Mr.Pete

Books

I'm currently reading "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments by David Foster Wallace. It's some of the most entertaining and refreshing non-fiction I've read in a long time aside from Consider the Lobster which is another great collection of Wallace's essays. Also read Infinite Jest not too long ago, again by Wallace, which I loved despite taking nearly six months to finish it. I would also recommend Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian", which is a very dark, western novel about a boy traveling with a detachment of scalp hunters through the U.S./Mexico border in the mid 1800s. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Reading Earth: The Book right now. Good stuff and equal to America: the Book. I love that there's a specific theme to the book of it being a message to aliens after humanity is dead.

Just finished Ghost In The Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker. Pretty interesting, the autobiography of Kevin Mitnick a hacker and con man who eluded the FBI for years and ended up wiretapped the agents who were chasing him. Also finally read The Outsider by Camus and I wish I'd read it ten years ago. Great book.

In terms of comedy books, if its available as an audiobook read by the author then I'll always choose that option. They are literally just like podcasts. Earth: The Book by Jon Stewart and the Daily Show cast is fantastic.

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. Some good stuff, but not King's best. Still, pretty good stories overall.

I have read so many comedy books and most are really not that great, but I can wholeheartedly recommend a few:

Julie Klausner's "I Don't Care About Your Band" - She is such a good writer and her stories are so interesting and unusual, this book is ridiculously good - and it's pretty dirty too, which is fun.

Michael Ian Black's "My Custom Van" - Every essay had me crying tears of laughter, but I think his "letters to a squirrel" chapter is my favorite.

Dave Hill's "Tasteful Nudes" - My favorite chapter tells his story of going to a soft rock concert with a priest after his mom guilts him into it.

Chris Gethard's "A Bad Idea I'm About To Do" - He volunteered to participate in the Scared Straight program and got an amazing chapter out of it.

Harris Wittel's "Humblebrag" - Harris' comments about how annoyed he is with these peoples' personalities made me like him even more than I already did.

Jack Handey's "What I'd Say To The Martians - And Other Veiled Threats" - So funny in the weirdest way, it seems like the kind of book Scott Aukerman would write.

Catch-22 is one of the funniest books I've ever read. I usually end up reading it annually.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods is quite phenomenal.

OH! Fucking, Frank Zappa's book "The Real Frank Zappa Book" is also such a great read for those who have interest in him. It's not like more "biographical" books, it's hard to explain. I guess someone else had put out an unofficial "boring" biographical book out before it, and this was Zappa's response. It's very stream of consciousness and really gives insight into Zappa way more than a typical biographical history of his life.

A couple favs from when I was too young to be reading them:

The God Particle

The Tao of Pooh

Currently, loving Going Clear.

I know it's a fairly obvious choice but Hunter Thompson is still one of my favorite writers. Whether or not you've read him I'm sure most everyone has heard of him, and whatever your impression of him is he has definitely got one of the most unique voices out there. As a first read I'd recommend The Great Shar Hunt which is a collection of pieces he wrote for various magazines and papers up until the 80's I believe. If you dig that you really can't go wrong with any of his novels or other collections, although if you're interested in politics Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail: 72 is a must read.

Also a really good and quick read is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

• Like 1

Reading The Onion Book of Known Knowledge. Very funny stuff, but my favourite is still the Onion Atlas, Our Dumb World.

David Foster Wallace

DFW is God-tier writer, essayist, authorist. If you have a love for the man's work, then I beg of you: do not read that biography of him that came out a few months back. It will crush your soul.

Not an all time favourite but the best thing I've read recently is The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. I'm sure many of you have read it as it won a zillion awards but if not and if you have any interest in science fiction do so(really I don't think you need any appreciation of the genre to enjoy it, it's one of those rare books that is good enough that people who normally never read it's genre will enjoy it).

I am a huge Jeffery Archer fan and would recommend any book written by him. Also, Roald Dahl’s short stories are a great read. Most of you might know him only as the author of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, but in truth he has written some great adult fiction.

Reading America, Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert. Very, very funny and is great satire, though I think much of it is more goofy fun than it is pointed. Overall, it makes a consistent statement on the attitude of "America is infallible, except for the stuff I don't like, which isn't American."

Presently, I have started reading Dan Brown's Inferno and trust me, his English might be weak, but his imagination sure isn't, the guy can really cook up some huge conspiracies in that head of his.

• Like 2

Currently reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

baller

as

hell

Reading John Dies At the End. I think it's good, but not quite as good as the hype. Still, I'm enjoying it quite a bit and will recommend it to others.

Reading John Dies At the End. I think it's good, but not quite as good as the hype. Still, I'm enjoying it quite a bit and will recommend it to others.

Did you see the movie? I didn't even realize this was a book...

I was pleasantly surprised with the movie, but I went in with pretty low expectations.

I recently read Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a Drug Addict, Criminal, Mental Patient, and Then Turned 16. Was pretty good. Funny, interesting and sometimes infuriating.

Based on how your bolding that, it sounds like "Was pretty good." is part of the title. That's called the Barry Zuckerkorn strategy.

zuckerkorn.jpg

Presently, I have started reading Dan Brown's Inferno and trust me, his English might be weak, but his imagination sure isn't, the guy can really cook up some huge conspiracies in that head of his.

I've just started getting into Dan Brown's books too, so glad you have confirmed how I feel about them so far...english isn't the best but looking forward to how the story develops

The funniest book I've read is Haunted by Chuck Palanuick. All of the "horror" stories are gruesome slapstick.

Finished Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale. Not a too original story, but very well told and Lansdale uses his southern fried horror style to great effect in this very dark adventure novel. Based on what I read before (this and the Drive-In novel series), I feel that Lansdale is a good writer with a strong sense of identity, but I feel like I haven't read his best yet.