🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 138 - The Boy Next Door (w/ Heather Anne Campbell, Ben Siemon)

Heather Anne Campbell of Whose Line Is It Anyway? and Ben Siemon of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend join Paul and Jason in-studio to talk about the Jennifer Lopez erotic thriller The Boy Next Door. The wet cookie scene, the first edition of "Iliad," vacant Chinatown and much more is discussed as well as another debate about man buns. Plus, a reviewer might have issues with their television as we hear a couple of 2nd Opinions!

Wow! Old intro music returns.....sort of.

Paul, youre collapsing to popular will faster than a politician with a sex scandal loomìng.

• Like 3

Okay, so I've done a little digging for a "First Edition of The Iliad", and I have found an edition from 1611, said to be the first English translation. I hate to admit it, but it is a reasonably priced gift for when you're trying to bang a sexy English Teacher... if you're the Sultan of Brunei or just have a spare £40,000 ($57,862) lying around.

You can get it from http://www.abebooks....ad%26an%3DHomer - But, I will warn you, they are charging £6 for delivery in the UK, so it's pretty steep, and will only get more expensive if you have it sent to another country. I would have ordered it, but I'm not paying £6 for delivery. They're taking the piss with that.

• Like 12

I think Gabe Callaghan might be asking for his money back after that tribute.

• Like 2

I watched this movie when it came out and thought that it would be perfect for an HDTGM episode so thanks for making it! What a 90's movie this is! JLo hasn't aged in 20 years and neither has her taste in scripts it seems.

• Like 3

When Jason said that he took a girl to see The Replacements, I was hoping that he actually took a girl to see the Keanu Reeves football movie. I love that movie.

• Like 6

jason hit on this in the episode but it really annoyed me. things happen in this movie and are then completely forgotten about. there are no follow ups to anything. i mean there are no consequences to anything in this movie (apart form, you know, the epi pen to the eye thing).

examples:

- BND (boy next door) sends the email to get himself into jlos class ... she asks her son did he send it? -- thats it. (why would the son send it)

- BND beats the shit outta the red head bully. puts his head through a locker ... he's a 20 year old beating up a kid ... nothing

Jlo never asks the BND about any of this. never confronts him. nothing!

- BND sleeps with the sons dream girl ... , son never finds out, again ... no follow up

- breaks cut in the car, fair enough the dad and son dont know that the BND had anything to do with it but the whole thing is just glossed over in a second. no call back.

- son nearly dies in the gym .. we never see Jlo or dad get told or show any concern ... nothing ...

- Jlo goes to an evidence yard and meets the guy from the dharma initiative. he just shows her around ... no worries ... contaminate every item in the yard to make sure none of it can ever be used in a trial .. then jlo asks "was that a 06 minivan", "yes it was" replies dharma guy. and jlo walks away. like shes dropping the mic or something. this strange woman knows something about a case and dharma guy just lets her walk away?

would love to see a first draft of this script and compare it to what ended up on screen. i'd say most of this was cut to make the 90 minutes or something.

• Like 7

I've found even more on the First Edition Iliad scene. The screenwriter, Barbara Curry, didn't even write it.

http://fusion.net/st...fault-not-mine/

She said this about the scene:

“Much of my original script was rewritten by the producers and the director. I was not given the opportunity to participate in the production of this movie... As for the first edition ‘Iliad’ reference in the movie, that was not something I wrote in my original script,”

• Like 9

i had this in the mini thread but its just funny to me so here it goes

if google "iliad first edition" ... all that comes up is references to this movie ... i love that

30ctw2h.jpg

and theres two interesting things in the buzzfeed article:

the writers take:

"And one of the people complaining was the film’s screenwriter, Barbara Curry, who told Fusion that she was not responsible for the scene in question. “Much of my original script was rewritten by the producers and the director,” she said. “As for the first edition Iliad reference in the movie, that was not something I wrote in my original script.”"

and the directors take:

"While the Iliad-based audience criticism irked Cohen a bit, he said, “That tells me they’re watching and listening and thinking and they’re engaged; even if they think we’re idiots, I’m not an idiot. I’m a book collector and I know about first editions.”"

edit: sorry smigg ... just saw you beat me to it.

• Like 12

I have a theory why the other car on the laptop was just "2006 minivan". I laughed out loud at that scene when the minivan crashed and immediately exploded with the force of 20 Ford Pintos. It makes the minivan look like a deathtrap. And although I believe they removed the badges from it the minivan was clearly a Dodge/Chrysler product.

The other prominently featured car is the Dodge Challenger. It was featured so much that it felt like surely there was some deal between Dodge and the filmmakers. Maybe they figured Rob "Fast and Furious" Cohen would really show off their car well. But then the car executives saw a rough cut of the movie and saw their other product being shown as a rolling bomb and forced them to scrub their name off of that.

• Like 3

I'm watching the movie this weekend so I'll stay out of the forum until then. Have a good weekend everyone!

