🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 141 - The Shadow: LIVE! (w/ Pete Davidson)

I think I will, actually. I don't feel like they'll do it (even though I'm on the YAY side of that) but I'm curious to see how much they beat this dead horse.

• Like 1

Y'all gonna watch Sharknado 4 this weekend JIC?

(I have been super busy working on a project at work)

all depends on what paul says when the mini drops ... i was trying to work out the line up for the show. paul said the break will be about 2 months and the now hear this podcast festival is at the end of october. that would be a good way to come back after the break.

so in my head this is how it looks: they have the phantom in the bag and probably 2 eps for the howdies so if they do sharknado 4 thats 4 epsodes left before the break. (mini .. sharknado 4 ... mini .. the phantom ... mini ... howdies part 1 ... howdies part 2). that takes us to early september. but i'm probably completely wrong so i just wasted everyones time.

but thinking about it ... yeah i'll probably watch sharknado anyways ... mindless fun for a couple of hours

• Like 2

all depends on what paul says when the mini drops ... i was trying to work out the line up for the show. paul said the break will be about 2 months and the now hear this podcast festival is at the end of october. that would be a good way to come back after the break.

so in my head this is how it looks: they have the phantom in the bag and probably 2 eps for the howdies so if they do sharknado 4 thats 4 epsodes left before the break. (mini .. sharknado 4 ... mini .. the phantom ... mini ... howdies part 1 ... howdies part 2). that takes us to early september. but i'm probably completely wrong so i just wasted everyones time.

but thinking about it ... yeah i'll probably watch sharknado anyways ... mindless fun for a couple of hours

That's exactly what my mindset was too. And depending on when June has the baby the minis could very well be back to the days when Paul recorded them in their bathroom.

• Like 2

I think I will, actually. I don't feel like they'll do it (even though I'm on the YAY side of that) but I'm curious to see how much they beat this dead horse.

I think they can and will push it pretty far. They churn out a ton of terrible low budget monster/disaster movies, they essentially have to do worse than something like 3-Headed Shark, or whatever movie they do that is a similar concept to Sharknado, but without any of the buzz.

I think they can and will push it pretty far. They churn out a ton of terrible low budget monster/disaster movies, they essentially have to do worse than something like 3-Headed Shark, or whatever movie they do that is a similar concept to Sharknado, but without any of the buzz.

They'll always churn out this shit. I'm more curious about the actual Sharknado horse, though, cause there's no way it survives after this one.

Since I was given the Syfy lineup of new shark movies for this week to find the posters I can tell you what concepts they're going with.

Dam Sharks - A number of bloodthirsty, unusual sharks build dams with human bodies.

Ice Sharks - A research base in the Arctic is attacked by sharks that can smash their way through ice.

Ozark Sharks - A Family goes on a vacation to the Ozarks, but the trips turns upside-down when bull sharks somehow infiltrate the freshwater lakes of Arkansas and wreak havoc during the fireworks festival.

Planet of the Sharks - In the near future, glacial melting has caused water to submerge 98% of land, causing an environment where sharks have dominated the planet led by a mutated alpha shark.

Also y'all don't forget to look out for the anticipated sequel starring the Gutes - 2 Lava 2 Lantula!!!

• Like 4

I would be very curious to see the financials on The Asylum.

What I am trying to say is that for them to keep making Sharknado movies, they just have to be at least as popular as the other stuff that they churn out and that is probably a very low bar. Even if Sharknado 4 has half of the audience of S3, and S5 has half of the audience of S4, if they're above Dam/Ice/etc Sharks (and they keep the budget low) then they will still probably make a Sharknado 6.

• Like 1

I would be very curious to see the financials on The Asylum.

What I am trying to say is that for them to keep making Sharknado movies, they just have to be at least as popular as the other stuff that they churn out and that is probably a very low bar. Even if Sharknado 4 has half of the audience of S3, and S5 has half of the audience of S4, if they're above Dam/Ice/etc Sharks (and they keep the budget low) then they will still probably make a Sharknado 6.

From what I've heard, a lot of their revenue comes from the soundalike series. Where they make shitty movies with similar sounding names to blockbusters, and put them on the on demand.

