🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: They Live (1988)

Available for digital rental; also available On Demand if you have Cinemax.

This one has been on my to-watch list FOREVER. I will be chewing bubblegum all week.

Available on my fucking shelf. YES. Can't wait to hear Amy's thoughts on the fight scene.

• Like 1

The always wonderful Jonathan Lethem (author of Motherless Brooklyn) wrote a fascinating and very readable minute by minute analysis of They Live for Soft Skull's Deep Focus series. If you're a Lethem fan or a Carpenter buff, you can't miss it -- great read.

51jK35a-HCL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My own favorite detail about They Live is the name of the main character: Nada.

Was gonna hold off on this one (just blind-bought the dvd) until I watch more early carpenter, but it looks like I'm either poppin it in with no prep, or having a total carpenterathon this week

Was gonna hold off on this one (just blind-bought the dvd) until I watch more early carpenter, but it looks like I'm either poppin it in with no prep, or having a total carpenterathon this week

Everyone needs a good Carpenterthon from time to time.

• Like 1

Goddamnit I've gotta watch more Carpenter.

The Thing and Escape from New York isn't just gonna cut it anymore.

Goddamnit I've gotta watch more Carpenter.

The Thing and Escape from New York isn't just gonna cut it anymore.

Have you really not seen Halloween or Big Trouble In Little China? Essential viewing!

canon for its cinematic fnords alone, case closed, but i look forward to the episode regardless!

Holy smokes this episode has arrived at a perfect time for me.

Over the past few weeks I've been on a Carpenter rewatch binge.

Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, and Escape From New York with They Live queued up for sometime this week.

Really really looking forward to this episode.

Also, I want to mention that it's worth tracking down the physical disc of They Live for the wonderful commentary track with both John Carpenter and Roddy Piper together. They have a really great chemistry and rapport, and sound more like old friends reminiscing. Carpenter's commentary tracks are all pretty good, actually.

• Like 2

This will be an interesting one. Carpenter is so random in terms of people's love or not and for me this is one of his weakest efforts, but holy shit some people love it. Certainly culturally it has a big impact so this could be a real sway vote.

• Like 1

This will be an interesting one. Carpenter is so random in terms of people's love or not and for me this is one of his weakest efforts, but holy shit some people love it. Certainly culturally it has a big impact so this could be a real sway vote.

This is probably my second favorite of his films after Halloween, so I was really worried that there wouldn't be a lot of love for it. This board has made me feel a bit better.

They Live is an all-time favorite for me, and it sounds like that way for many in the thread. I'll listen to the episode with an open mind, but I may already be a hard yes.

Sign in to follow this