🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Head Spin

Horror Versus

The "Rosemary's Baby vs. Replusion" and Lucio Fulci threads have really kept me thinking about a horror versus episode. It's not that those original threads aren't great ideas, because they are. However, I would really like to see two great horror movies from two different directors go head-to-head.

And that could be anything. Suspiria vs. Ring.

Dawn of the Dead vs. Shaun of the Dead.

Psycho vs. Scream

From Beyond vs. The Beyond

Halloween vs. The Exorcist

There are a million possibilities, but I just wanted to make a general vote for the format.

EDIT: I just remembered that we already had a Fly vs. Thing episode, but that ruled; More points for the format.

• Like 7

I was trying to think of another foriegn vs american remake where both films could hold there own but I've got nothing so...

The devil's backbone vs The others

Funny games (original) vs man bites dog

eraserhead vs the brood

peeping tom vs eyes without a face

This would be completely unpleasant but, In a Glass Cage vs Persona

The Fly/Thing and Let the Right One In episodes have touched upon the idea of remakes and their relationship with their source films, but I think the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers vs. the 1978 remake would make for a great episode (and while I love them both, I would vote for the remake no question).

I think Dawn of the Dead would stomp Shaun of the Dead. Dawn vs. Night of the Living Dead would be a more interesting episode.

• Like 1

I think Dawn of the Dead would stomp Shaun of the Dead. Dawn vs. Night of the Living Dead would be a more interesting episode.

Day of the Dead should gets its due as well

• Like 1

You're probably right, but I have way more affection for Shaun then Dawn, and I like Dawn a lot. I think it'd get killed by the historical importance argument, but I could easily see myself voting for it.

• Like 1

DR CALIGARI vs CARNIVAL OF SOULS

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT vs THE HILLS HAVE EYES

i like your second pairing. I remember suggesting on the old forum to put up Carnival Of Souls against NIght Of The Living Dead. Both are kind of B-Movie 60s drive-in black-and-white classics. I think I'd pair Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari with Der Golem: Wie er in die Welt kam, though. Both came out in 1920, both German expressionistic horror films, an furthermore, both with Conrad Veidt. But while Caligari was kind of the blueprint for the genre, Golem took the set design style to the next level. Also, it would give Amy to geek out a bit on her knowledge about the genre. What do you say?

Nosferatau (1922) vs. Bram Stokers Dracula (1992). I think the 70 year difference is a nice bonus.

The Coppola film is mostly bullshit, apart from some of the production design and art direction (the Hammer-esque exteriors, Dracula's incredible suit of armor).

• Like 1

Here's a crazy pitch...

What if they did a three-way versus episode?

To decide which should be representative of the Universal Horror Lineup: Dracula vs. Frankenstein vs. The Wolfman. That could be fun, I think.

• Like 1

How about a triple Threat Match.

Halloween Vs. Friday the 13th Vs. Nightmare on Elm Street. The three films that fully kicked off the Slasher Film genre of the 70's and 80's.

Keep it to two or preferably one unless there's a good reason. I do like Night of the Living Dead vs. Dawn of the Dead but falls into the same argument given for Star Wars beating Empire.

The Coppola film is mostly bullshit, apart from some of the production design and art direction (the Hammer-esque exteriors, Dracula's incredible suit of armor).

I guess we know which way you would vote then ;)

I guess we know which way you would vote then ;)/>

I'm pretty certain I'm in the majority opinion on that film. It's not good, but I do enjoy elements of it.

DR CALIGARI vs CARNIVAL OF SOULS

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT vs THE HILLS HAVE EYES

I like that your profile pic is from Suspiria.

The "Rosemary's Baby vs. Replusion" and Lucio Fulci threads have really kept me thinking about a horror versus episode. It's not that those original threads aren't great ideas, because they are. However, I would really like to see two great horror movies from two different directors go head-to-head.

And that could be anything. Suspiria vs. Ring.

Dawn of the Dead vs. Shaun of the Dead.

Psycho vs. Scream

From Beyond vs. The Beyond

Halloween vs. The Exorcist

There are a million possibilities, but I just wanted to make a general vote for the format.

EDIT: I just remembered that we already had a Fly vs. Thing episode, but that ruled; More points for the format.

I agree with you (as the guy who started the Fulci thread). But after that Re-Animator episode and the very unfair things levied against it in the episode and in the forum, putting some of my favorite movies up for discussion makes me nervous. Though at the end of the day, I'd just be happy they were discussed.

I like that your profile pic is from Suspiria.

hard to resist picking from the most eye candy stuffed horror flick ever

• The Red Shoes vs. Black Swan
  • Bela Lugosi's Dracula vs. Boris Karloff's Frankenstein
  • Halloween vs. Friday the 13th. Or maybe A Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th. Either or.
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre vs. Halloween
  • Scream vs. The Silence of the Lambs
  • The Exorcist vs. The Omen
  • An American Werewolf in London vs. Shaun of the Dead

Sign in to follow this