🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
HoldenMartinson

Your Indulgence Picks

Robocop

Total Recall

Verhoeven probably deserves a film in the Canon, right? I would have to think Robocop would make it, but Total Recall is in some ways more enjoyable.

Repo Man, Robocop and Brazil are all Canon worthy. Better Off Dead and Three O'clock High would be a fun versus.

Showgirls.

...ok no, but seriously it should be Robocop.

Showgirls has got a subtle bump in reputation in recent years. Itd make for a great episode

I'd pick Django. I'm not sure it's good enough to make it into the Canon, but it's a beautiful movie made entirely out of ugliness. And Franco Nero's eyes. It's the western I most often revisit.

It's probablyThe Mercenary that would be the real Canon candidate for Sergio Corbucci.

I guess after listening to this week's episode, I couldn't help but think of my own love for the Return of the Living Dead. Probably not canon, but having never seen Re-Animator before I was also kind of confused as to why it was being considered.

I'd take Return of the Living Dead over Re-Animator any day. Love it. Can't wait for the upcoming BR re-release.

Showgirls has got a subtle bump in reputation in recent years. Itd make for a great episode

Showgirls versus Heaven's Gate. Give it a few years, but that could make for an interesting episode.

having recently rewatched harmony korine's TRASH HUMPERS i think there is an (indulgent) argument for its canonicity that goes something like [retro format], [guerrilla production], [gothic americana], [people humping trash]

I'd take Return of the Living Dead over Re-Animator any day. Love it. Can't wait for the upcoming BR re-release.

Is there something different about the rerelease? My library has had it on Blu ray for awhile.

Some great answers here. Probably the episode that would get me most excited would be When Harry Met Sally. I adore every aspect of it. Blows me away, truly. It's a classic so maybe not an "indulgence pick". But if we want more comedies in here WHMS is a goodie.

Also would love more attention thrown to great foreign cinema. Someone mentioned Persona - absolutely! Also maybe a Kurosawa entry or Raise the Red alantern or In The Mood For Love, or something. Granted, those episodes may not create as many listens/downloads.

• Like 1

Also would love more attention thrown to great foreign cinema. Someone mentioned Persona - absolutely! Also maybe a Kurosawa entry or Raise the Red alantern or In The Mood For Love, or something. Granted, those episodes may not create as many listens/downloads.

In the Mood for Love is a must. Christopher Doyle's cinematography alone is canon-worthy. The fact that there's an amazing film within those frames helps quite a bit, though.

The Princess Bride

The Raid: Redemption

Snatch

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Office Space

Shaun of the Dead

Predator

Amadeus

Repo Man

Absolutely. As indulgences go, it's Repo Man all the way.

A couple more:

Ghost in the Shell

American Psycho

I'd pick Django. I'm not sure it's good enough to make it into the Canon, but it's a beautiful movie made entirely out of ugliness. And Franco Nero's eyes. It's the western I most often revisit.

This is a great indulgence answer because it's a near-forgotten western, probably most popular now for inspiring Tarantino, but it is quite a good movie, and it's full of details that make it at least up for discussion. And, man, that theme song is electrifying.

• Like 1

This is a great indulgence answer because it's a near-forgotten western, probably most popular now for inspiring Tarantino, but it is quite a good movie, and it's full of details that make it at least up for discussion. And, man, that theme song is electrifying.

I'm glad you feel that way! That theme is really GOAT-level. Canon-worthy might be a stretch, but that's one where if there was an episode on it I would write about it for hours in its defense. I'd die on that hill, and maybe even in that film's horrible quicksand river.

If anyone enjoys a fantastic, stylish spaghetti western, make sure you see Django.

Terminator 1 vs 2 would be a cool versus.

A Clockwork Orange

Donnie Darko

The Great Escape

Full Metal Jacket

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

All should be considered canon worthy.

My Indulgence Picks? Oooph... well...

• The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • Sunset Blvd
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Brazil
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Seven Samurai
  • Ran
  • Quadrophenia
  • Tommy
  • Jon Waters'/Pink Floyd's The Wall
  • Fantasia
  • Frozen
  • Melancholia
  • Phantom of the Paradise
  • The Crow
  • Harold & Maude
  • The Blues Brothers
  • Le Samourai
  • Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
  • Dead Man
  • Hardboiled
  • The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • The Big Lebowski
  • The Great Escape
  • The African Queen
  • Treasure of Sierra Madre

Gah, too many... but these are the ones that pop into my mind as indulgence picks.

My Indulgence Picks? Oooph... well...

• Quadrophenia
  • Tommy
  • Jon Waters'/Pink Floyd's The Wall
  • Frozen
  • Melancholia
  • Phantom of the Paradise
  • The Crow
  • Harold & Maude
  • Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Fairly confident this is the half of your list that could be called indulgence picks; Treasure of the Sierra Madre is AFI Top 100 royalty, and Seven Samurai makes most global top ten lists! Truthfully, I think the only one of these that isn't almost a gimme eventual episode is Quadrophenia, just because Tommy and The Wall have become more popular classic rock, "rock opera" movies. I also kind wish it were John Waters' The Wall and not Roger Waters; Divine as Mother could be spectacular!