🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 140 - Mannequin Two: On the Move (w/ Steve Agee)

and finally ... this really is a really pervy movie... the perfume seller knew jason for about 2 days, she had never met jessie before and still this conversation happens

howwasit.gif

how was it she asked? who asks that of a complete stranger? perv ... i kinda like her

I missed this post originally but I might have an answer for this moment as well. Gayle liked Jason pretty immediately and he told her he wouldn't even go on a date with her because that was basically moving too fast. Jessie comes up and naively tells her she slept in his bed and Gayle makes this assumption so she's like, "THIS FUCKIN GUY WHAT AN ASSHOLE," and then just out of curiosity asks how the sex was. Cause gosh that could have been her dammit! She even says, "If you don't mind my asking," which is a pretty respectable way of starting that kind of conversation lol.

• Like 1

I looked up the name "Jessie" on some baby name sites because it doesn't seem super Germanic to me. I have a hard time believing some medieval peasant was named Jessie. According to the sites I found, it's of Hebrew origin (the feminine of Jesse). And was most popular in the 1880s. Sadly the baby name records don't go into medieval times. But here is a list of some medieval German names. Francesia is one listed. I know some Francesca's who go by Chessy. It's kind of a stretch but that's the closest I can get.

I LOVED June's rant about how creepy it is that a beautiful, silent, immobile woman is so sexy to men. I heart June. I'm glad she's back.

As I said int he mini-sode thread, this is one of those movies I watched a lot as a kid. I really, really loved Hollywood. He was my favorite. As an adult, I can see how some people might see what he did as a caricature. Or a stereotype. But I think the fact that Meshach Taylor was so loveable is what makes it work. In someone else's hands it would've been cringe-inducing. He was also my favorite on DESIGNING WOMEN. And I am beyond sad that Meshach Taylor has died. I'm also sad at the dearth of animated gifs of him that I have been able to find.

giphy.gif

2e8eae5a_MESHACH-TAYLOR-MANNEQUIN-WURQ-GIF.gif

• Like 5

Spoke too soon.

True, but the guests aren't really exciting, so HDTGM still comes first. If it was, like, a Samm Levine or Geoff Tate episode, things might be different.

• Like 1

I LOVED June's rant about how creepy it is that a beautiful, silent, immobile woman is so sexy to men. I heart June. I'm glad she's back.

Yes!!! I think that was really gonna be my main "this week in feminism" post but honestly June did a beautiful job covering it with that one statement!

• Like 4

I missed this post originally but I might have an answer for this moment as well. Gayle liked Jason pretty immediately and he told her he wouldn't even go on a date with her because that was basically moving too fast. Jessie comes up and naively tells her she slept in his bed and Gayle makes this assumption so she's like, "THIS FUCKIN GUY WHAT AN ASSHOLE," and then just out of curiosity asks how the sex was. Cause gosh that could have been her dammit! She even says, "If you don't mind my asking," which is a pretty respectable way of starting that kind of conversation lol.

Weeeeellll he technically demures by saying he's looking for "true love," not that he moves slowly once he finds Kristy Swanson true love.

• Like 1

When I was in 7th grade I was in a community theater production with Kristy Swanson and she had a quick change between two scenes, and I saw her accidentally pull down her underwear along with her skirt, and I can guarantee you that she has much more of a vagina than Barbie.

• Like 1

Yes!!! I think that was really gonna be my main "this week in feminism" post but honestly June did a beautiful job covering it with that one statement!

tumblr_n4iludRJqz1r2nlkpo5_250.gif

And she's just a Peasant Girl so...

• Like 2

First off, malequin is my new favourite word. Second, June is still too good for this world.

