⚠️ Read this before you sign up! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DavidW

Best Comedy on Netflix Instant

This seems like a great place to share suggestions for sitcoms, comedy films, and stand-up specials on Netflix Instant, especially less well-known ones or ones with Earwolf guests. One sitcom I discovered on Netflix Instant is Pushing Daisies, which was a great, short-lived sitcom that had Paul F. Tompkins (Suit Magoo), Paul Reubens, and David Koechner as guest stars. There's a lot of famous shows like South Park and Kids in the Hall on Netflix Instant, which is great, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for shows or movies that were surprises.

I would highly recommend the 2nd season of Louie coming up. and if you haven't already, catch the first.

Louie is one of my favorite shows of all-time. I love that he's willing explore something no matter how dark it can get, like in the Bully episode. He seems to trust that his audience isn't expecting just joke-after-joke and creates something much more rewarding and complicated. It's similar to Bobcat Goldthwait's movie World's Greatest Dad (also on Netflix Instant), which is one of the most rewarding bittersweet comedies I've ever seen.

That scene in the restaurant during the Bully episode was one of the most captivating things i've seen on TV in a while.

Instant Netflix is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. They have a ton of seasons of South Park, first season of The League, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Chappelle's Show, Kids In The Hall, a ton of Mystery Science Theater 3000, 30 Rock, Dead Like Me, The Office (US and UK), Monty Python, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, The Larry Sanders Show, Kenny vs. Spenny, The Cosby Show, Party Down, Californication, Coupling, Little Britain, Nick Swardson's Pretend Time, Upright Citizen's Brigade, The State, Better Off Ted, Trailer Park Boys, The Whitest Kids U Know, Archer, The Catherine Tate Show, Scrubs, SNL, That 70's Show, Ally McBeal, The IT Crowd, Reno 911, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad and the aforementioned Parks and Rec, Louie, and Pushing Daisies. These are just the TV shows of course. There are a ton of movies and stand up specials, as well as some Comedy Central Roasts. This is a very broad range of tastes because "comedy" is subjective (as you can see, I like a few British shows). I could go on and be a big nerd, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Which of the British shows on Netflix are worth watching? I've seen Monty Python, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, and the Office, but there's a lot more on Netflix. I had to turn off Blackadder after ten minutes- it was way too broad and half the show was applause breaks. Does it get better?

I really like the IT Crowd, which has been on for four seasons, and is essentially the opposite of the Office: rather than being painfully real, it's ludicrously unreal. And a ton of fun.

• Like 1

I haven't watched Blackadder - for some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me. I love Little Britain and The Office. If you're a Steve Coogan fan, Saxondale is awesome. The Catherine Tate Show is pretty good too - I have a friend who's really into it. I haven't watched all of it yet, but she's a pretty talented performer. That's another "classic" Brit sketch show (they really love those, don't they?) Coupling is the UK version of Friends - I love it, plus it gets away with a bit more raunchy stuff because they're not puritanical fools like us. Pulling is decent - it's sort of in the same genre (it's a primarily female cast, which is nice). The IT Crowd is AWESOME! I friggen love that show. If you're a Father Ted fan (which unfortunately isn't on instant), you'll love it too (as it's from the same writer/creator). Chris O'Dowd, who just played Kristen Wiig's love interest in Bridesmaids is one of the stars of it, and Noel Fielding of The Mighty Boosh has a recurring character on it. Check that one out for sure.

I found out about the brilliant show "Party Down" after I got into "Parks and Recreation" and the suggestion popped up on Netflix instant one day. Then I thusly devoured all of Party Down in less than a week...such a great show.

Also, it took a while but thanks to Netflix, I finally saw "Wet Hot American Summer" and it was one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

Ooh and so is Nick Swardson's show and quite a few good things I caught when I was perusing the new to instant streaming page in class....

@andres Thanks for the Four Lions recommendation, it was both hilarious and incredibly intense.

With respect to the British comedy discussion, I'd add a recommendation for Fawlty Towers with John Cleese, which is streaming right now. Also, Doug Stanhope's "No Refunds" stand up special is great.

With respect to the British comedy discussion, I'd add a recommendation for Fawlty Towers with John Cleese, which is streaming right now. Also, Doug Stanhope's "No Refunds" stand up special is great.

"peep show" is on Hulu. It's a great show. Netflix has a great film on instant "The Boys' and Girls' Guide to getting down." It's a send up of the LA party scene. Really funny and underrated. It's almost been a TV show a couple of times.
Also "Shark Attack 4" is pretty funny, but not on purpose.

• Like 1

Netflix has the vast majority of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 collection available streaming. They also have a number available through the mail. I'd recommend The Final Sacrifice, Future War, Werewolf, Gunslingers, Final Justice and of course Manos: Hands of Fate. All very funny. And if you haven't checked out Trailer Park Boys I would give that a shot. It's hilarious and Netflix has all seven seasons of the T.V. series as well as the second of their two movies. Start with the series because it was made several years before the movie.

Anyone who cares about stand up at all needs to watch American: The Bill Hicks Story

And, Nick Kroll: Thank You Very Cool, also Dana Gould: Let Me Put My Thoughts in You... I could do this all day

I just feel like stand-up is one of the only things that Netflix instant has an abundance of, so just watch everything! It's all so good!

Sign in to follow this