Sign in to follow this  
nosebear

Planning material for a podcast

what's the best way to fill your airtime. wing it? sit down before your shows and jot down the topics you're going to cover? is it a personal style preference? a bit of both? does it depend on your podcast format?

if you wanna just paste a link to the earwolf episode where they cover all this, go for it.

Depends on what you're going for. The Sklars write their podcast, Scott plans a game or two and the character(s), and Who Charted has a semi-strict format with room for tangents. It also depends on the hosts themselves. Some people work best with structure and others are better off the cuff.

While I vehemently agree that Dans should always back each other up, I'm a little concerned that there is another person with the user name "Dan". How is this possible?

I guess the best thing to do if you're not sure is to try a couple of practice episodes and see how you feel working with no script. If you have the right guests then it seems you can have a lot of fun bouncing ideas off each other and expanding on a theme, like some of the best Comedy Bang bang episodes.
A lot of podcasts like to use news items to get a conversation going so a list of the latest science and entertainment news is a good start. I'm just thinking out loud here as I'd like to start my own podcast sometime.
Good luck with it! :)

@Trev You sir, are an honorary Dan.

We plan out which segments we're doing and in what order, and roughly what we will talk about in those segments. After that, we just wing it and see how it goes!