🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 140 - Mannequin Two: On the Move (w/ Steve Agee)

I would also like to talk a little bit about Hollywood Montrose. He was amazing, and I would argue, the true hero of this movie! Think about it, aside from the sword fight, any time daring needs doing in this movie, Hollywood is the one to do it. You get arrested for stealing a mannequin? Hollywood's going to break you out. You need a heavily locked door kicked open? Don't worry, Hollywood's got them dancer's legs. You shot a gun at Hollywood's face? Fret not, he's from Philly. In fact, it isn't until the Count runs out of bullets, and all immediate danger has been neutralized, does Jason step up to the plate and say, "No, no, Hollywood. I've got this." Well, I should certainly hope so, Jason. My hero... :(

However, as much as I would like to laud Hollywood for his bravery all day, he does fall short a couple of times. The first is when the store delegation arrives at the airport and his presentation solely consists of him doing a one man cheer for the Count. Talk about embezzling company funds...According to the film, his title is "Chief of Visual Merchandising." If that's the best he could come up with, whatever they're paying him is way too much.

The second time Hollywood drops the ball is right before the main presentation. Backstage, the mannequin is being guarded by a couple of cops (who, oddly enough, seem to disappear the moment there's gun play) and the Count's goons. While he's back there, Hollywood touches up Jessie's makeup and whispers to her what a great guy Jason* is and then walks away. However, the one thing he didn't do, especially considering his close proximity to Jessie, is try to take off the damn necklace! He's right there! Sure, the Count's thugs might try to put it back on, but there are a couple of cops there who might have a couple of questions as to why this mannequin they are guarding suddenly sprung to life. Maybe it's just in Hollywood's nature to make everything as dramatic as possible, but by ignoring a simple solution to their problem in order to put on the best ever mannequin "pre-sen-tacion," he certainly put a lot of people's lives in danger.

*I love how on-board people are with one another in this movie:

I've known you for two seconds but you look like my ex-boyfriend? That's great! I love you!

My boss hired this guy yesterday to be my assistant without consulting me first and we've only spent a couple of hours together? That's awesome! He's the greatest guy in the world and I'd happily commit a felony for him.

• Like 6

Possible correction - Paul said that Jason took Jessie to a souvlaki stand, but they ended up grabbing some Philly cheesesteaks (because Philadelphia). On the drive there, they did pass by a Souvlaki restaurant, but it was not a street vendor.

Forgive me, I didn't actually watch the movie, but was it this one by any chance?

4a27cea81fc4bce086a8ee3ded666e91.jpg

It's a pretty iconic souvlaki restaurant on South Street (big hangout area). IIRC it was in the first movie, and I believe you can see it in (certain versions of) the opening credits of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

• Like 1

I've read through this whole thread once more and I can't remember anyone mentioning the jail break. Wouldn't Jason still be wanted for breaking out of jail? Wouldn't Hollywood and Jasons mom be wanted for aiding and abedding/helping a prisoner break out of jail? Maybe not so much Hollywood, they'd still be on the look out for a Army commander named "Butch"

• Like 2

All-time, top 5 episode today. Holy hell.

I confused Kristy Swanson with Kristy McNicol this whole episode, and now I want to hear the gang take on "The Pirate Movie". "Buckle your swash and jolly your Roger," indeed.

PIRATEMOVIE1SH.jpg

• Like 1

Forgive me, I didn't actually watch the movie, but was it this one by any chance? 4a27cea81fc4bce086a8ee3ded666e91.jpg It's a pretty iconic souvlaki restaurant on South Street (big hangout area). IIRC it was in the first movie, and I believe you can see it in (certain versions of) the opening credits of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Same name, but the facade looks different.

PeolxSK.png?1

• Like 1

Off topic and bringing up a Mini-Thread discussion but someone in my office just talked about Pokemon as the new "zeitgeist" that people will get tired of and he has definitely used it before this during discussion of other topics. I think that's officially the word/phrase that I can no longer stand because the person is just trying to make themselves seem above whatever the topic is. We get it, you hipster, you don't enjoy popular things.

• Like 3

Thanks, tomspanks! I knew it had to be South Street Souvlaki because I literally can't think of any other souvlaki restaurant in Philadelphia (although I'm sure there are plenty).

do you think the 3 dumbass body guards ... arnold, sylvester and jean-claude ... were the inspiration for the three little pigs from the shrek movies?

