🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
jamsmad

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009)

This movie should really be called Street Fighter: Legend of Chris Klein's Acting Career. Every moment that he appears on screen is pure, unintentional comedy gold. It's as if he thought he was in an extended audition for a Nic Cage biopic all the way down to the ridiculous haircut. Here's a sample of his "acting" (but by no means is this all there is to it):

Furthermore, this movie features Taboo from The Black Eyed Peas as Vega. Done and Done. This movie has so far been the highlight of the bad movie night that I'm a part of. I heartily recommend.

Based on the Street Fighter series of video games, this movie casts Chris Klein as an Interpol agent tasked to run the Thailand office. That is one of the least crazy things about this weird, incompetent, but still really entertaining movie. Mostly, I feel like a one man cult about this one, and feel like I'm the only person who's seen it. If we could get this movie onto the podcast, I'd feel a lot less like an insane street preacher.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie but a video game site that I visit does a feature on bad video game movies (http://www.giantbomb.com/tang-sf-the-legend-of-chun-li/17-969/) and the clips it contains is about the extent of the movie that I'd like to see. In that sense, it seems like an excellent candidate for HDTGM.

I wish that Nicolas Cage would take Chris Klein under his wing and groom him to be the next ridiculous action star. He's got the hair for it in this movie.

Ham anyone? Chris Klein delivers the hammiest performance of all time, this alone is enough to qualify this movie, combine that with a character who rips a baby out of his wife's womb and you are just scratching the surface of this insanity.

Ham anyone? Chris Klein delivers the hammiest performance of all time, this alone is enough to qualify this movie, combine that with a character who rips a baby out of his wife's womb and you are just scratching the surface of this insanity.

This is an amazing selection for its unexpected brutality. It should have been rated R for violence and death.

At first, you think "Okay, this cute girl is knocking these men unconscious. Well, okay, she shot that guy in the shoulder because she had little choice." Even the aforementioned baby-ripping scene occurs off-screen, so perhaps it's acceptable. But then at the end, when she has defeated Bison and the backup is swiftly approaching, she breaks his neck. That scene forces you to look back and realize that she didn't shoot a man in the chest... she shot him in the heart. She didn't knock a man unconscious and tie his body to a light pole... she killed him and dangled his corpse as a message.

This is an amazing selection for its unexpected brutality. It should have been rated R for violence and death.

At first, you think "Okay, this cute girl is knocking these men unconscious. Well, okay, she shot that guy in the shoulder because she had little choice." Even the aforementioned baby-ripping scene occurs off-screen, so perhaps it's acceptable. But then at the end, when she has defeated Bison and the backup is swiftly approaching, she breaks his neck. That scene forces you to look back and realize that she didn't shoot a man in the chest... she shot him in the heart. She didn't knock a man unconscious and tie his body to a light pole... she killed him and dangled his corpse as a message.

Me and my brother have a bad movie night and this has become my gold standard for what we hope and wish for each time we watch a new one. What isn't there to like? Ridiculously bad acting and action, cameo by Taboo of Black Eyed Peas fame, and Nic Cage in the role of a lifetime... what's that? That's Chris Klein? Could've fooled me. He acts and looks like he's in a 96 minute audition for a Nic Cage biopic.

Seriously, this movie is ridiculous and must be done.

• Like 1

This is my favorite bad movie of all time narrowly edging out Battlefield Earth and Stealth. You will laugh more than any comedy you've seen in years.

Seriously. Best bad movie in histroy. Hilarious in every way from production to plot to amount of times Taboo appears on screen. Chris Klein will be the next Nic Cage. That is after he buys several castles and names his son Kal-El. Don't believe me? Check this out:

Seriously. Best bad movie in histroy. Hilarious in every way from production to plot to amount of times Taboo appears on screen. Chris Klein will be the next Nic Cage. That is after he buys several castles and names his son Kal-El.

Wow...that was really bad. That kind of acting is what I despise about action flicks. Everything is so built up to make the protagonist a badass...when its over done it truly is terrible.

This has my blessing to be a candidate just based off of those Klein clips...yuck.

I had such high hopes for this one and was let down.

Now THIS, was a terrible movie.

I wasn't expecting much, but wow did this movie completely underwhelm me and made me WTF several times, specifically with Chris Klein's portrayal of Charlie.

I totally nominate Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li for an episode of "How Did This Get Made?"

It's BAD.

But SO WORTH watching for two words: Chris Klein.

This was one of his acting jobs after his engagement to Katie Holmes was "suddenly" called off (and we all know how that ended for Katie (insert Xenu joke here).

Anyways as a huge fan of Paul, June and Jason, I'd love to hear them talk about this horrible movie that in all seriousness, can be a really fun drinking game.

This, or even the original Street Fighter movie - which is pretty terrible but still kinda fun...this, from what I hear, is only fun *because* it's so terrible.

While you could go down a huge rabbit hole watching "videogame movies," this one had a big release, big names, and actually looks like fun to watch.

This movie is pure awful. It has the WORST sexy dance scene I've ever seen - and when I say "sexy dance" I mean, "it was meant to me a sexy lady-on-lady seduction dance but they were barely moving and had dead eyes."

How is that possible?!?!?! The high hopes part, I mean.

Chun-Li is a great character. Going back to the animated Street Fighter movie, she was fantastic and very well written.

An Americainized version could have great but the story line was terrible and the addition of horrible side characters made this movie bad.

If I were to do a Chun-Li movie, I would focus on her father dying and her training before she joins Interpol. My movie would end with her discovering the Bison murdered (or had ordered) her father's death.

Maybe have her first case be tracking Vega or Cammie.

Still a lot of holes for me to work through with that one but it sounds like a much better movie then what we were given.

Chun-Li is a great character. Going back to the animated Street Fighter movie, she was fantastic and very well written.

An Americainized version could have great but the story line was terrible and the addition of horrible side characters made this movie bad.

If I were to do a Chun-Li movie, I would focus on her father dying and her training before she joins Interpol. My movie would end with her discovering the Bison murdered (or had ordered) her father's death.

Maybe have her first case be tracking Vega or Cammie.

Still a lot of holes for me to work through with that one but it sounds like a much better movie then what we were given.

There was nothing about the casting, the names behind the scenes, the trailers, the promotion, etc. that got me excited. I know what you mean, you think Chun Li movie and your imagination runs wild, but nothing I knew about THIS movie, from what I saw of it going into it, gave me any hope whatsoever.

• Like 1

There was nothing about the casting, the names behind the scenes, the trailers, the promotion, etc. that got me excited. I know what you mean, you think Chun Li movie and your imagination runs wild, but nothing I knew about THIS movie, from what I saw of it going into it, gave me any hope whatsoever.

I was on board with some of the casting (well one of the castings) but after hearing more casting choices, you're right. I was out at that point but still held out some hope for good bad and not bad bad.

i can't help but laugh at how absurd irish bison is...

he was abandoned by his irish missionary parents in thailand as a child, that presumably means he grows up in thailand... so that irish accent would have faded away A LONG TIME AGO

this is just one of the many absurdities in this turd fest

• Like 1