🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jamsmad

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009)

I think if you're perfectly willing to rip a baby out of your wife with your bare hands...you don't need a magical cave to rid you of your conscience.

I think the first Street Fighter movie is vastly superior to this, however in this one at least some fighting does take place in the streets, and this one has a very good rifftrax for it http://www.theootl.com/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42&zenid=8heildhsa64bqd9ji4aaee1595 so at least it has that going for it.

i can watch the van damme movie a million times and love it

that campiness was awesome

legend of chun li was unwatchable

Yes. Yes! A thousand times YES!!! Please do this movie, HDTGM!

Also: does Chris Klein look like he could be Jason Lee's twin brother to anyone else?

I have a theory that in the early stages it was supposed to be a Fatal Fury / King of Fighters movie but Neal McDonough was already attached and that probably for copyright reasons they just lazily changed things around him. And the costumer had no idea what was going on.

Seriously look:

600full-neal-mcdonough.jpg

geese_howard.jpg

Also I hear the real The King of Fighters film was pretty terrible, but I barely know those games so I don't care to seek it out.

I think the first Street Fighter movie is vastly superior to this, however in this one at least some fighting does take place in the streets

So maybe this movie will at least clear things up for June

*watches clip in first post at top of thread*

I wanna know how Chris Klein's hairline got made. That is a mystery. He should be more bald, right? It's so far back. O o O

--

At any rate, I can't stand this film. It's just badly done, and has such a bland tone, and is boring. Anytime I leave my TV on an FX or TNT or something by accident, there's a chance this will come on. I know I've seen a lot of it, actually, just in bits and pieces, and it's just such a snoozefest (in addition to treating the "Street Fighter" license like horseshit). There's no charm. There's no skill involved in making it. None of the characters look like their game counterparts, or just cool independent of the license. Nothing looks good; it's all bland. It's not even enough to illicit rage. It just sucks.

They can watch Tekken or DOA Dead or Alive instead. Two movies that are also based on video games, and are also not great by any stretch of the imagination, but are at least entertaining in their awfulness. Heck, sometimes, they're even just plain entertaining (well choreographed fight scenes at least, and even some nice casting choices - Jamie Pressley as Tina Armstrong in DOA? And Kevin Nash as her father, Bass - the character in the game inspired by WWF Wrestlers? Sure! That's actually really good casting!).

If we're going to get HDTGM to watch and have a discussion about a bonkers, fantastical martial arts flick that butchers a cherished license, Dragonball Evolution exists. They could watch that too instead.

Legend of Chun Li though? It's just boring, sucky, and... it just sucks. Just talking about it saps my energy to... continue talking about it. Ugh. fuck.

Let's just forget it and enjoy this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vkSrXrAbT0

Saw this on the side while watching that ^ video:

Another great review of this movie. NSFW language abound

This reminds me. Rollerball, an earlier Chris Klein flop, was released in 2002 and set in the sadistic dystopia of...2005. That has to be a record for shortest shelf-life.

• Haha 1

This reminds me. Rollerball, an earlier Chris Klein flop, was released in 2002 and set in the sadistic dystopia of...2005. That has to be a record for shortest shelf-life.

There was a movie from one of the guys involved with the "Saw" movies about a demon coming to earth on 11-11-11, called "11-11-11." It was released on that day, meaning that if you went to the movie literally the day after it came out, you were seeing a movie about an event that could happen on a day that had already passed by.

• Like 2

There was a movie from one of the guys involved with the "Saw" movies about a demon coming to earth on 11-11-11, called "11-11-11." It was released on that day, meaning that if you went to the movie literally the day after it came out, you were seeing a movie about an event that could happen on a day that had already passed by.

"2012" ultimately proved to be GROSSLY inaccurate as well.

• Like 1

Oh man I saw that movie when they were still calling it "11-11-11: The Prophecy" and I keep getting it confused with this other 11-11-11 movie that came out straight to video. Both probably horrible but holy Jesus Christ that first one was some epic awfulness.

They should do Chun Li though cause I still need to hear June figure out what a Street Fighter is.

I'm watching it right now with my homies and the first fight scene where a man lights someone on fire by lighting himself on fire first...is amazing.

• Haha 1

I haven't watched this movie in a bit (since I worked at Blockbuster), but I recall it being wild in a bad way and Chris Klein's performance is just indescribably bad, and he clearly made a choice to do it that way. Can't have too many video game films on the podcast and you guys already did Street Fighter, may as well do this one as well!