i got it at first but then after the second viewing it still didn't make sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6izQcDNNA

I am trying to find time to see this one as it does look interesting.

As for High Rise, I thought it was okay, albeit a bit long winded and at times a bit too artsy for its own good. To me it reminded me of Blindness with Julianne Moore in that it had a great premise, but then got bogged down in an over complicated message.

High Rise was one of two movies rilmed on location here in my home town in the past few years. The other being Robot Overlords, and the less said about that the better....in fact, now that I think of it Robot Overlords would be ideal HDTGM fodder.

Most the interior shots of High Rise were shot in the soon to be demolished municpal Leisure Centre and swimming pool which is a not going to be missed 70s brutalist nightmare of exposed concrete and weird angles. And the walled garden is an actual place which is quite as lovely in real life as it looks in the movie and free to the public...and only about 500 yards from the public housing estate (project) where I grew up as a teenager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6izQcDNNA

I watched "A Field In England" a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it (but I can see why it got a negative reaction), so since this is by the same director I will add it to my list.

The Lobster is one of my top films of the year so far. It is a weird premise, but I don't think it would make that great a HDTGM movie. The thing with this film is that if you're willing to buy into the premise, everything else falls in line. If you're not on board with the premise, then nothing really makes sense. So maybe if you approached it from the latter perspective, but even then, there are far more HDTGM-worthy films this year than The Lobster.

• Like 1

I watched "A Field In England" a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it (but I can see why it got a negative reaction), so since this is by the same director I will add it to my list.

I tried to watching "A Field In England" twice now and I feel like I am missing some sort of drug, like LSD, I don't do drugs but I just could not get into the mood to enjoy that film.

ohh btw, you guys and ladys. Tom Hiddleston is also in the Night Manager a great tv mini SERIES, He's a really great actor. Never watched any of his marvel movies but I did enjoy him in both programs I have talked about here. the Night Manager and HIghRise. Check out the the Night Manager it's worth your time.

Yeah right. Lanthimos is a genius artist. This would be like trying to shit talk David Lynch.

Lobster is my #1 film of the year, and I don't see it changing.

• Like 2

24 Hour Party Pizza, May have to re-watch Lobster again. been having a lars von trier level of depression lately. so I may have to rewatch it based on the fact that you used the Name David Lynch someone I truly love.

24 Hour Party Pizza, May have to re-watch Lobster again. been having a lars von trier level of depression lately. so I may have to rewatch it based on the fact that you used the Name David Lynch someone I truly love.

Have you seen Dogtooth or ALPS? Try watching Dogtooth, it's very similar in tone and style. The kind of bizarro, skewed normalcy that Lanthimos trades in is right up my alley -- similar to Lynch's Blue Velvet (my favorite film of all time). I honestly found The Lobster to be hilarious and also very touching, especially the ending.

Yeah right. Lanthimos is a genius artist. This would be like trying to shit talk David Lynch.

Lobster is my #1 film of the year, and I don't see it changing.

Ehhhhh. I'm pretty lukewarm on David Lynch. I either really love his films or totally hate them. But the ones I don't like would be almost impossible to do on HDTGM.

I would say around Mulholland Drive everything got a little more crazy and more industrial feel. I love Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, dune was ok at best. The Elephant Man can't remember seeing all of it.Eraserhead is Eraserhead.take it or leave it. and lets not forget Twin Peaks, I love Twin Peaks. "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" was at best ok, but it wasn't needed for the story. and just left us with more questions then answers and really just screw ball nonsense.

Kind of like Tom Waits music did, it got almost to the point of unlistenable by the late 80s with "Mule Variations" by "Bone Machine" it was just like at that point forget it.

I still like "Nighthawks at the Diner" "Swordfishtrombones" "Rain Dogs" and "franks wild years"

24 Hour Party Pizza, to clarify your talking about this Alps (2011)

and NOT "The Alps"

and "Dogtooth.2009"

I'll check them out when I have the time. thanks.

Have you seen Dogtooth or ALPS? Try watching Dogtooth, it's very similar in tone and style. The kind of bizarro, skewed normalcy that Lanthimos trades in is right up my alley -- similar to Lynch's Blue Velvet (my favorite film of all time). I honestly found The Lobster to be hilarious and also very touching, especially the ending.

Dogtooth, that was different if you like that sort of thing. it reminded me of a french film called

it's got the best opening to a movie ever and a kick ass soundtrack. I haven't seen it in a long time but i remember renting that and after watching it for 2 mins saying what the fuck. that magic moment was over taken by a film called " Devil in the Flesh" 1986 that has a scene that will just blow your mind.

tried to watch The Alps last night could not get into it. maybe give it one more go but not sure.