🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 138 - The Boy Next Door (w/ Heather Anne Campbell, Ben Siemon)

im trying to build a DVD collection of HDTGM movies (im about half way there) .. so i was looking for cheap copies of this and i saw some other stuff that popped up when i search for boy next door on ebay

would anyone want this on a mug?

i mean other than jason

http://www.ebay.ie/i...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rtp5c6.jpg

• Like 4

im trying to build a DVD collection of HDTGM movies (im about half way there) .. so i was looking for cheap copies of this and i saw some other stuff that popped up when i search for boy next door on ebay

would anyone want this on a mug?

i mean other than jason

http://www.ebay.ie/i...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rtp5c6.jpg

Is that one of those mugs where her clothes disappear when their is coffee or tea in it?

Everything about that feels scummy as hell. I always wondered why Blumhouse irked me somehow, other than producing awful cheap movies.

See, I love the likes of Roger Corman and Lloyd Kaufman, so someone making movies on the super-cheap like that I actually find admirable. Admittedly, Blum's films sound way less fun than the work of the two I mentioned.

*shrug*

Oh, no, I enjoy those as well! The thing is, the movies by those guys are unapologetic in how bad and/or low budget they are, whether they mean for them to be or not. But for some reason Blumhouse movies try and market themselves as being polished and fake-mid budget movies, and brag about how small the budget was, but they come off as cheap and disingenuous. Like a knock-off movie. It's alright, it's fine and works, but it just doesn't work as well, and would be better off spending a little bit more money. and it's all because Blum is so strict and unforgiving with the budget, which, to me, is the same as a big name studio not funding a movie because it's "Too risky."

• Like 2

Quick informal survey:

Does anyone else change into pajamas before getting ready to go out? Like, take a shower, get into PJs, get out of PJs, and then get ready for a date...? Because it sure seems like J Lo did in this movie, and I found that to be highly bizarre,,,

We see her with damp hair sitting in a chair, she tries on her "going out" shoes, she ogles TBND while simultaneously thrusting her hip out of her pajama slit, and then in the next scene, she's in...Chinatown? I mean, maybe it was supposed to be the next day, but if so, the movie certainly didn't bother to mark the passage of time.

I could understand that. The first thing I do after coming home from work is to change into PJs. If I get home around 5:30 and if dinner's at 9, then yes, it wouldn't be weird to change into PJs in between.

• Like 4

I could understand that. The first thing I do after coming home from work is to change into PJs. If I get home around 5:30 and if dinner's at 9, then yes, it wouldn't be weird to change into PJs in between.

I get that, but...wasn't her hair wet? That means she took a shower, and THEN got into pjs, did her hair and make up, got out of her pjs, then got dressed. I mean, I would get a bathrobe or towel...but pjs?

So, yes, I understand pjs before a shower, but not after if you're going out.

ETA: And just so everyone knows, this isn't exactly the hill I'm going to die on. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just genuinely curious though if anyone actually does this.

I could see that. I don't own a bathrobe and towels tend to slip. Plus, immediately after a shower, some people like to moisturize, and you wouldn't want that getting on your clothes.

• Like 3

So, I know we've had the big buns debate of 2016 debate already.

But how about the big "buns" debate. As in, I can't stand the word "buns" in the context of referring to someone's butt. It just sounds like the way someone's skeezy middle-aged aunt would refer to it.

Anyone else?

• Like 2

The making of this movie was the topic of a NPR Planet Money Episode (Episode 650 — The Scariest Thing in Hollywood — which discusses the economics of the low budget Blumehouse Production.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/09/11/439632877/episode-650-the-scariest-thing-in-hollywood

Ironically the reason there was no-one at the dance, or extra, was budgetary concern. There is actually a whole part toward the end where the director, Rob Cohen, discusses how the car-chase scene forced the movie to go over the 4.2 million budget and what he did to get the $24,000 to get the fake head to do the epicene in the eye shot.

Quick informal survey:

Does anyone else change into pajamas before getting ready to go out? Like, take a shower, get into PJs, get out of PJs, and then get ready for a date...? Because it sure seems like J Lo did in this movie, and I found that to be highly bizarre,,,

We see her with damp hair sitting in a chair, she tries on her "going out" shoes, she ogles TBND while simultaneously thrusting her hip out of her pajama slit, and then in the next scene, she's in...Chinatown? I mean, maybe it was supposed to be the next day, but if so, the movie certainly didn't bother to mark the passage of time.

I have done it on occasion. I get super excited to go out and I usually over-estimate the amount of time I need, so I'll have like an hour or so to kill between drying my hair/foundation & lips and styling my hair/eye make-up/putting on my outfit.

I have this onesie that has buttons down the front (so it won't mess up my hair when I change). I'll put it on after I shower and dry my hair. Then I'll chill until about half hour before I need to leave and finish everything else.

• Like 2

But how about the big "buns" debate. As in, I can't stand the word "buns" in the context of referring to someone's butt. It just sounds like the way someone's skeezy middle-aged aunt would refer to it.

Anyone else?

Sorry for the double post!

I agree, "buns" is so retro to me. My first reference to "buns" as a child was going over to a friend's house and their mom had a "Buns of Steel" VHS tape. The woman on the box had huge hair and was shiny & bronze.

I don't think I ever put my 2 cents in in the previous debate but I don't mind buns. I think it's partially because that, in movies, we're almost certainly going to see some sexy times when male butts are present. There are innumerable examples of female nudity for the sake of it whereas I do find (with the exception to prison movies,specifically in mind Tango & Cash) that male butt says "Oh, welcome to the fucking show".

