🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Head Spin

Vietnam Movie Showdown

This one's too crazy to do, but I'll post it anyways.

In a vacuum I would have loved to see Apocalpyse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket compete for the best Vietnam War film. That sounds super impossible, or at least reliant on some kind of two-part bracketed system.

But Apocalpyse Now already made it into the Canon. It probably would have won anyways among the four, and three movies is a slightly more manageable number.

So in my wildest dreams, and it'd take a plus-sized episode, I'd love to see The Deer Hunter vs. Platoon vs. Full Metal Jacket in a War Is Hell Three-Way Intractable Jungle Conflict Match.

At the least I'm curious which of the three or four people think is the best in the comments.

I'm almost certain Platoon would win, but I also thought that American Beauty was a shoo-in, so what do I know?

Haven't seen The Deer Hunter but between Platoon and Full Metal Jacket I'd probably give the sight edge to FMJ

To tip my hand, I've never really understood the appeal of FMJ past the basic training. The Vietnam stuff has some beautiful shots, and Adam Baldwin's fun, but it feels muddled once they get to the war.

Deer Hunter I feel similarly; all the stuff in Pennsylvania I like, but most of the stuff that happens in Vietnam feels kind of over-the-top silly, especially when DeNiro goes back for Walken. Tough to take seriously despite some solid dramtic stuff.

I love Platoon, though. I wonder if it's Canon-worthy, but there's a simplicity to the characters and their relationships that make the story much more powerful to me.

But the 2 parts are exactly what I love about TDH and FMJ. Seeing how war changes a person is what makes the arc of the movie. It's just that it's much more sudden than in most films.

• Like 1

One could argue that Platoon is the American Beauty of Vietnam films.

My feelings exactly. I was never really a Platoon guy. The Deer Hunter is fine, I'd say it has got some of the best scenes of all three films. But in between these couple of great set pieces, you've got to endure a looooooot of really slow 70s filmmaking, and the politics are hard to swallow.

I think, of all three, this one expresses the dichotomy of the two lives a soldier has to endure the best: one at home, one at war. I for one like the second half even a bit better, because there you see some truely human stuff going down. Also, it shows that all that drill is pretty pointless in the end, and if you remember (SPOILERS!) the sniper in the end was female, it really makes you think about which side was of that war was truely more liberal.

I love Platoon, though. I wonder if it's Canon-worthy,

^Four academy awards, including best picture. I would def say Platoon is canon-worthy.

Jeez a Vs would be a tough one. Platoon is a masterpiece. But Full Metal Jacket is one crazy ride and has that unforgettable scene in the bathroom. Don't make me choose. lol

Sign in to follow this