So, they'll have "The Terminators", "Transmorphers", "Atlantic Rim". "Battle of Los Angeles", "11/11/11", and they pretty much conned people into thinking that they were some way connected to the big blockbusters, so they get it from on demand for a few dollars

On demand was not the original venue. The whole fake-blockbuster thing started... at Blockbuster. Yes, that Blockbuster:

the Asylum discovered mockbusters by accident, in 2005, when Latt’s own adaptation of H. G. Wells’s “War of the Worlds” hit video stores around the time Steven Spielberg’s big-screen version hit cinemas. Until then, the Asylum concentrated mainly on straight-to-DVD low-budget horror movies — a market that was rapidly being taken over by bigger, savvier companies like Lionsgate. So when Blockbuster ordered 100,000 copies of Latt’s “War of the Worlds” (seven to eight times the typical order for the Asylum’s horror movies), he and Rimawi reconsidered their business model.

That's a good point, I know a few people that got fooled into watching Transmorphers. Although, I would be surprised to find out that the Sharknados aren't their most profitable enterprises (and I always wonder why Sharknado over any of the others? Catchy title I guess.) given the tie-ins and merchandising.

Still, the Sharknado episodes always make me wish that I smoked pot. I think I would enjoy the Sharknados a lot more stoned.

• Like 1

Still, the Sharknado episodes always make me wish that I smoked pot. I think I would enjoy the Sharknados a lot more stoned.

I was for the 2nd one. It didn't help.

• Like 3

The bartender said that it's a good game despite its source movie being "stinky". And that the place's Spider-Man 3 pinball may be retired soon because it's one of the least popular machines.

Did this movie remind anybody else of that episode of South Park where Alec Baldwin signed up to that social media network that just broadcast his thoughts?

I know the mini hasn't dropped yet but I watched THE PHANTOM anyway. Catherine Zeta-Jones looks great. How come she's not in stuff anymore? I thought Michael Douglas' cancer was better now?

tumblr_o85xswydPg1qdhps7o1_r2_500.gif

• Like 4

Catherine Zeta-Jones looks great. How come she's not in stuff anymore?

She's 46. As Jason puts it, gross. Won't see.

All joking a salad, I was watching "Criminal Minds" earlier and Cybill Shepherd was in it. She was onscreen for all of 5 minutes, but she dominated it. One small movement of her face evoked so many things. I wish she's in more things.

• Like 3

I know the mini hasn't dropped yet but I watched THE PHANTOM anyway. Catherine Zeta-Jones looks great. How come she's not in stuff anymore? I thought Michael Douglas' cancer was better now?

tumblr_o85xswydPg1qdhps7o1_r2_500.gif

I'm halfway through and all I want is a movie about Kristy Swanson and Catharine Zeta's obvious perfect sexual tension.

• Like 3

i guess this means my guess at the timeline is now a week shorter....

Sorry guys, not according to Twitter...

Although, personally, I am very relieved they aren't doing it

• Like 1

I'm halfway through and all I want is a movie about Kristy Swanson and Catharine Zeta's obvious perfect sexual tension.

I was pleasantly surprised by the two of them. They are both more capable female heroines than in many of the more recent superhero movies. (I'm looking at you, Spiderman.) And they flew off into the sunset together. Kristy Swanson was like, "I'm supposed to marry you now and let my kid become of the Phantom? No thanx bai!"

• Like 3

I have also just finished watching The Phantom and would someone please explain to me, of all the terrible movies in the world, why we're doing this one? I thought it was pretty fucking rad. Kind of how I would expect a movie in the 90's about a Pulp Comic hero from the 30's should be. Am I missing something?

Oh, and the answer can't be "Because he looks like he's wrapped in a giant purple condom" that's way too easy.

be37e91751e2de2d5c653f697931eded.jpg

I get that they're doing it as a companion piece to The Shadow. But I agree there are far too many terrible movies to be covering to focus on this which was just a silly and fun summer popcorn movie. Or even great movies that have a bit more talk about i.e bad lieutenant.

• Like 1

It's really weird how much pop culture has turned around on silly movies about guys in tights punching crime!

• Like 2