Finally, I don't think that a malequin or a femalequin has genitals. I think the reason why the crew (the guys) think that is because of the projected idealised look of the female pubic region. No hair, smooth etc whereas a malequin in theory should have a bump or something, to demonstrate how pants would actually fit a real man. There's the aesthetic of being hairless that is (apparently) attractive and seemingly "natural" so perhaps that's why they all, save June, thought Femalequin!Jessie had (functioning?) genitals

On the nipple front, I think the reason that femalequins don't have nipples is because it's supposed to simulate what the outfit will look like when a woman is wearing a bra. It makes no sense for regular stores to have femalequins with nipples if they don't sell bras. Most lingerie stores don't have nippled femalequins. It's just a general fear of nipples, many online stores will photoshop out nipples when the model is wearing a sheer bralet.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#FreeTheNipple

...mannnequinistory...

I snorted when I read this. How dare you.

I actually have personal experience working with mannequins in Germantown

I think this is up there with "Massachusetts Windshield Insurance" guy

By the way, the sequel with the male should be Mannequin 3: The Mannequing. (sound it out)

That title just reminds me of Highlander: The Quickening, which sort of connects because in the trilogy there is only one malequin.

I fall in love with June more and more every podcast :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 5

Weeeeellll he technically demures by saying he's looking for "true love," not that he moves slowly once he finds Kristy Swanson true love.

There are so many things I want to say about this comment but I'll just stick to this...

He says something (and I don't have the exact quote) to Gayle like "We're gonna be working together for a while. Why rush it."

• Like 1

There were no dollies in medieval times, so there are no dollies AT Medieval Times. Would you like a refill on your Pepsi?

• Like 2

I haven't watched the movie, or listened to this episode yet (Or read any of the comments yet either.) but I just saw that the guest was Steve Agee.

I used to flirt with that man so hard on twitter before I took a really looooong break from it a few years ago.

coffeeshoppeople_-_flirt.gif

Ok. that's all I wanted to say.

• Like 5

I haven't watched the movie, or listened to this episode yet (Or read any of the comments yet either.) but I just saw that the guest was Steve Agee.

I used to flirt with that man so hard on twitter before I took a really looooong break from it a few years ago.

coffeeshoppeople_-_flirt.gif

Ok. that's all I wanted to say.

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

• Like 7

FFS! ... THERE IS KEN DOLL UNDERWARE ON ETSY ... SWEET MOTHER .. JASON NAILED IT!!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121795322/16th-scale-slim-pink-boxer-briefs-male?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=ken%20doll%20clothes&ref=sr_gallery_19

il_570xN.420778886_1r0h.jpg

and theres even more than that ... this world is hilarious

• Like 2

my favourite June part was when Paul told us about what he thought the ending was going to be, its around the 1:12:05 mark, and it's really creepy. we just hear June say "Paul". it's really low but there is so much disappointment in her voice .. it was perfect ...

• Like 7

There are exactly two things that I remember from the movie "Career Opportunities"...

tumblr_my8oskPz4j1sibtdmo2_400.gif

Okay, Hottest human being ever: Young Jennifer Connelly, or young Diane Lane?

Okay, first time poster here. I know June didn't want us to, but we need to talk about the mole. I have so many questions about that mole.

1. Why does the department store owner keep calling it a wart? Those are two drastically different things, I don't understand how anyone can confuse a mole for a wart (and it's so clearly a mole). Was that just a costuming fail of did Terry Kiser not want to have to wear a fake wart so he asked for a hairy mole instead but they forgot to change the script?

2. Why did no one else react to the mole? Seriously, besides the department store owner, no one bats an eye. I was totally expecting it to come back in for an awesomely cheesy 80s one-liner. How perfect would it have been for Jason to throw a punch at the count and say "I've always loved a good game of whack a mole"?

3. Why didn't the count get the mole removed? Clearly the count was a vain man. He wanted the best clothes, the best jewelry, the best women. Even his henchmen had no redeeming qualities except for sex appeal (they certainly weren't smart, strong, or competent) so the count must have picked them solely because they were attractive. Given all that, you'd think he'd be ashamed of his mole especially since he's planning to live a life of wealth and debauchery in the Bahamas. This can't have been the first time someone has mentioned how disgusting that huge-ass piece of yarn that's been glued to his face looks and he clearly has the wealth (especially after stealing the Crown Jewels of Hauptmann-Koenig) to get the mole removed. Hell, he wouldn't have even had to get the mole removed. The mole itself is small, it's roughly the same size as a beauty mark. It's not misshapen or lumpy. Literally the only problem with it is that huge hair, so why didn't he just trim it off? Do they not have scissors in Hauptmann-Koenig or was he under a curse too?

