đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
AbeFroman

The Relic (1997)

Tom Sizemore vs. an ancient man/lizard/sabertooth hybrid from the Amazon in the Chicago Musuem of History. Oh, this ancient creature also feeds on the hypothalamus in human brains.

Currently on Netflix and has the distinction of being the darkest film ever.

Darkest as in there is little to no lighting in the film whatsoever. I struggled to make out what was happening on the screen 90% of the time.

Redeemed by the ray of sunshine that is Penolope Ann Miller.

It's a fantastic film. It was based on the book "Relic," by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, unread by me, but the book spawned a whole series of books about one of its characters (the character was melded with others into Tom Sizemore's character).

I always get it confused with the, superior, Mimic by del Toro, for some reason.

Good pick.

Hyams has some great stuff on his resume (Outland, 2010, Running Scared,  his stuff with Van Damme) but some hot garbage as well (End of Days, Sounds of Thunder, Stay Tuned?!!) .   His films are rarely dull though. 

His films are always so dark. He did The Musketeer starring a pre-Greys Anatomy Justin Chambers as d'Artagnan and his angle was to use Hong Kong style fight choreography shot in natural light but being pre-industrial everything is lit by candlelight or a torch. It's unwatchable.

Sign in to follow this