• Like 3

Anyone else?

I don't mind it, at least, not in the facetious way they've been using it. But, if I were ever out with someone and they said something like, "Ooooh! Look at the buns on that one..." then, yeah, that would totally gross me out.

I have done it on occasion. I get super excited to go out and I usually over-estimate the amount of time I need, so I'll have like an hour or so to kill between drying my hair/foundation & lips and styling my hair/eye make-up/putting on my outfit.

I have this onesie that has buttons down the front (so it won't mess up my hair when I change). I'll put it on after I shower and dry my hair. Then I'll chill until about half hour before I need to leave and finish everything else.

Okay, it looks like I might be wrong on this one...

I just really don't understand the reasoning on putting on another outfit before putting on your final outfit, but you and Tomspanks have at least given me plausible reasons for doing so--not that I think that's necessarily what's going on here. I think, for this movie, it was more, "Let's give the audience a little aperitif before the main course." This would then be followed by a puff of cigar smoke and coarse, skeezy laughter.

• Like 1

I just really don't understand the reasoning on putting on another outfit before putting on your final outfit

Your wardrobe is clearly missing the proper transitional outfit, then! I bought one of these a few months ago:

Vvipy1K.jpg

It's a soft, thin fleece, comfortable, and CUTE. It has a hood and pockets, making it basically the perfect lounging outfit. I take every opportunity to wear it at home that I can -- it has replaced my yoga pants. You can get them on ebay for ~$30, in a variety of animals, too! I want to wear it all the time, everywhere.

As far as buns, I've never heard anyone ever refer to man ass with that word, except in a funny/ironic way. I don't even think older women use the term. I have heard plenty of women talk about butts, especially while watching football. Buns is pretty cute and funny, though, especially when Zouks says it.

p.s., on a second listen of this episode, I'm glad they pointed out the absurdity of J.Lo's character saying a Yiddish word like "shmutz". I thought that was so out of place and weird!

• Like 5

Your wardrobe is clearly missing the proper transitional outfit, then! I bought one of these a few months ago:

Clearly, I need to up my transition game.

p.s., on a second listen of this episode, I'm glad they pointed out the absurdity of J.Lo's character saying a Yiddish word like "shmutz". I thought that was so out of place and weird!

That didn't bother me too much, since Vanessa says that to Usnavi in the song "It Won't Be Long Now" from In the Heights by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

(Occurs at 1:43)

I just figured it was more of a New York thing--like something Jenny from the Block picked up before moving out to California...

• Like 3

You know one thing I love about this place. Last night, I post a comment saying "There wasn't enough shagging in this movie", and I'm not greeted with "Eurgh, you're a perv".

• Like 3

2016 is nearly half way over and if my records are correct there have been no HDTGM episodes based on movies released this year ... yet.

do ye think there has been any movie from the first half of the year worthy of the HDTGM treatment?

i'm not strictly asking for the worst movies of the year or worst in terms of review. im talking about movies that would be fun to watch/rewatch ... what i am trying to say is please no BvS suggestions ...

What about Fant4stic, was that 2016?

After some poking around, it's 2015, I'll have to look at the bad ones from this year.

You know one thing I love about this place. Last night, I post a comment saying "There wasn't enough shagging in this movie", and I'm not greeted with "Eurgh, you're a perv".

We're all pervs here. (To some degree.)

• Like 1

Two things unrelated to the film but related to the podcast:

Paul says he and June watched the Manchurian Candidate with the brightness down (I just wrote that as darkness turned up, what the fuck) and concluded that it was a crappy tv, I doubt that's what it was. If I'm in a hotel I like to switch the tv on and turn the volume down low and turn the brightness down so I can fall asleep with the tv on but without the light in the room (it's like listening to white noise), I've known a few people who do this, at least I have the common courtesy to turn the brightness up again in the morning.

Secondly, I'm reading People Who Eat Darkness now, the paper version though not the audio book, and I'd definitely recommend it because it's not just about this little subculture it goes into the culture that created that subculture that grew because of the conditions of post-war Japan and the bubble economy of the 90s. My brother lives in suburban Tokyo with his family so I'll have to ask him about this stuff. It's a slightly surreal story, just goes to show that truth is stranger than fiction as it would just make an unbelievable fiction story.

Check out the recommendation on the Rotten Tomatoes page:

https://www.rottento...next_door_2015/

What a collection of terrible movies. It makes me wonder about the person that liked all of those movies. How terrible their life must be.

Here is a picture of the recommendations:

th_919019409_BoyNextDoor_122_13lo.jpg

• Like 1

That's taken as read, Smigglesworth.

That's taken as read, Smigglesworth.

Oh I fully embrace my inherent perviness. But it's more the fun, cheeky kind, more flirty kind. As opposed to the leery, weird kind.

• Like 1

Check out the recommendation on the Rotten Tomatoes page:

https://www.rottento...next_door_2015/

What a collection of terrible movies. It makes me wonder about the person that liked all of those movies. How terrible their life must be.

Here is a picture of the recommendations:

th_919019409_BoyNextDoor_122_13lo.jpg

I didn't mind The House Bunny, which is on that list. Hercules, on the other hand, yeeeesh. What a stinker.

Oh I fully embrace my inherent perviness. But it's more the fun, cheeky kind, more flirty kind. As opposed to the leery, weird kind.

More Carry On than Collymore, you mean?

We've now lost the Transatlantic crowd.