🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 139 - Simply Irresistible

Thirty years old today btw :wub:

Happy Birthday!

200.gif

• Like 1

As a chef should SMG have been a little more leary about buying a bushel basket of live crabs that are not packed in water or a water tight container of some sort? A little negotiating on the price maybe?

Has anyone brought up why the fuck she was in that rando street market to start with?

Like, restaurants don't just go shopping for ingredients. They have suppliers that deliver their ingredients - usually at wholesale prices. Is she waking up and going to buy shit for her restaurant every morning? How much is she paying in food costs?

Is this why her restaurant is failing? Like, could all of this be resolved if she just called fucking Sysco?

• Like 1

Happy Birthday!

200.gif

I think they meant the film Labyrinth.

Unless you were saying happy birthday to that, and I'm just an asshole.

• Like 1

Has anyone brought up why the fuck she was in that rando street market to start with?

Like, restaurants don't just go shopping for ingredients. They have suppliers that deliver their ingredients - usually at wholesale prices. Is she waking up and going to buy shit for her restaurant every morning? How much is she paying in food costs?

Is this why her restaurant is failing? Like, could all of this be resolved if she just called fucking Sysco?

There are restaurants that do go to food markets for their ingredients, though they usually buy in bulk to last for a week rather than going every day. There are rare cases like in Jiro Dreams of Sushi where Jiro or his workers went to the fish market every morning to get fish in order to sculpt their menu for the day. Plus I can totally see a small family owned restaurant using the idea of "fresh ingredients daily" to sell food to local hipsters or foodies.

• Like 2

Did anyone else wonder what the point of having a Rube-Goldberg type Martini machine was?

The Rube-Goldberg device irritated me, as well. It's like the producers needed to jam one more quirky gimmick in to the film. But, unlike pretty much everything else in this movie, at least this contraption has some sort of pay-off.

Also, like any decent Rube-Goldberg machine, Simply Irresistible itself utilizes the clunkiest and needless devices imaginable to ultimately get to a point that could have been reached simply more effectively.

This movie is a Rube-Goldberg torture device, essentially.

I didn't have so much of a problem with her buying ingredients, but I did have a problem when she idiotically asked, "Where are the portobello mushrooms?" I mean, if she asked, "Do you have any more..." I'd be fine with it, but "Where are the..." bugged me a bit. Where do you think they are? "Sold" would be my guess-- y'know because he actually runs a successful business. Maybe next time, if you care as much about keeping your restaurant open as you proclaim, you won't just drag your hungover ass straight from the club and get to the Farmer's Market a little earlier.

I think they meant the film Labyrinth.

Unless you were saying happy birthday to that, and I'm just an asshole.

I'm just saying 'Happy Birthday' to anyone or anything that wants to claim it :)

• Like 1

I didn't have so much of a problem with her buying ingredients, but I did have a problem when she idiotically asked, "Where are the portobello mushrooms?" I mean, if she asked, "Do you have any more..." I'd be fine with it, but "Where are the..." bugged me a bit. Where do you think they are? "Sold" would be my guess-- y'know because he actually runs a successful business. Maybe next time, if you care as much about keeping your restaurant open as you proclaim, you won't just drag your hungover ass straight from the club and get to the Farmer's Market a little earlier.

I think we're supposed to believe she's an expert chef by asking this question like a boss (like, "Where are my portobello mushrooms?") But instead of sounding authoritative and/or assertive, she sounds clueless and out of her element. The farmer's retort should have been "What you see is what we have. Get here earlier next time."

• Like 1

Well...I don't want to defend this movie too much, but she was at the Union Square green market. Some chefs do shop for ingredients there, although they would probably send someone else, and I've even seen menu items that specify ingredients from the green market. But like you said, these chefs have more budget to play around with.

Well...I don't want to defend this movie too much, but she was at the Union Square green market. Some chefs do shop for ingredients there, although they would probably send someone else, and I've even seen menu items that specify ingredients from the green market. But like you said, these chefs have more budget to play around with.

I agree that it's not OUT OF THE QUESTION that she'd buy from the Greenmarket. It just seems odd that she wouldn't deal directly with the farmers at wholesale prices instead of actually going to the market herself. Also, the Greenmarket is only open four days a week so what does she do the other days? Sell stale food?

Maybe that is why the restaurant is failing?

• Like 1

I love the fact that so many of our posts have ended with this observation!

Speaking of her restaurant failing, I had this image (and repeatedly wrote it in my notes) that Gordon Ramsey would be right behind her screaming at her about how slow she works in the kitchen and how she rarely does any fucking cleaning.

He would turn that shit around for her without the magic.

