🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This is that movie you've seen pieces of on cable and can never remember the name of, but is so insane that those parts you saw are burned into your brain forever. Chevy Chase and Demi Moore play rich New York socialites who get pulled over for running a stop sign in a backwoods town on the way to Atlantic City. They go before the town judge (a hundred-year-old man played by Dan Aykroyd in rubber makeup worthy of an Austin Powers sequel) and get thrown in the brig for being assholes. The rest of the movie consists the unlikable duo encountering a series of bizarre set pieces and revolting characters, including a flesh-devouring rollercoaster, a giant mute woman played unfortunately by John Candy, a triple-bladed guillotine, two man-sized greasy babies, a performance by Digital Underground, and a toy train that dispenses hot dog condiments. This movie was written and directed by Aykroyd, who I'm sure envisioned a horror-comedy in the vein of Ghostbusters, but ended up with some kind of harbinger of the Saw franchise. If Old Dogs was a comedy made by aliens trying to understand our world, this is a comedy made by a serial killer trying to make us understand his.

• Like 1

I disagree. Any movie that has Digital Underground (w/Tupac) in it is good with me regardless. I would have probably enjoyed Crank 2 if DU was in it!

Just made a new post for this, not seeing one was already here, but I'll reiterate.

Just stumbled upon this on cable. Had almost forgot this existed. Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Demi Moore, and John Candy in one of the worst mashups ever made. Part "comedy," part Twilight Zone horror movie. John Candy dressed as a woman. Dan Aykroyd as 100+ year old goul with a penis for a nose. A rollercoaster that murders traffic violators. In the middle of the film, for no reason, there is a musical number with Digital Underground and Tupac Shakur. Yes. This was Tupac's film debut. Oh. I forgot that Dan Aykroyd also plays a giant junkyard baby. Truly one of the worst films ever made and a blight on the career of all involved (even Chevy Chase). A perfect film for HOW DID THIS GET MADE.

I was looking though the forum to see if this was here and just by reading that someone else has seen this movie, I feel justified that I didn't invent it in a fever-dream. Because it it nuuuuuuuuuuuts.

• Like 1

I recommend 1991's bizarre horror comedy "Nothing but Trouble" starring Demi Moore and Chevy Chase. Directed by Dan Akroyd and I have no idea what he was going for. Enjoy the scenes with Mr. Bonestripper and the performance by Digital Underground.

Yes! I remember seeing parts of this as a child and being really freaked out by it. Not because it was scary. Just the utter lack of any sense or comedy.

Good god yes. I've been meaning to suggest this for screening but every week I forget to do it. Finally looked here to find that some wise souls have already suggested. It, but if I can further its case:

I was in high school when this came our. I liked lesser Chevy Chase like "funny Farm". I owned Blues Bros. albums other than the soundtrack. I was a pretty uncritical nerd and even I was shocked by how bad this was.

I remember Spike Lee bitching about this movie, and the fact that Ackroyd was given funding and the ability to make this based on nothing at all, and called it the worst movie ever made. Hyperbole, but not far off, this thing is terrible. But it world be fun to hear the reaction to it on HDTGM. I want Jason to have to watch this, I need to hear what he has to say about it.

And yes, young Tupac Shakur appears in the Digital Underground scene. You'd think a hip hop act being dragged into a rural courthouse on a traffic violation before a dicknosed centenarian judge would be ripe for some sort of acknowledgement of the racial potential of the scene. No dice, and once DU are performing and Dan Ackroyd is dancing along, you will weep.

Paul is about my age. I know a little of his likes, something of his background after hearing his WTF interview. I have to imagine this was on his radar when it was released, if not something he saw. I only ask that it be revisited, and given the consideration it deserves.

Holy shit I was just thinking about this movie like you said, some scenes you never forget. That roller coaster is off the wall crazy. Even more absurd is how Aykroyd got $40 million to make this movie and it only made $8.5 million.

Murderous New Jersey hick family but with like a Addams Family house.

Weirdest, worst movie ever. Chevy Chase, Dan Akyroyd, Demi Moore, John Candy.

Completely doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be.

It's like the Hills Have Eyes meets Vacation meets the Goonies.

Digital Underground/Tupac has a musical numbers for no reason and it's just insane and it scared me when I was it as a kid.

I remember seeing this in theaters as a kid because there was nothing better that interested by adolescent mind. I remember liking it but this cannot be a good movie, specially with those twins. So many big names, such a bad movie. Good recommendation.

So glad they reviewed it. It's one of those movies that just doesn't know what tone in wants to go for. Those confused movies often make for the best reviews on this podcast.

I hope someone enjoyed this movie, because i found my self with my finger on the fast forward button...

Ah, the faux pas. I'm still catching up and may have to skip up to this one. :D

For your consideration, Nothing But Trouble.

Early 90s comedy Dan Aykroyd wrote, directed and co-starred ($40 million budget, box office almost $8.5 million). Cast also includes Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, and John Candy. Soundtrack produced by Tupac Shakur! Dan Aykroyd won the Worst Supporting Actor in the 1991 Razzies. Also nominated for Worst Picture, Worst Actress (Demi Moore), Worst Suporting Actress (John Candy in drag), Worst Director, and Worst Screenplay. One man, one film, three Razzie nominations...this is two decades before Jack and Jill.

In closing, this movie is a hot mess that's a true HDTGM gold mine.

Thanks for your time.

Sign in to follow this