On an unrelated note, Hauptmann-Koenig translates as Captain-King, which is a really weird thing to name a fictional country. I feel like they should have been able to come up with a more relevant fake kingdom or even a subtle joke of some sort. Does anyone have any ideas why they chose that name?

• Like 2

Thoughts about "Male-equin"

I think we keep with the theme of the mannequin being from the past some how. Mannequin one was from Egypt (why she was white, who knows) and Mannequin 2 was from medieval Germany. So I'm going to suggest Zac Efron gets turned into a mannequin during the Victorian era where he's all dressed up like a dandy. Efron is a real rake (TM Adam Arkin in "Lake Placid") and some witches curse him to be a mannequin until he can learn to respect women.

Kim Catrall and Kristy Swanson work in a department store in Philly with their friend Hollywood's son (Tituss Burgess). They spend the first 1/3rd of the movie talking about how the Efron-mannequin doesn't have a dick and making crude jokes. Jason can write all of these. Catrall jokes if he had a dick he'd be a perfect man, because he's attractive and he shuts the eff up.

Presto-chango, Efron becomes a real boy. But whenever he pisses the girls off, he turns into a mannequin again. Hilarity ensues. Finally Catrall and Swanson realize they want real guys (played by Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas--Steve Agee can have a part only if he tells me about Guardians of the Galaxy 2).

But, in our happy ending, Efron realizes the one he really loves is Tituss Burgess and the two of them float off in a hot air balloon together, dressed in puffy shirts.

• Like 4

There are exactly two things that I remember from the movie "Career Opportunities"...

Real life counterparts or mannequin versions?

Honestly, I don't know what I'm attracted to anymore after thinking about this stuff all day.

Going that far back in my twitter history, I even changed my handle a couple time...

e65.gif

I'll try anyway, though. If I don't make it back, tell Jason I love him.

• Like 7

I really don't want to dive into the "Underage stars that turned/remained/became more attractive". It was weird the first time around

• Like 3

The few I found so far. (I don't know why I covered up my last name, but kept my twitter handle, it's not like you can't look it up on twitter. Just habit I guess.) I don't feel like looking anymore. haha!

post-118181-0-75929500-1468283176_thumb.png

• Like 4

To be fair, the very first thing spoken to her is German. She sneezes, and our hero says "Gesundheit".

That is even MORE ironic as that phrase would not have been used in that context until the plague which would have been about 400 years after she was frozen.

• Like 4

Gosh, this was a great movie and a great episode....this movie was so full of plot holes, it's barely worth contemplating them all. BUT one small thing that surprised me was what good shape she was in after 1,000 years as a hollow wooden mannequin. It seems she was well taken care of as a mannequin/statue, but even still, having no damage at all seems surprising. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I've encountered that was 1,000 years old that wasn't made of stone or ceramic or something more...solid. Though I'm sure it's possible, it would probably require a lot of attention.

Which begs the question, why did they take such good care of her? They could've just destroyed her (or killed her before turning her into a mannequin) and been done with it. Was it just because the sorcerer guy was in love with her and wanted to "save" her for his great-great-great etc. grandson? If so, how and why was she in a museum? Why didn't he just take her and hide her away instead?

Also, I'm surprised they didn't talk about when he made breakfast for her. He literally threw eggs in the air, let them crack in a strainer, and smashed the raw egg through it. This indicates to me that he isn't as ready to leave home as he tells his mom he is...unless I've been making eggs wrong my whole (adult) life.

There are so many things I want to say about this comment but I'll just stick to this...

He says something (and I don't have the exact quote) to Gayle like "We're gonna be working together for a while. Why rush it."

I stand corrected. Sorry! He totally does say that.