I saw the thumbnail, and was so disappointed that it wasn't this

the kiss was discussed by the team. i think taken on its own it's weird but ... maybe the writers were trying for something a little deeper here than it first appears.

watch the GIF below. back in medieval times, the prince puts the necklace on Jessie, curse is set and he kisses her. then in modern times, Jason kisses Jessie and is then able to remove the necklace, breaking the curse.

bp40HAn.gif?1

mmm??? .. actually no ... now that i think of it ... Jason had no clue of any of that so he was just kissing an inanimate object in the shape of a woman ... it's still makes him a weirdo ... i wonder if these movies are considered must see movies in the "real doll" world?

• Like 1

I think the love story in this movie is unintentionally very dark. Jessie can't seem to accept that Jason isn't actually Prince William. So she is entering into this 100% in love with someone she has never met.........unless Jason is the Jupiter Ascending style exact genetic recreation of William. And even then I don't like this situation for Jessie.

• Like 4

By the way, the sequel with the male should be Mannequin 3: The Mannequing. (sound it out)

• Like 1

and finally ... this really is a really pervy movie... the perfume seller knew jason for about 2 days, she had never met jessie before and still this conversation happens

howwasit.gif

how was it she asked? who asks that of a complete stranger? perv ... i kinda like her

• Like 2

TRAITOR!

traitor.gif

It's a good thing there wasn't a new DLM today, too, or it might be, like, Wednesday before I listen.

I know it was brought up in the show that somebody from the 10th century being named "Jessie" is a strange occurrence, but I just want to point out that it's not just strange, it's impossible! We have no records of anyone at all being named "Jessica" until Shakespeare used that name in The Merchant of Venice in the 1590s. So she doesn't just have an unusually modern form of a name, she has a name that nobody in the world would ever even have for another 600 years.

• Like 5

Seriously Paul... seriously... What can we do as fans to make Male-quin 3 happen? Would you guys be seriously willing to make it? I can't tell you how much I'd love for this to happen and I think many fans of HDTGM would agree with me

I did a quick mock-up of what I think the poster would look like

So again... seriously, what can we do to make this happen?

post-121090-0-77983100-1468264024_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

the kiss was discussed by the team. i think taken on its own it's weird but ... maybe the writers were trying for something a little deeper here than it first appears.

watch the GIF below. back in medieval times, the prince puts the necklace on Jessie, curse is set and he kisses her. then in modern times, Jason kisses Jessie and is then able to remove the necklace, breaking the curse.

bp40HAn.gif?1

mmm??? .. actually no ... now that i think of it ... Jason had no clue of any of that so he was just kissing an inanimate object in the shape of a woman ... it's still makes him a weirdo ... i wonder if these movies are considered must see movies in the "real doll" world?

I thought that when Hollywood told him the story he included the part about a lover breaking the curse. And, as Disney would have us believe, a kiss from your one true love does the trick.

So I watched that not thinking he was a creep, but just testing the curse to see if it would bring her back if she was in fact real.

• Like 2

MORE OF AN ANSWER THAN ANYTHING ELSE: I believe the Helen Slater movie mentioned is The Legend of Billie Jean. A true classic.

• Like 3

OMISSION: This movie came out in 1991, but the poster on Jason's door has a 1988 football schedule. Did this movie sit on the shelf for years or...what?

• Like 1

OMISSION: How does Jessie's hair change from her uptown girl do at the store to her feathered hair in Jason's room after the mini-car chase?

• Like 2

OMISSION: When Jason takes Jessie out on the town, and before he shows her herself on TV, they pass a shoe store named Fetishes. That's just weird. Was there a real show store named Fetishes? Because that's an off bit of production design.

OMISSION: At the end of the first Mannequin, the cleaning guy finds Roxie (the girl who had been after the lead and jealous of the mannequin) in the trash and kisses here. In this film, the cleaning guy is now the security guy, and he ends up kissing Gayle, the perfume girl (who had been after the lead and jealous of the mannequin), who looks just like Roxie from the first film.

CORRECTION, SORTA: Paul mentions Career Opportunities (a true favorite of mine) as a film about mall department stores. This isn't really true, as it takes place at Target, which, as Long Island kids, we didn't have a frame of reference on.

It's a good thing there wasn't a new DLM today, too, or it might be, like, Wednesday before I listen.

Spoke too soon.

• Like 1