🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ApertureScience

Film Noir - 40s/50s

Another genre that would be interesting to explore more, in my opinion is film noir. You guys already touched on this briefly in your episode on "Double Indemnity" - which I thoroughly enjoyed, by the way - but there are a lot of really great classics from around the same time, and even decades later that might also be worth discussing.

Some suggestions

- A stand-alone for "The Maltese Falcon" (or if you want, we could go outside of the era and pit it up against something more "modern" such as "Chinatown."

- A vs episode with any of the following - "Gilda", "Laura" "The Big Sleep" or "Out of the Past"

- Perhaps a stand-alone episode for Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil"?

• Like 1

Great idea. I'd love to see any and all of those discussed. I'd add Sweet Smell of Success to the consideration as well.

Kiss Me Deadly is probably an indulgence noir pick, but I still love it.

If we're strictly limiting ourselves to the classic period, I'd actually love to see a smaller less seen gem like Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour be brought up for consideration.

Also, obvious contenders and shoe-ins like Sunset Boulevard, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Orson Welles' The Lady from Shanghai, Out of the Past. I mean, this is one of the best "genres", "movements", or "periods" in Film--- period.

It would be interesting to put a classic of Film noir, against a classic of Neo noir, and see how the vote goes. But I'd honestly rather a straight up one film episode.

I would have a hard time voting for any neo-noir when pitted against a classic noir. Would like an episode on Sunset Blvd or the Third Man. As for neo-noir, Chinatown vs. LA Confidential, perhaps? I feel that might cut across generational lines a bit.

Sign in to follow this