🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 69 - Minnesota State Fair (w/ Cedric Yarbrough, Mark McConville, Colleen Smith, Little Janet Varney)

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all with his impressive vocal range to this week’s episode of Spontaneanation! This week, Paul’s special guest is Cedric Yarbrough of Reno 911! and HBO's Ballers! They chat about how Cedric pronounces "data," getting into a fist fight as an adult, and unusual nicknames for relatives. Paul is then joined by Mark McConville, Colleen Smith, and Little Janet Varney to improvise a story set at the Minnesota State Fair. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

The next live edition of Spontaneanation happens Saturday, August 6 at Largo at The Coronet! Join Paul & Eban as they welcome improvisors Dan Ahdoot, Tim Baltz and Tawny Newsome, and special interview guest Desmin Borges from You’re The Worst! Tickets are on sale now!

• Like 1

As someone with hairy kneecaps I never realized I was a 2nd class citizen to be looked down upon by the likes of PFT. Despite that this was an A+ episode.

• Like 2

The Figurines thing murdered me (commercial below). "Maybe you can trick your fat brain into thinking you are eating cake..."

• Like 9

Paul's made the reference so many times, I'm starting to think he really IS Uatu the Watcher. Or maybe he's Aron the Rogue Watcher and trying to frame Uatu.

• Like 3

Great interview! love how he started answering a much deeper question than was prepared

• Like 1

I'm surprised everyone was so aghast at the idea of eating dry ramen noodles. I feel like when I was a child, they were eaten raw more often than cooked, and they're no rougher on the teeth than chips or pretzels.

Loved the drunk scientist and his rat. And that seed art reference! What a coincidental location!

• Like 1

Is this the earliest in the improv that the guest has even come in?

Because I'm weird, I like to play the episode without looking too closely at the title because I like to be surprised by who the guests are. This morning I had a 4AM shift at work, so I wasn't in the best of moods when I woke up, but on my commute I started listening to the episode.

The moment I heard Little Janet's laugh, I knew today was going to turn out okay after all. :D

• Like 6

I'm surprised everyone was so aghast at the idea of eating dry ramen noodles. I feel like when I was a child, they were eaten raw more often than cooked, and they're no rougher on the teeth than chips or pretzels.

My favorite Kpop group are the spokespeople for Ppushu Ppushu which is dry ramen noodles intentionally sold as snacks, lolz

• Like 1

And that seed art reference! What a coincidental location!

Okay, I just saw the picture with the seed art on the wall during the recording of this episode, and I take back my "coincidental" claim.

I wouldn't just eat a whole package raw, but the little broken off pieces are a nice pre-ramen treat!

Great ep as always. I would encourage everyone to check out the episode title listing on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/spontaneanation/69-minnesota-state-fair-w-cedric-yarbrough-mark-mcconville-colleen-smith-little-janet-varney

Eban playing Fairytale of New York when Paul and Little Janet Varney were reminiscing about the last time they saw each other was perfect

• Like 2

Great interview and my favorite improv so far. The Rat King and the drunk guy were blowing my mind.

Pretty damn hilarious. Cedric doin it up

Fun episode! As with all of the children's lit references, I appreciated the shout-out to NIMH (Rats of).

• Like 2

I just went to the SPONT wiki to check if Little Janet Varney has been on more episodes than anyone else, and it looks like she and Craig Cackowski are tied at 15 episodes each. (There isn't a leaderboard there, but I clicked on all the likely suspects.)

• Like 1

Fun episode! As with all of the children's lit references, I appreciated the shout-out to NIMH (Rats of).

Yes! The NIMH reference killed me. So many great SPONTerrific moments in this one.

• Like 1

As a Minnesotan, I loved this episode. I can't get enough of Little Janet Varney's midwestern accent!

• Like 2

Loved the drunk scientist and his rat. And that seed art reference! What a coincidental location!

Dry ramen was banned at my middle school in the mid-90s because a)they were so prevalent AND people were just mashing them up and confetting the school yard with dried puffed noodles and their accompanying shrimp-flavored salty seasoning

The Prince appearance caused pandemonium within me. So hilarious.

As a Minnesotan, I loved this episode. I can't get enough of Little Janet Varney's midwestern accent!

Yes. The MN State Fair is easily the greatest in the country and one of my favorite places, period.

Sign in to follow this