🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DanielAnoroc

Network

Maybe too obvious.

I actually rewatched that last month. Still incredible, although William Holden speechifies way too much about Faye Dunaway being a TV kid as the movie goes on. That's a little dated, but pretty much everything else is still A+ spectacular.

Network has come up a few times; it was discussed a fair bit in the "Election" episode.

It definitely deserves its own episode at some point-- I'm not sure why "too obvious" would a disqualifier when The Searchers, It's a Wonderful Life, and Rebel Without a Cause (among others) have all gotten episodes to themselves. Sometimes the "slam dunk" discussions are among the best.

Having said that, I'm always fond of versus episodes.

The question then becomes, what could possibly be paired against "Network" that might have a fighting chance? My suggestion would be another socially-conscious, eternally relevant, television-themed pitch-black comedy-drama directed by Lumet that was released just the year prior: "Dog Day Afternoon."

Network has come up a few times; it was discussed a fair bit in the "Election" episode.

It definitely deserves its own episode at some point-- I'm not sure why "too obvious" would a disqualifier when The Searchers, It's a Wonderful Life, and Rebel Without a Cause (among others) have all gotten episodes to themselves. Sometimes the "slam dunk" discussions are among the best.

Having said that, I'm always fond of versus episodes.

The question then becomes, what could possibly be paired against "Network" that might have a fighting chance? My suggestion would be another socially-conscious, eternally relevant, television-themed pitch-black comedy-drama directed by Lumet that was released just the year prior: "Dog Day Afternoon."

Or, you really go Oscars apeshit on this and pair it up against All The President's Men and Taxi Driver.

Just do Network. I'm not sure it needs a versus.

I actually think so as well. I was half-joking in my previous post. You can talk about Network alone for hours. There's way enough substance to it, I strongly believe.

Sign in to follow this