🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
laurajordan

A rare miss for Earwolf

With respect, this is a rare miss for Earwolf. I see a lot of potential, but it's just not there yet.

First, I love the concept of an old 40's style radio variety show with a cast of three distinct personalities hosting. Unlike other Earwolf hosts, the hosts of The Apple Sisters compete for attention instead of building on each other's ideas. They're one-upping each other all the time, that's hard to listen to, I don't know where to focus. Additionally, please reconsider or lighten up the character voices, all three of you sound alike. It's hard to distinguish who is who.

I wish you well, but this podcast is difficult to get through as a listener. With respect, please consider my suggestions. Take care

No worries Earwolf, we don't all feel this way. I'm quite enjoying the Apple Sisters.

A rare misstep for Laura

With respect, this is a rare miss for Laura. I saw a lot of potential for Laura, but she's just not there yet.
First, I love the concept of a mentally challenged woman posting comments on a message board. Unlike other commenters Laura has a hard time commenting without sounding like someone who discovered the internet two weeks ago. Additionally, she should consider that most people are more intelligent than her and have little to no problem following a conversation in which multiple people speak.
She wishes you well, but Laura would appreciate it if you would stop the current production of your show and restart it in a way that caters to her specifically. You could do this by talking much slower, plus maybe one of you could talk in a British accent, another could talk only in rhyming couplets, and the third could be replaced by Michael Clark Duncan. Take care.

The Apple Sisters have been the great surprise of the new Earwolf! Sure it started slow, but having a commercial with a singing tape worm was pure comedy gold! Sorry you don't like it Laura, but I can tell which sister is which just fine. Keep up the great work ladies!

I'm really loving The Apple Sisters as well. I think the length of the show is perfect and the content always makes me laugh. Thanks Earwolf!

Be nice to Laura, she is offering constructive criticism in a very appropriate way. I wish everyone was this considerate with their criticism!

Having said that, I'm glad that many people do like the show. I'm sure the girls will take all comments to heart.

I feel compelled to throw my own 2 cents in on this. Not on the subject of if I like the Apple Sisters show or not, but the subject of criticism on the forums. Too often we see people spewing hate for episodes or shows they don't like. But here, the OP offered her opinion in what I feel was a respectful way. She didn't just bash the show with things like "this is the worst" or other such hyperbole. She just offered her opinion, siting specific reasons she felt the show didn't work for her. Yet some of the responses posted here I feel are as bad as the people who complain, but since they are positive towards the show, their comments seem to be accepted.

I know these shows are all free, and no one is making money on them, so the subject of "why criticize something that's free" has come up. I agree with that sentiment for the most part, but I think there is room for people to offer their opinion of why they dislike something without getting slammed by people who feel offended that something they like is being criticized. Some of these hosts may actually appreciate comments that might help them gain more listeners. So when people jump on anyone who posts any negative comment, that may keep actual helpful criticism from surfacing in the future. Plus, it reflects badly on the person that feels they're defending the show. Making a comment in that way can invalidate your opinion. How you write is just as important as what you write. Just try to be respectful of others and post intelligently.

I agree with Brendan completely. Well said. I would hate for this to become a 100% rose colored glasses Earwolf love fest. I just don't like the lazy negativity you sometimes see. Laura's comment was anything but. Thanks Brendan!

I also have to agree with Jeff and Brendon. Earwolf is the best I have found, the content and the people running it. The best thing is if you do not like a show they have 10 others waiting for download. I am not a fan of Sklarbro Country I do not listen to them or Glitter in the Garbage, (no offense Randy and Jason or Drew Droege) Grrreat thing is I have 9 others to choose from. Basically people no reason to be dueshe bags.

I agree completely with Laura. I gave it three tries, but the constant over-talking and one-note characterization was too hard to overcome.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. We totally appreciate you listening always and creating your own online NATO (which sounds like a pretty catchy name for an organization, don't you think) #1943

I have to disagree with Laura as well. Although like others I also think that her criticism was laid out respectfully and with her reasons listed. Definitely refreshing. But I definitely disagree. The Apple Sisters has become one of my favorite Earwolf shows. I think the girls do a fantastic job. There is a little talking over each other but it doesn't bother me at all. A scripted show can sound scripted if not done properly and I think imperfections like that help to give it a more natural flow and feel. I love the characters and have no problem distinguishing one from another. And I definitely don't feel they one up each other. Again I think it makes it feel natural and real. For the record I hope to marry Candy Apple someday or at least spend some quality time together. If only I could master time travel...

Often when I listen to a new podcast I will only check out one episode and whether it's fair or not, will form my opinion after only a few minutes and then move on to something else. I would love to give them all a fair shake but there are too many. With that said, I am curious as to how many episodes Laura listened to. I could see if someone just casually listened to one episode or part of one episode of the Apple Sisters that they may not get it. If that is the case Laura please give it another shot.

I think you have done a great job girls.

Opinions are like assholes, sometimes they are shitty....with that said, Laura and others are welcome to have her own opinions but it is their choice whether or not to voice them. Not every podcast is going to vibrate with everyone. I loved the Apple Sisters since the first Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, but that's what I like, the show hits me in a soft spot that I can't expect other people to understand. Just because you love Earwolf, does not mean you have to love all the shows. And just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you HAVE to express it. There are many podcasts that I don't like, but I don't feel the need to give a negative opinion on them, I just unsubscribe. Just my humble opinion.

I like it. I've really been enjoying the Thrilling Adventure Hour by Acker and Blacker, and this seems to be very much in the same old timey vein. It also seems to be the one Earwolf podcast that has the most people improv-ing characters at the same time, so it takes a lot of talent and confidence to keep the bits going for a half hour.

I feel compelled to address this fallacy that the OP's original post was respectful. Is our collective opinion of Internet posters so low that we automatically praise any contrarian who does not succumb to cheap name calling and immature hyperbole? The OP arrogantly assumes the mantle of the Ultimate Arbiter of all podcasts by attempting to pass off her judgment as fact (definitively calling the show a "rare miss" and declaring with such condescension that it "just isn't there yet") and proceeding to lay out her personal conditions by which, should they be fulfilled, the show will evolve into something worthwhile (in whose invaluable estimation? hers of course!). Attempting to ransom a podcast with your approval is not respectful, constructive criticism; it's self-important stupidity disguised in superficially polite language. "You'd better do what I say, podcast, or I won't be your friend!"

Although I would also like to say I do not support the retaliation in which Laura is called "mentally challenged" and if I were the Apple Sisters (which I'm not, believe me, my singing is atrocious) I wouldn't want that breed of fan. Sort of like the guy in the audience who thinks he's helping the comedian when he calls a female heckler a cunt.

Sign in to follow this