🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AbeFroman

The Warriors (1979)

I do... but I don't think it's Canon worthy. When you think about it, it's like two-thirds of a good movie and one-third padding and needless romantic subplots. It deserves its status as a cult classic, but I don't think there's enough polish to give it the Canon treatment.

I want to do this movie, but I need to make sure the theatrical cut is available to stream first.

I think it deserves a discussion. Haven't seen it in years. I was just thinking about this the other day while visiting NYC and really wishing I had the time to retrace their trip home from the Bronx to Coney Island. There are a ton more obviously Canon-worthy films about NYC, but this is the only one on my mind while traveling through the city.

I want to do this movie, but I need to make sure the theatrical cut is available to stream first.

You mean, instead of the bluray that added the comic book frames? I'm pretty sure the version on Netflix does not have those -- it's listed at 92 minutes, which is the length of the theatrical cut.

I think it deserves a discussion. Haven't seen it in years. I was just thinking about this the other day while visiting NYC and really wishing I had the time to retrace their trip home from the Bronx to Coney Island. There are a ton more obviously Canon-worthy films about NYC, but this is the only one on my mind while traveling through the city.

What about Taxi Driver?

What about Taxi Driver?

Taxi Driver doesn't feel like it's about NY in the way The Warriors does, where the city is practically a character of its own. In Taxi Driver, it's just where the movie takes place.

Worthy of discussion because:

Huge influence on hip hop culture.

Excellent action set pieces like the bathroom scene and the Baseball Furies.

A realistic yet surreal late 70s NYC setting.

Cyrus's speech

The Canon needs to tackle 1 Walter Hill film.

Two words: James Remar

Taxi Driver doesn't feel like it's about NY in the way The Warriors does, where the city is practically a character of its own. In Taxi Driver, it's just where the movie takes place.

I really have to disagree there. New York City, as envisioned by Scorsese, perfectly encapsulates Travis Bickle's diseased state of mind. It evokes his sense of imprisonment, his alienation, his isolation and feeds into his mistrust, paranoia and misanthropy. It's a reflection of his broken soul.

The Warriors' vision of New York is that of antiquity transplanted to the modern day, with all the street gangs serving as microcosms to ancient warrior nations. It's also a land fraught with adventure, infused with youthful rebellious energy.

Taxi Driver's New York is a place that suffocates, imprisons and drives people to despair and discontentment. It's a New York for bitter adults who have failed in their lives, like Travis.

They're both valid characterizations of the city, but Travis Bickle's New York--as it was in the 70's--is a little more true to form by comparison. The Warriors' New York, as mentioned, is based on a novel that was written decades prior that was in itself based on the Anabasis. That New York is the Bronze Age hiding in the cloak of youthful modernity. It's more fanciful than Bickle's seedier, noir-inspired, economically poisoned well of a town.

I agree that a different version of 70's New York plays a huge part in each movie. But I only took the subway while visiting and didn't take a taxi anywhere.

Sign in to follow this