🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 138.5 - Minisode 138.5

We continue to explore love through the magic of food for our next HDTGM movie selection! Paul reveals his Top 3 TV Theme Songs of All Time as he opens up the Explanation Hope Line. Send your own voicemail explanation hopes for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK. Later, we hear an excerpt of Blake Harris' interview with director Renny Harlin (Cliffhanger, Die Hard 2). For the rest of the interview go over to www.slashfilm.com. Plus, Corrections and Omissions for The Boy Next Door!

WATCH Filthy Preppy Teen$ on the FullScreen App today! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisget....bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

never heard of it so i looked it up. the poster was on the imdb page and they showed the posters for a few other SMG projects. anyways ... do you think when they were coming up with the promo poster for the awful ringer tv show they said "you know what pose would be good sarah ... remember that one you used on for the 1999 movie simply irresistable .. that one"

12 years and she didnt age a day .. it must be magic ..

256cswk.jpg

My love for Buffy notwithstanding, I did not see this movie when it came out, nor ever watched it on video. And reading the plot on Wikipedia makes it just sound outright insane.

In regard to theme songs, I think the definitive version of "Charles in Charge" has to be by Christian rock band Relient K. I love the fact that Jesus makes a cameo in the song

Also, if you're going to include Sport Theme Songs, you have to include John Tesh's "Roundball Rock."

• Like 4

I think the first two callers accidentally (or should have) called (619) PAUL-ASS.

• Like 4

I think, at this point, the Mini-Episodes should include Cameron H.'s picture right after Paul Schemer's. I would endorse this.

As for TV themes, I'm a big fan of the openings to 'Star Trek The Next Generation' and 'Twilight Zone.' I guess I'm a sucker for Genius Middle Aged White Guy Narrating in Metaphors Over Evocative Instrumental Music.

• Like 5

Tell me the Rockford Files theme isn't totally kickass:

I long ago accepted Cameron H as our de facto forum representative. I can only hope that his salary reflects the admiration we have for his C&O service.

Simply Irresistible is an insipid, stupid movie, from what I remember. It's weird because there's no real conflict or drama at all, just Buffy wearing a shitload of lip gloss and inexplicably falling for some random businessman.

• Like 4

Yay! We're all winners!

cast-Hamilton-won-best-musical-theatre-album-also-our-hearts.gif

giphy.gif

Double post but I finally got to the C&Os! Yay all of us for being fuckin' awesome!

Every time Paul reads my comments I swear I sound way smarter than I ever feel when I type them out. Thanks, Paul.

• Like 5

A magical crab?!?! This movie has a magical crab? If it doesn't sing, I don't see any point in it at all.

• Like 3

Just saw "Simply Irresistible". I think this might be the most bonkers movie the gang has ever picked. Literally nothing makes sense! Great pick which leaves me with very high hopes for the episode :)

• Like 3

I think, at this point, the Mini-Episodes should include Cameron H.'s picture right after Paul Schemer's. I would endorse this.

Wow, that's really flattering! Although, I'm not sure the Internet could handle my rugged good looks. I don't want the Earwolf site to crash.

I will say, I did try to find a picture of me dressed as Thomas Magnum from last Halloween, but, alas, I can't seem to locate it :( Considering this group, I felt it would be the most appropriate. Basically, I look just like this guy:

giphy.gif

So...if Paul wants to use that gif, I'd be cool with it.

Also, in regard to awesome theme songs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ

ETA: John Hillerman looks like a Thomas Lennon character...

I can only hope that his salary reflects the admiration we have for his C&O service.

I mean, I don't want to get into specifics, but Earwolf is constantly trying to throw money my way. And I have to be like, "No, no. I do this for the love of the game."

However, I will say I do make enough to recently get this. I'm not saying anyone else has to, but just thought I might direct some traffic that way...

• Like 4

I was obsessed with Buffy and had a website about it and would buy magazines to scan them. Yet I still refused to see this movie. I congratulate Paul on being braver than me. I remember the costar dissing it and saying she wished she hadn't done it.

