🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JeffGlover

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985)

This is the "Halloween 3" of the Friday the 13th Series. The story makes no sense and is kickstarted by one of the most what-the-fuck moments of any horror movie. The characters are completely off the wall, the chain of events don't seem to be connected in any way, and the entire premise is extremely bizarre. And the acting...holy shit the acting. You guys really need to consider this for your next horror movie.

To tie it nicely to HDTGM, one of the characters does insult another by calling them a dildo, as Jason is wont to do.

Theres kind of a lot to talk about in this movie, random things like what is the piece of farm equipment at the end, lady flashing herself in the mirror, outhouse duet serenade, and every second momma is on screen.

Its also remarkable how much the main character looks like an older Corey Feldman, its pretty uncanny...perfect casting choice...

Theres a really good iriff rifftrax available for this, which means I've watched this movie an unreasonable amount of times - http://www.rifftrax.com/iriff/hor-riff-ic-friday-the-13th-part-v (they've also done other HDTGM Halloween movies Halloween 3 and Sleepaway Camp.)

This wasn't bad as there were some cool kills, though it was basically creating random characters to murder them seconds later. If you're interested, the Crystal Lake Memories documentary goes into great detail about each movie in the series and reveal that Feldman was supposed to reprise his role for the entire movie rather than a quick cameo, but he was contractually obligated to appear in The Goonies, so his schedule couldn't fit it in. Feldman actually laments not being able to do this movie over The Goonies which might be the most shocking quote in Hollywood history next to "So a Speed sequel without Keanu? Okay I'm in," or "Let's give the Batsuit nipples, the kids will love that!"

• Like 1

This movie where do I begin. How about murder over a candy bar.

Some people really just don't like chocolate.

• Like 1

Is this the one that starts with the military blowing him the fuck up?

I actually like that concept -- of Jason being an monster so powerful that even an army has trouble stopping him. It'd be cool to see a film where a slasher villain is carving his way through hundreds of people, where's he's a real menace to humanity instead of just stalking teenagers. That's what Jason Takes Manhattan should have been.

• Like 1

I actually like that concept -- of Jason being an monster so powerful that even an army has trouble stopping him. It'd be cool to see a film where a slasher villain is carving his way through hundreds of people, where's he's a real menace to humanity instead of just stalking teenagers. That's what Jason Takes Manhattan should have been.

Nppe that was the opening of Jason Goes To Hell. The original script for Jason Takes Manhattan did have him killing hundreds in New York. Until the budget was cut by over half.

To be fair he basically kills an entire graduating class in Manhattan, with one great moment being a teacher rounding up survivors in the dance hall to get ready to escape and then basically saying "fuck them" when the main characters get a chance to escape on a life boat. Yes an actual adult guardian basically lines up teen victims for Jason by placing them all in a single location to slaughter them, and then LEAVES them to their fate.

Also Jason kills MILLIONS in Jason X, by causing a spaceship to crash into a space station, leading it to blow up.

Did you people stare at a neon sign for too long, why are you talking about Jason like he has anything to do with this movie?

If it wasnt for the honor system I'd ban all you loonies, I swear to ya!

Did you people stare at a neon sign for too long, why are you talking about Jason like he has anything to do with this movie?

If it wasnt for the honor system I'd ban all you loonies, I swear to ya!

He's right Jason isn't in this movie at all.

He's right Jason isn't in this movie at all.

He's shown in his grave at the beginning of the movie. And at the end. Sure, they're hallucinations, but he's at least shown a couple times. Oh, and he was buried with his beloved machete in a very, very shallow grave. So there's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvtIj_sPwU&list=PLj1ozEJQ5xAvjYp6p8ARt-fm7IE7yYaE_

He's shown in his grave at the beginning of the movie. And at the end. Sure, they're hallucinations, but he's at least shown a couple times. Oh, and he was buried with his beloved machete in a very, very shallow grave. So there's that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvtIj_sPwU&list=PLj1ozEJQ5xAvjYp6p8ARt-fm7IE7yYaE_

It's a dream. I get it in those shots it's Jason. But that doesn't really count.