🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Philly Cheesesteak

The Harry Potter Films, or at least Prisoner of Azkaban

I was never interested in Harry Potter; even if Azkaban is a good movie, I still need several other books or films worth of background to get it. I don't like massive franchises for this reason, the investment they ask of the viewer. Fortunately, this YA fiction trilogy->obligatory film quadrilogy thing seems to have busted post-Hunger Games.

God, I hope so.

God, I hope so.

Same here. No interest in any of these. The first couple Potter films were better than I expected but I lost interest trying to get through Prisoner of Azkaban. Doing a YA versus is bullshit. We should be able to vote against these.

The fundamental question here is whether we'd be voting a book series, a film series, or a multi-media series into the Canon of Film. The YA book -> movie phenomenon was definitely due to these book-films, but is that a testament to the power of the books or the films? Is the fact that they worked when many, many since have not a testament to JK Rowling's craft or of scribe Steve Kloves and the team of directors? The book releases were arguably bigger events than the film releases.

The fundamental question here is whether we'd be voting a book series, a film series, or a multi-media series into the Canon of Film. The YA book -> movie phenomenon was definitely due to these book-films, but is that a testament to the power of the books or the films? Is the fact that they worked when many, many since have not a testament to JK Rowling's craft or of scribe Steve Kloves and the team of directors? The book releases were arguably bigger events than the film releases.

I think there are several interesting points here.

- First is the idea of whether we'd be voting a whole series in. Speaking solely for myself, I'd really hate the idea that I'm being made to look at 8 movies that are all over 2.5 hours long as a single entry into the Canon. I think all of the HP movies are utter garbage, but even within a series I love (like the Godfather episode with Karina Longworth), each film's admittance should be judged on its own merits. There's precedent for this with the Star Wars vs. Empire discussions, and doing Temple of Doom as its own entry as opposed to doing a general "Indiana Jones series" episode.

- I think the phenomenon you're describing is solely because of the power of the books and not the film. From the very beginning, the films felt like cash grabs because of this phenomenon. The freakout over the Hunger Games books was like a tiny blip on the radar compared to the massive excitement from both kids and adults about Harry Potter.

My biggest issue with these movies is that they feel like someone describing a summary of each of the books without the weight or emotions that made them so fun to read. Things happen in the movies only because "that's what happened in the books," not because of any cinematically established character traits or themes. These were made because "hey, people like to see magic" rather than they needed to tell this wonderful story in this massive way.

In my opinion (I realize I'm speaking harshly, not trying to be rude to anyone who truly loves these movies), this series' biggest contribution to Hollywood was the idea of splitting the last book of a beloved series into two payday...excuse me, I mean, movies. For that alone I would deny its entry because while it's technically a good business model for the film studios, it really bums me out as a movie fan to just so blatantly feel like I'm being shaken down for my money while entering a theater & deciding whether or not to devote my time to a film series.

I think there are several interesting points here.

- First is the idea of whether we'd be voting a whole series in. Speaking solely for myself, I'd really hate the idea that I'm being made to look at 8 movies that are all over 2.5 hours long as a single entry into the Canon. I think all of the HP movies are utter garbage, but even within a series I love (like the Godfather episode with Karina Longworth), each film's admittance should be judged on its own merits. There's precedent for this with the Star Wars vs. Empire discussions, and doing Temple of Doom as its own entry as opposed to doing a general "Indiana Jones series" episode.

- I think the phenomenon you're describing is solely because of the power of the books and not the film. From the very beginning, the films felt like cash grabs because of this phenomenon. The freakout over the Hunger Games books was like a tiny blip on the radar compared to the massive excitement from both kids and adults about Harry Potter.

My biggest issue with these movies is that they feel like someone describing a summary of each of the books without the weight or emotions that made them so fun to read. Things happen in the movies only because "that's what happened in the books," not because of any cinematically established character traits or themes. These were made because "hey, people like to see magic" rather than they needed to tell this wonderful story in this massive way.

In my opinion (I realize I'm speaking harshly, not trying to be rude to anyone who truly loves these movies), this series' biggest contribution to Hollywood was the idea of splitting the last book of a beloved series into two payday...excuse me, I mean, movies. For that alone I would deny its entry because while it's technically a good business model for the film studios, it really bums me out as a movie fan to just so blatantly feel like I'm being shaken down for my money while entering a theater & deciding whether or not to devote my time to a film series.

Nah, I don't think you're being rude. S'all good, your points are valid.

Martinmaidrite, I feel the same way about the Watchmen movie. I loved the GN but it's attempt to follow it made for a terrible movie. I'm only glad they changed the ending.

Sign in to follow this