🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I don't think Vampire's Kiss is a movie you should go too deeply into as far as story goes. just enjoy it for it's own crazyness that it is.

You know whats funny is Nicolas Cage did the same movie right after Vampire's Kiss called "Time To Kill" and guess what it's almost verbatem the same story arc. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100762/ but this time rather then rabies it's leprosy sorry to spoil it but it's not really a spoller as it happens really early on in the film. it's amost the same Fing film. Too funny. I don't know where you would see Time to Kill as it had gone right to pay tv, when I had seen it on cable channel superchannel here in canada many many moons ago. No Idea if it hit video.

Oh my god, after reading the description I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE

Nick cage is a solder in south Africa who has sex with a woman, more like rapes a woman then has sex with her. but only later after raping this woman he finds out she was part of a leper colony and so good old cage is running around thinking he's got leprosy or does he. LOL. I remember at the time thinking to my self hey this is just the same as vampires kiss, almost. just some odd changes. it's not as good as vampires kiss and I don't recommend you buy this movie right out on video, just to see it. as like i said it was right to pay tv at the time I had seen it.

RIP Spirit Bear thats right Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans has him playing around with lizard's too. I had forgotten about that part of this movie.

I'd love to have a recording of all the actor/director conversations between Werner Herzogg and Nick Cage.

• Like 1

This got a brief mention on the latest mini ep, so maybe a full episode on this batshit insane movie can still happen!

But... this is the thread where it was suggested before! YOU'VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX!

(wait, maybe a mod just merged it... but I prefer my theory...)

Anyway, yes, this movie is fantastic. There was a question earlier in the thread over whether it was intentionally the way it is, but I get the sense that it's Nic Cage and the director (a Brit) just kind of getting in on the tail end of the New York culture of that era, since it has something of a No Wave feel to it. In that light, there's really no way to look at it as something black-and-white knowingly or unknowingly bad, but just a few people messing around and making something as exaggerated as possible. It's not Lynch-esque, but seems to have a similar anti-self-consciousness approach.

Paul Scheer mentioned Vampire's Kiss on today's Who Charted, Howard Kremer said "oooh, I'd love to do that", Paul said they'd have him on. So maybe there's hope! It'd be a great HDTGM.

• Like 1

This has been on my personal bad movie list for a while now, so I'm throwing my considerable influence behind this campaign! I'll have to watch it first though, I like to have seen the movie to get the most out of the podcast

I actually don't think it's a "so bad it's good" movie. I personally think it's a very good movie. Totally insane, but good nonetheless.

• Like 3

You guys...i had a dream that they did this episode, with a return appearance from the amazing Paul F. Tompkins. Favorite dream of all time, and ive had some Sexy dreams (helllloooooo Jon Stewart).

• Like 1

Yeah, just watched it. This movie rules.

It was obviously made in a context of 80s downtown NY cool art film -- I think.... many weirdness seemed somewhat aware choices if not deliberate, even if they were unfocused to some extent. I think it probably also failed on a couple levels for what they "wanted" though.

Cage's committed physicality definitely sells it though, and the vampire drug den shithole is beautiful.

• Like 1

Why hasn't this film been done yet? It should've been the first Nic Cage film to cover (other than maybe The Wicker Man), and I'm a huge Face/Off fan...

• Like 1

Guys I just signed up to say that you MUST do this movie! PLEASE! If you choose not to, no biggie.

• Like 1

Vampire's Kiss isn't an example of a movie that the thought "How did this get made" crawls into my head. If anything, why aren't there more movies like this? Pardon my enthusiasm but this movie is awesome!!!!!! Know how I know that Nic Cage knows the alphabet? I watched Vampire's Kiss!!!!!

• Like 2

My boyfriend and I just watched this last night and it is one of the most psychotic movies we've ever seen. Nicholas Cage is at his Nicholas Cagiest, his tics are so pronounced, he literally chews scenery, and bizarre Philly-surfer-dude accent is the least baffling acting decision he makes. I would do anything to hear June, Jason and Paul discuss this because this movie is the most insane I have ever seen Cage (or any actor for that matter), and that's saying something! I don't know how the makers of this movie didn't see that they could only be making a really terrible black comedy with Cage and his crazy horse-nostrils!

Vampire's Kiss isn't an example of a movie that the thought "How did this get made" crawls into my head. If anything, why aren't there more movies like this? Pardon my enthusiasm but this movie is awesome!!!!!! Know how I know that Nic Cage knows the alphabet? I watched Vampire's Kiss!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24HzD8EWIQo

God, I love this movie..

note: added later, after watching cage clip, watch the clip that comes on

thanks to youtube autoplay. It so reminds me of The Fogelnest Files with Jake Fogelnest. I really miss that postcast.

Just witnessed this amazing work of our Nicholas Cage heritage for the first time. Vampire's Kiss has every-single-fucking-thing you want in a HDTGM movie. EVERYTHING. I can't even stop thinking about it. There were whole scenes i had to rewatch about a dozen times. Just google Vampire's kiss GIFs and count how many of them make you go "WUT?"

giphy.gif

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Vampire's Kiss can only be described as oddly executed and delirious from blood loss. This movie offers some of Nicolas Cage's most enjoyable and upsetting over the top acting next to Deadfall. If you're familiar with the Nicolas Cage Freakout video on YouTube then you're familiar with some of the best moments in the movie, but it has, just so much more to offer. Highly recommend it! 5 stars.