🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ZZZ

Jennifer's body

I know that's kind of crazy but, I like Jennifer's Body and I love listening to people discuss this movie. I think Karyn Kusama is a really solid director who can accomplish an amazing amount of work on a low budget and I think this is the only time Megan Fox has ever been used correctly in a movie. This movie got lambasted for being exploitative but I refuse to believe the exploitation is accidental and would argue that it is kind of the point of the movie. Jennifer's Body represents two girls who once had a lot in common growing up in similar homes who were pushed into radically different identities because one grew up to be considered hot. I'm incredibly fascinated by the idea of internalizing the identity that is projected onto you and to me that idea is perfectly realized in the character of Jennifer. I'm not declaring the movie is canon-worthy but I think it's a movie that merits our discussion especially since it was dismissed so out of hand at the time.

• Like 1

Interesting. I agree it's underrated and suffered from the weird Diablo Cody backlash at the time (still on-going?). Karyn Kusama is a great director; I loved The Guest & Girlfight is arguably Canon-worthy imo. I'm betting her best work is still ahead of her.

I love Kusama I think she has a beautiful technical style and doesn't get the credit she deserves because it's not flashy.

Jennifer's Body is good but not great, and while you could easily spend an hour talking about it, there's other, better horror/thriller films with feminist themes like Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, In The Company Of Wolves, or even Ginger Snaps.

It's certainly much less interesting than Antichrist and would cover similar podcast terrain.

I agree that those films are great but I think Jennifer's Body is way better than people give it credit for. I like thinking about why people hate this particular movie so much.

Also all of those movies are directed by men which doesn't devalue them but, I feel like there is a tendency to praise feminist male productions while movies about women made by women get overlooked.

• Like 2

Also all of those movies are directed by men which doesn't devalue them but, I feel like there is a tendency to praise feminist male productions while movies about women made by women get overlooked.

Good point, and I agree.

I think Rosemary's Baby is an interesting case because it concerns themes of maternity, "female hysteria", and male control of women while at the same time, Polanksi was treating Mia Farrow like, well, this:

30b35868e1d72e2b3854db9c5ce26b94.jpg

• Like 1

I friggin' love Rosemary's Baby. I showed the final scene of this movie for a presentation and was really surprised by the number of people who hadn't seen it.

Sign in to follow this