• Like 6

I agree that it's not OUT OF THE QUESTION that she'd buy from the Greenmarket. It just seems odd that she wouldn't deal directly with the farmers at wholesale prices instead of actually going to the market herself. Also, the Greenmarket is only open four days a week so what does she do the other days? Sell stale food?

She could probably get away with microwaving leftover food for her 3 customers. /s

• Like 3

Speaking of her restaurant failing, I had this image (and repeatedly wrote it in my notes) that Gordon Ramsey would be right behind her screaming at her about how slow she works in the kitchen and how she rarely does any fucking cleaning.

Better movie.

• Like 5

Sorry guys, getting caught up, been in focusing on my new job with the weird hours, and finishing up rewriting a new ending for something. So only just now getting to sit down and listen to the podcast.

On the subject of 20 minutes for a good sexual though, I think she's more suggesting fantasies, as opposed to just general sex related thoughts.

Forum poll:

Sucking on fingers: hot or gross? Go!

Depends. Me doing it to someone who is okay with it: Hot.

Someone doing it to me:

tumblr_inline_mw8xpoKZfN1qhqb9q.gif

If it's something they insist on doing because they're like me and think it's hot to do to someone, I can get used to it though. lol.

• Like 3

GIF_gordon_ramsay_idiot_sandwich.gif

• Like 8

Forum poll:

Sucking on fingers: hot or gross? Go!

You know, if I like the person, either giving or receiving a good finger job in the heat of the moment is fine by me, if as the song states correctly I'll be told what her heart meant.

The whole thing really doesn't bother me too much when I still have no idea what I'd do if someone I really cared about whipped her toes up to my mouth during a moment of passion.

Waves of excitement and trust in her eyes, and a wall of fear and bewilderment in mine. Yikes!

• Like 2

GIF_gordon_ramsay_idiot_sandwich.gif

omfg Ramsey is brilliant

Sometimes I hate modern reality tv programming but then there's moments of pure beauty like that.

• Like 1

You know, if I like the person, either giving or receiving a good finger job in the heat of the moment is fine by me, if as the song states correctly I'll be told what her heart meant.

This is a damn fine joke, and I have nothing to add to it. I just wanted to tell you that I appreciated it, even if no one else did.

Nah, I stick to David Bowie in Labyrinth and THOSE leggings. Thirty years old today btw :wub:

I turned 29 yesterday! One year younger exactly. I enjoy the neatness of that.

Anyway, carry on everyone...

• Like 2

I turned 29 yesterday! One year younger exactly. I enjoy the neatness of that.

Anyway, carry on everyone...

And...a very Happy Birthday to you!

200.gif

• Like 2

I remember getting a drink with my girlfriends after we'd just seen The Avengers, and were discussing who was the hottest dude. (It depends on your facial hair preference, really.) We all agreed Mark Ruffalo was handsome in a kind of disheveled, sensitive way, and that we were probably drawn to him because he's damaged/troubled. One of my friends was like "It's Loki, how is this even a contest?" and it really made me think how, much of the time, I don't even consider someone attractive if their morality doesn't vibe with mine. It's crazy how much this influences perception of beauty, although bad boy/evil is a turn on for many -- still, I'd never fuck a Republican, no matter how hot they are.

I posted a list on one of the forums of my ranking of the Avengers and Ruffalo is second, iirc. I feel at a distance I can separate the sexy from the character as a whole. They could be morally dicey but I will still find them attractive, like Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal Lecter

Does no one else think his hair looks greasy and gross? I love the character, but I just don't get it.

Now, when he cleans up like in High-Rise or that awful Guillermo Del Toro movie, I totally see it.

Almost all Hiddleston does it for me. I find his height attractive so that's why I'm Loki-inclusive

• Like 2

I love that the IMDB plot synopsis author totally loses steam in trying to describe the action of this terrible movie.

"But when one night they begin kissing, they float up to the ceiling of the restaurant and Tom begins thinking that Amanda is a witch. Amanda is heartbroken and still has to do the event for him. Tom is feeling confused on what to do, but makes the right decision in the end."

Based on this episode and the comments, I infer that "the right decision" was to drive his car off a bridge?

Genuine question to all the Tom Hiddleton fans.

Are you more or less turned on now he has posed for those God awful topless photos. I don't fancy him myself but I can see how he has that sort of rogish/intelligent/sarcastic/bad boy appeal. But those pictures just look so embarrassing. Dad undies, untoned bod and an expression that's less 'come to bed' and more 'I think I left the gas on'

• Like 1

Genuine question to all the Tom Hiddleton fans.

Are you more or less turned on now he has posed for those God awful topless photos. I don't fancy him myself but I can see how he has that sort of rogish/intelligent/sarcastic/bad boy appeal. But those pictures just look so embarrassing. Dad undies, untoned bod and an expression that's less 'come to bed' and more 'I think I left the gas on'

Which media outlet are they from?

• Like 1