But boo to Paul for missing the opportunity to say his favorite theme song is the rap version of HDTGM. Suck it, haters. It rules.

• Like 4

This movie is a perfect choice. It's fucking weird, makes zero sense. And Sean Patrick Flannery turns in one of the stranger performances i've seen in quite a while.

However, I will say I do make enough to recently get this. I'm not saying anyone else has to, but just thought I might direct some traffic that way...

I just bought it too!

I didn't want to crazy bring down the forums when that happened, but Orlando really really affected me in such a way that I actually got physically sick for 3 days. It was real tough to be part of the LGBT community and see the massacre and then have to see all of the bull shit that followed (in the media and in real life).

So yes I also would love to throw traffic to that!

• Like 1

its hard to pick just 3 theme songs but (other than the amazing GOT theme) these are the 3 that popped into my head first ...

at 3: the mighty boosh

at 2: hell on wheels

and at number 1: gravity falls

theres tons of more though ..

• Like 3

None of you are even close.

1. A-Team

2. The Addams Family

(the forums will only let you post two videos =\ )
  • Like 7

My mind was reeling, trying to remember all of the television theme songs I've liked over the years: Barney Miller, Taxi, Twin Peaks, Firefly (no, really), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and recently Lady Dynamite. But one of my absolute favorites theme songs is J.G. Thirwell's bombastic intro for The Venture Bros.

• Like 2

My mind was reeling, trying to remember all of the television theme songs I've liked over the years: Barney Miller, Taxi, Twin Peaks, Firefly (no, really), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and recently Lady Dynamite. But one of my absolute favorites theme songs is J.G. Thirwell's bombastic into for The Venture Bros.

The end theme of Lady Dynamite is the best.

• Like 4

I just bought it too!

I didn't want to crazy bring down the forums when that happened, but Orlando really really affected me in such a way that I actually got physically sick for 3 days. It was real tough to be part of the LGBT community and see the massacre and then have to see all of the bull shit that followed (in the media and in real life).

So yes I also would love to throw traffic to that!

I could feel your pain all week from way across the country. I'm not from Orlando originally, but I lived there, and around there, for the better part of a decade. When it happened, I was just scanning names to make sure there wasn't anyone I knew, but the more stories I read about the individuals, the more I realized that it doesn't matter that I didn't know any of them personally, y'know? I still knew them. Suffice it to say, I've surprised myself a couple times welling up as I read these stories.

However, over the week, my feelings for why silly things like HDTGM are important has been somewhat reinforced. While they can't ameliorate the pain, and shouldn't be an ether to forget what has happened, it's important to remember that there are good things in the world--positive things--and we can't let ourselves be so swept up in sorrow that we become blind to the fact that, ultimately, for everyone of every lifestyle, life should be something worth living and should be lived with one's whole heart. If we forget that, then what's even the point?

I guess what I'm saying is this: make your day better, by making other people's day better. I'm not just talking about friends and family, either. Everyone. Smile. Sympathize. Tell a stupid joke. Whatever. Thank the bag boy for bagging your groceries or tell a stranger that you like their shoes. Like Candide (kind of) said, "Let's us tend to our own garden." Let's make the space around us something beautiful, and then let's take that with us wherever we go.

And to the people who say, "Well the Bible says so and so so therefore it's wrong" and use that as an excuse to say all manner of terrible things, I'll just say this: the New Testament was a reaction to the Old. It basically threw away a lot of the outdated bullshit (e.g. a menstruating woman needs to leave the village and so forth). What this means, from a spiritual perspective, is that either God is not infallible, or that He is willing to change His mind from time to time. And if fucking God can do that, then so can you!

Seriously, if it takes a freaking book for a person to realize that something--that should be self-evident--is the wrong way to think, then I will gladly get to work on the New New Testament and clarify some of that bullshit for you.

This episode of Cameron's Soapbox was brought to by Dove. Dove: "Ain't it great to smell like a bird?"

• Like 4