🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ZZZ

Ghost World

I threw Ghost World out as a joke under indulgence and mentioned it in passing under another suggestion for Zwigoff but, the more it rolls around in my head the more I honestly feel it could hold its own as an episode. I know its flawed, I know the source material its pulling from is close to untouchable but, its a great adaption. The performances are amazing and it conveys an insane amount of character and friendship without being weighty or over indulgent. The performances are fantastic and the only recent movie I've seen come close to it (as far as coming of age female stories are concerned) is We Are The Best. I rescind Ghost World as an indulgence pick and resubmit as something blatantly worthy of canon.

• Like 2

I'd like an excuse to re-watch Ghost World, and I also think it'd produce an interesting discussion. Probably a soft yes for me. I'm not sure it's been very influential but it's certainly capturing something about the zeitgeist in its portrayal of ironic engagement shifting into sincere engagement, and the way that plays into contemporary coming of age. There's also, on the cultural side, the fact that it's one of the few intersections of the huge world of dramatic indie comic books and the film world I know of, and the leads are both stars delivering great performances.

Sign in to follow this