🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 138 - The Boy Next Door (w/ Heather Anne Campbell, Ben Siemon)

More Carry On than Collymore, you mean?

We've now lost the Transatlantic crowd.

Exactly, more about flirting and having fun, than being letcherous.

What about Fant4stic, was that 2016?

After some poking around, it's 2015, I'll have to look at the bad ones from this year.

Yeah, but that was such a joyless piece of shit that I couldn't imagine trying to make fun of it. It's just.....ugh.

• Like 4

Two things unrelated to the film but related to the podcast:

Paul says he and June watched the Manchurian Candidate with the brightness down (I just wrote that as darkness turned up, what the fuck)

I've heard of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, but Paul and June Turn UP the Dark?

I haven't heard of that!

• Like 5

I've heard of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, but Paul and June Turn UP the Dark?

I haven't heard of that!

I guess the lady who gave the five star review saying that the volume was too low had the silence on her tv turned all the way up, common mistake

• Like 6

Here's a little data-driven CORRECTION on this episode:

P.S. no, garage doors don't have clutches.

They have a clutch that slips when the door encounters too much friction, causing it to stop or reverse.

HELEN MIRREN is going to be in Fast 8!!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 6

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I guess it's official. She's gotta play the Shaw mom, right?

• Like 1

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the lame "cat scare" trope in this movie, also known as

. See if you can spot it!

I agree with the Amazon review that said the volume was too low on this movie. Poor normalization as well. I use a small speaker system and I actually had to get up and check to make sure it was on, then when I realized it was and the volume was up all the way, I had to put the volume output on the TV all the way up to like 80. Most programs are fine around 12. Then the no brakes scene happened and it sounded like I was sitting in the front row of a NASCAR event. I would like to shake the hand of the genius that came up with the half mute button...five stars.

So I just watched the French LOL and I have to say... shit actually made sense...

• Like 3

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Forgot one.

pTfFYhg.gif

To be fair, I couldn't find it, so I had to make it... You're welcome.

So, brake lines. This always bothers me in movies. If brake lines were cut enough to actually cause brakes to fail, there would be a huge puddle of brake fluid that would be 100% obvious. Also, when starting the car, wouldn't the lack of brake pressure be immediately noticeable? Like, when you change out brake pads, you have to compress the brake piston, which pushes the fluid up the brake line and back into the master cylinder. When you first get in your car after that, the brake feels like it has no tension. You pump the pedal a couple times, and the fluid runs back down the line, and you can feel the tension return to the brakes. I would assume getting in a car with no brake fluid would be almost the same thing.

Also, modern cars have a hydraulic emergency brake that's completely separate from the main brakes, so even if your brakes fail, you can use the emergency brake. Additionally, most people know (at least, I hope they do) that if your brakes fail, you should downshift to a lower gear and basically let your car slow itself down.

Basically, I'm not saying that it's infeasible for failing brakes to kill someone; it just seems like a really shitty plan to murder someone because you're relying on them missing all of the cues that their brakes aren't working and then not knowing how to react in the situation.

However, all of this reminds me of another movie that would be a really great HDTGM film: 2001's The Glass House. Cutting brake lines factors heavily into the plot of that ridiculous mess, too (and it has Stellar Skateboard in it!).

I don't know about you guys, but my car won't go out of park when the brake isn't engaged. So if you are stepping on the brake pad but it isn't actually doing anything, would you even be able to actually take the car out of park?

So someone posted this article all ready but I can't find it - http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-the-true-story-first-edition-iliad-from-the-boy-next-door-20150219-story.html

Apparently, the book they used for the prop is a copy that was translated by Alexander Pope. So, why not just make that the line?

"Is this a translation by Alexander Pope?" makes so much more sense than the first edition line because 1 - Pope is pretty fucking famous so it would make sense that she would be aware of who he is, 2 - it makes more sense that he would be able to get it from a garage sale if the person who was selling it was unaware of who Pope was and therefore what it is worth and 3 - she and the screenwriters don't sound like total morons.

• Like 1

That whole scene was stupid, because it exists solely to give us Chekov's EpiPen -- which makes no fuckin' sense because getting stabbed in the eye with a needle while in a barn on fire is convoluted and unnecessary! There's tools and shit in there! J.Lo could have grabbed a pitchfork or something, but they had to use this subplot about her kid's allergies to get to this eye stabbing scene! Just give her a knife, it was already established as her weapon of choice.

I'm also pretty sure the eye doesn't give you enough resistance/push back for the needle to actually come out. I've messed around with the trainer epi pens fairly frequently and you have to slam it down hard on your thigh to get it to work right.

Exactly, more about flirting and having fun, than being letcherous.

This reminds me of the Mitchell and Webb bit about the Bawdy 70's Hospital

• Like 3

This reminds me of the Mitchell and Webb bit about the Bawdy 70's Hospital

My favourite Mitchell and Webb sketch is the gay party planners talking about some unwelcome guests.

• Like 1

Im not going to waste anymore bandwith downloading consistently excellent Mitchell and Webb sketches as the page is taking a fucking donkeys age to come up as it is, but if you want some more good ones from them I can really recommend you google the pathetically mismatched crime fighting superhero duo, Angel Summoner and The BMX Bandit, and the SS men who are having second thoughts about the Nazis.

Oh, and the Medical drama that eschews all the medical terms to concentrate on the drama.

All Mitchell and Webb episodes seem now to be back on youtube.

And also theres an overlooked gem of a BBC sketch show from the late 90s called Big Train. It launched Simon Pegg's career. They have some platinum standard sketches like,

Alfred Hitchcock's The Working Class.

The Goodbye Mr Chips sketch.

Wanking rights in the office.

Sam Peckinpah's blood soaked western, Chaka Khan vs the Bee Gees. (In which the Bee Gees prophetically die in the right order as they have in real life)

Mike Henderson.

And the radio DJ who keeps kids locked in a cellar to write 'banter' for him. Given the fact that this was shown at a time when some BBC DJs were actually probably keeping actual kids in cellars then maybe they were trying to tell us something.

The Staring competition animations.

The evil stop smoking hypnotherapy.

At home with Ming the Merciless.

Worth looking up if you are into the British sense of humour.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is my idol.

I also love the bits where it's supposed to show them between sketches. Like the one where they try to talk to David about his breakup.

Or this one:

• Like 1

"Get me Henimore" is another one of my favorite bits. Also, The Inebriati is the one that introduced me to them and holds a special place in my heart.

First Time Caller--

Sorry this is a couple of days late, but Happy Birthday! I hope it was a good one.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

First Time Caller--

Sorry this is a couple of days late, but Happy Birthday! I hope it was a good one.

eh ... thanks very much ... it was alright ... ireland threw away a win against sweden but other than that ... CAKE!!!!

• Like 1

he got his mothers forehead

2hnnuds.jpg

I bet she plays the role of Dominic Toretto long lost mother!!!

Why wasn't jason mantzoukas not up for the role of the charactor with a beard.

149rvwx.jpg

I am more unhappy about that.