🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RobertBoberts

Kurosawa?

Perhaps I missed it but there's been 80 podcasts and I believe not a single Kurosawa film has been nominated. Might I suggest Ikiru rather than the obvious Seven Samurai?

• Like 1

There was another thread that contained the no-Kurosawa angst, but nothing wrong with another in my book. He's my favorite, and there's plenty of Canon-worthy material to choose from besides Seven Samurai or Rashomon.

High and Low, Stray Dog, Yojimbo, Ikiru, and Ran would all be great picks; Kurosawa sometimes gets lumped into people's "dry foreign director" camp, and the first three of those in particular are as entertaining as they are representative of Kurosawa's greatness.

I'm sure they'll get to him eventually, but I'm plenty happy to rock the vote.

• Like 2

I like the Ikiru suggestion a lot. It's an offbeat choice and criminally underseen.

I adore Kurosawa's samurai flicks, but they've overtaken his reputation to such a degree that I'd love to see The Canon explore the fringes of his filmography. It's the same reason why I find it fun that the first Hawks film discussed on the podcast is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes rather than, say, Rio Bravo or His Girl Friday.

As for a samurai film, Kobayashi's Harakiri would be canon worthy. Same screenwriter as Ikiru, Rashomon and Seven Samurai.

I think a remake versus would be very interesting between Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars.

Throne of Blood is one of my personal favorites and has one of the creepiest sequences of all time.

Personally, I'd go with Stray Dog, because it's not as well known, but it more or less invents the buddy cop genre. Plus, it's absolute dynamite, and my personal favorite of Kurosawa's near-flawless filmography.

• Like 1

I'd be remiss if I didn't openly admit that I want Seven Samurai in The Canon first and foremost, but Kurasowa needs to be in The Canon period, and Ikiru is not a lesser film. I'd also highly recommend Drunken Angel and The Bad Sleep Well.

Also, let's get Ran in there as well? Maybe do a XXL Canon episode and do a big three way vs. between three of his Samurai films?

PS Am I the only one who'd openly vote for something like Hanzo the Razor, or The Sword of Doom?!?

PSS The Sword of Doom is pretty much a Canon movie. Let's just get that in the Canon already?!

Sign in to follow this