It was odd that after they crash the car with the brakes cut when we see it next it is just back in the driveway at home. They didn't want to take it to a garage get fixed? Maybe The Wiz told his dad that his friend next door is great with cars and could fix it for them.

• Like 2

Does Zouks really not know that Warren Fitzgerald of The Vandals did the original theme? He kept asking if the new one was done by "the same guy" that did the original one.

But I do like the new theme. I also like the old one. And the even older one. They're all great.

• Like 3

Great episode!

They touched on it briefly in the episode, but when J Lo does her best Sam Spade impression over in San Bernandino, not only do they have the car available to view, but the detective tells her that he remembers that specific accident! I mean, I guess it would be reasonable to think that maybe there was something unusual about the accident (as it stands out in his memory out of the hundreds of car accidents he probably investigates every year) and J Lo seems to think so too since she asks him about the brakes on the vehicle. At which point, the detective straight up LAUGHS IN HER FACE, and says, "Oh, no. Nothing unusual. He had a history of DUI's..."

So...you're telling me that this detective remembers an accident, and all the relevant details, from a crash that occurred over a year ago?!?

Detective: "Oh, you mean that average, run-of-the-mill accident that happened a year ago that gave us no reason to suspect foul play? Of course I know everything about that incident! Please, ma'am, step right this way..."

• Like 6

Great episode!

They touched on it briefly in the episode, but when J Lo does her best Sam Spade impression over in San Bernandino, not only do they have the car available to view, but the detective tells her that he remembers that specific accident! So at this point I guess it would be reasonable to think that maybe there was something unusual about the accident--as it stands out in his memory, out of the hundreds of car accidents he investigates every year. And J Lo seems to think so too since she asks him about the brakes on the vehicle. At which point, the detective straight up LAUGHS IN HER FACE, and says, "Oh, no. Nothing unusual. He had a history of DUI's..."

So...you're telling me that this detective remembers an accident and all the relevant details from a crash that occurred over a year ago?!?

Detective: "Oh, you mean that average, run-of-the-mill accident that happened a year ago that gave us no reason to suspect foul play? Of course I know everything about that incident! Please, ma'am, step right this way..."

Typical Dharma Initiative shadiness.

• Like 2

EpiPens are indicated for exercise-induced anaphylaxis, so that boxing scene is somewhat believable. However, I think The Wiz's allergist is supplying him with counterfeit EpiPens, because that's not how they work. First of all, the needle in these auto-injectors are maybe 1/4 the size portrayed in the film. I did a double take at the needle, because it was cartoonishly oversized. Second, with EpiPens, the needle is always covered. The orange tip without the visible needle is pressed into the leg then when you pull the EpiPen away, the needle retracts and it's completely covered by the orange tip. Also, if this kid does suffer from exercise-induced anaphylaxis, you'd think the school wouldn't let him participate in vigorous physical activity. Come on, vice principal Chenoweth, I thought it was your job to look at student files.

• Like 6

EpiPens are indicated for exercise-induced anaphylaxis, so that boxing scene is somewhat believable. However, I think The Wiz's allergist is supplying him with counterfeit EpiPens, because that's not how they work. First of all, the needle in these auto-injectors are maybe 1/4 the size portrayed in the film. I did a double take at the needle, because it was cartoonishly oversized. Second, with EpiPens, the needle is always covered. The orange tip without the visible needle is pressed into the leg then when you pull the EpiPen away, the needle retracts and it's completely covered by the orange tip. Also, if this kid does suffer from exercise-induced anaphylaxis, you'd think the school wouldn't let him participate in vigorous physical activity. Come on, vice principal Chenoweth, I thought it was your job to look at student files.

During that scene when someone off camera yells "shove it in his leg!" I imagined that was the director yelling stage directions and they just left it in.

• Like 9

I haven't listened yet, but I wanted to give Heather Anne a shout out for that rockin' middle name.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

So, brake lines. This always bothers me in movies. If brake lines were cut enough to actually cause brakes to fail, there would be a huge puddle of brake fluid that would be 100% obvious. Also, when starting the car, wouldn't the lack of brake pressure be immediately noticeable? Like, when you change out brake pads, you have to compress the brake piston, which pushes the fluid up the brake line and back into the master cylinder. When you first get in your car after that, the brake feels like it has no tension. You pump the pedal a couple times, and the fluid runs back down the line, and you can feel the tension return to the brakes. I would assume getting in a car with no brake fluid would be almost the same thing.

Also, modern cars have a hydraulic emergency brake that's completely separate from the main brakes, so even if your brakes fail, you can use the emergency brake. Additionally, most people know (at least, I hope they do) that if your brakes fail, you should downshift to a lower gear and basically let your car slow itself down.

Basically, I'm not saying that it's infeasible for failing brakes to kill someone; it just seems like a really shitty plan to murder someone because you're relying on them missing all of the cues that their brakes aren't working and then not knowing how to react in the situation.

However, all of this reminds me of another movie that would be a really great HDTGM film: 2001's The Glass House. Cutting brake lines factors heavily into the plot of that ridiculous mess, too (and it has Stellar Skateboard in it!).

• Like 5