🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

You guys should definitely take a proverbial dump on this "film".
I think Mel Gibson did this to publicly punish himself in retribution to the Jewish peoples.
Jodie Foster said it was the worst thing she'd ever done and she doesn't like to talk about it. (and she did Nell).
Seriously full of WTF, should be the tagline.

Bad movies are like junk food- sometimes they're delicious but bad for you, and sometimes they just make you sick. When you get bad movie poisoning it helps to talk to a friend or, if possible, listen to HDTGM and get the movie out of your system.

One of the most poisonous movies for me was 2011's The Beaver. I watched it hoping for a bad flick to laugh at and write about, and you can hardly blame me. The story is; "Walter (Mel Gibson), once a successful and happy family man, has hit rock bottom. But, in his darkest hour, he finds a rather unusual savior: a beaver hand-puppet that takes over Walter's life in an attempt to change things for the better."

To repeat; Mel Gibson (real life crazy man and former success) is a "once successful and happy family man" who goes crazy and THEN is SAVED by "a beaver hand-puppet that takes over his life".

This movie is a full blown nightmare- it felt like it could have turned into a horror film at any moment. In fact, in the end it kind of does.

But is the joke on me? Is this even a bad movie? Roger Ebert gave the movie 2 1/2 stars, noting that "without "The Beaver," we would never have witnessed a sexual threesome involving a hand puppet." Mind you, this is a threesome involving Jodie Foster, an inexplicably Cockney beaver puppet, and a raging alcoholic anti-Semite.

I realize this may not convince anyone to watch the movie so I'll point out that Jennifer Lawrence is in it. Also, there's plenty opportunity for beaver puns. For example; Fuck The Beaver.

Jodie Foster said it was the worst thing she'd ever done and she doesn't like to talk about it. (and she did Nell).

She directed it, so you'd think she would have known what she was getting into.

Also, there's plenty opportunity for beaver puns. For example; Fuck The Beaver.

Jodie Foster's "Beaver."

This movie just made me sad. I remember being ON BOARD for the total fucking nutcase plot and scenario behind it. I mean, Mel Gibson playing a crazy person who adapts to mental illness via a hand puppet, all directed by Mrs. Serious Business Jodie Foster? "How Does This Get Made?" indeed. I have no idea!

The result was not funny, not outlandishly crazy, nor was it heart-warming or enlightening. It seemed like the film took the most boring avenues possible and managed to make this totally insane premise result in "meh." It's like if you made a meal with anchovies, durian, and seasoned it with saffron and somehow produced a thin tasteless gruel.

I watched this movie hoping to see Mel Gibson have a melt down and it didn't deliver. he should of made this movie about a guy who has a racial melt down and learns to accept people for who they are. then I would like him again for the good old crazy Australian he is.

I love it when a movie comes out that just seems destined to be Oscar bait or is talked as being such, and then totally fails on all levels. Either it doesn't get nominated for much of anything despite being the talk of the town and pretty well received (Inside Llewyn Davis) or it gets just trashed by critics once it comes out (too many to name but most recently The Monuments Men). The former is a category that sucks to see happen but the latter is just great because they are movies so clearly aiming to win awards, and the overall effect of trying too hard causes it to crumble. The Beaver falls into this category because of everything going on behind it, the reunion of Gibson and Foster right after Gibson's public meltdown, the fact that he talks using a beaver puppet, and that it was so overly sentimental made this doomed from the start.

Oh and does anyone thing that this is a prequel to Payback where in the years between that movie and the Beaver Anton Yelchin (named Porter in this movie) turns to a life of crime?

• Like 1

She directed it, so you'd think she would have known what she was getting into.

It seems that Jodie Foster gave Mel Gibson the benefit of the doubt - that he is not inherently awful and that he deserves a career. So I will extend the same courtesy to her. I choose to believe that Jodie Foster is functionally illiterate and in fact had no idea what she was getting into.

It seems that Jodie Foster gave Mel Gibson the benefit of the doubt - that he is not inherently awful and that he deserves a career. So I will extend the same courtesy to her. I choose to believe that Jodie Foster is functionally illiterate and in fact had no idea what she was getting into.

She also defends Roman Polanski, so at this point I think the unfortunate truth is that Jodie Foster is kind of an asshole.

She also defends Roman Polanski, so at this point I think the unfortunate truth is that Jodie Foster is kind of an asshole.

She's worked with both of them, so the ulterior motive likely is one of not burning any bridges, even ones that have burnt at the other end.

Sign in to follow this