🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
giblet.kittensoup

Casablanca - Yeah I Know

Yeah it's like I'd love to hear Devin and Amy talk about it, but there wouldn't be much debate or tension from it.

Putting it as a slam dunk vs slam dunk is a good way to talk about them, if your heart can take it. They're best done infrequently, but I do love them when they arrive.

• Like 1

I love this movie, but I agree. Has to be a Vs. If we're putting Bogie up, we gotta make it hurt.

Casablanca vs. Sabrina. Bring on the pain.

Yep, I'm all for a vs.

But against Gone With The Wind as well as against Sabrina, I feel Casablanca would win in a landslide... I'd rather have it up against something like Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, with Bogie as a possible connecting point.

• Like 3

Versus the Maltese Falcon? I do think people overdue it with the versus suggestions but yeah Casablanca is such a shoe-in that it needs to be a little interesting.

• Like 1

Versus the Maltese Falcon? I do think people overdue it with the versus suggestions but yeah Casablanca is such a shoe-in that it needs to be a little interesting.

Holy shit don't you dare.

That's really too cruel.

Holy shit don't you dare.

That's really too cruel.

I'm not sure... Call me blasphemist, I always thought that The Maltese Falcon aged extremely badly and is a bit overrated, honestly.

I'm not sure... Call me blasphemist, I always thought that The Maltese Falcon aged extremely badly and is a bit overrated, honestly.

O_O

Maybe I'm due a rewatch, but Maltese Falcon is a favorite of mine. One of those things where I've only seen it once and long ago, so you've shaken my faith.

Having said that, your reaction to Falcon was my reaction to two acclaimed Bogart films that come to mind.

Do it as a versus with, say... Gone With the Wind. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I actually don't want a Gone with the Wind episode. I feel like the hosts are only going to talk about the racism, which reminds me of when they talked about Disney princesses. Like, what else is new? Racism in GWTW is such a well-tread topic it becomes a cliche to point it out

O_O

Maybe I'm due a rewatch, but Maltese Falcon is a favorite of mine. One of those things where I've only seen it once and long ago, so you've shaken my faith.

Having said that, your reaction to Falcon was my reaction to two acclaimed Bogart films that come to mind.

Uh, I agree that Bogart's filmography is, albeit iconic, hit-or-miss in terms of the quality of the actual films. The Big Sleep, for example, has got a really convoluted plot and I'd say some structural weaknesses. But then again, I guess the main reason to rewatch it is the chemistry between Bogie and Bacall, and also the fun dialogue.

In some ways, this also tackles the issue of The Maltese Falcon: It has got some interesting aspects, like the way it uses shadow in the frame, and it must have defined some film noir archetypes. But I found the story to be really weird, and some plot points didn't make sense to me at all. Also, I was underwhelmed by the performances. I couldn't idetnify myself at all with any of the characters, or enjoy them, because I found them pretty one-note, and simply not that interesting. To sum it up, I simply haven't had a very good or memorable viewing experience.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this