๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
frankcappello

Episode 31 โ€” Dragon Boy Suede and Oates

Weโ€™re back for another week on Who Charted? and this week we have a guest who has just recently topped the charts as one half of Garfunkel & Oates: Kate Micucci! Kate tries her hand at Chart Roulette and discusses the movie chart in addition to helping us through our first ever college radio chart. What more could you want from the sweetest girl in all of comedy? Maybe a bonus cable television ratings chart? Well, since you asked so nicely, you can find that online at Earwolf.com where you can also submit your entries in the I Heal With My Steel video contest!

FYI: It's not possible to stream the episode on the Earwolf page. The 'Download mp3' link is working though.

I was able to stream it, but it took a minute or so to start up.

You guys really don't know about Sonic Youth?

Just like Howard didn't get "my coochie" Micucci, I just got that "Who Charted" was a play on "who farted," after 30 episodes. It never occurred to me that a comedy show about charts would have a pun in the title. It also helps that Howard never talks about farts. I honestly would not have figured it out on my own.

Michael, I know Sonic Youth! I got caught up in playing with Howard per usual.

Old people be confused about old college rock bands...

I met Kate MIccuci once a few years ago. It was maybe a day or two after seeing her at the Tomorrow show and I told her how great she was, and then let her go about her business at WaMu because I was almost certain I frightened her. It was like approaching an adorable woodland creature who plays catchy ukulele songs about other woodland creatures.

Kate Miccuci is utterly adorable. There just has to be some horrible dark side she keeps hidden from the public right? Maybe it'll come out some day in Garfunkel and Oates behind the music.

Howard - "What can be said about you, Kate?"

Made me laugh more than anything else in the podcast. I don't know why...

Imagine my delight...I just bought tickets to Tig Notaro's show at Helium 20 minutes before starting up this WC?, and Helium has yet to acknowledge Micucci as the opening act. (Sorry, Howard...it seems that your show's title encourages intestinal humor no matter how sliced.) So, I hope that's all squared away. Helps make up for the newly-announced Raincoats tour skipping over us from NYC to DC (to play a pizza joint, but what punk band can not play DC) (and what DC pizzaria can get by on just their pizza?).

I think Nellie McKay (no, not Ian nor Alec MacKaye, though surely Ukegazi/Ukebrace is on the horizon) has the intermittently angsty uke role all locked up, though some of the G&O songs do indeed Hint at Darker Things. Albeit charmingly and disarmingly cheerfully. (Uku Threat.) Maybe Zee Avi (aka KokoKaina), she of "Bitter Heart," holds the middle ground.

For the ukulele virtuoso, I think you were thinking of Jake Shimabukuro...fwiw a Japanese rather than Hawaiian surname. But it's been a while since anyone has come to everyday-reference (at least in the contiguous 48) ukulele-playing in the manner of Tiny Tim or Arthur Godfrey. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or some years back Moe Keale might occur to some Mainlanders. (Young people like Ms. Micucci be messing up the old college-rockers/pop-punks, Michael...the bearded old [enough] folks are counting the ukulele players.)

Great episode. Can't wait for Have A Summah Fest. I sure hope Kulap gets in that bouncy house.

Winna, winna, chicken dinnaaa!

Side note: As a long time college radio DJ, our station (and most any college stations that gets label promos) always submitted our charts to CMJ. Dusted Magazine is great, but their list of stations is somewhat small and hand-picked according to their tastes. And while their taste is no doubt very good (one of my former college radio colleagues is a reviewer there), for a more accurate or broad look at American college stations/charts, CMJ has a lot more stations to build their charts from:
http://www.cmj.com

Probably mostly the same stuff on both, but you might try CMJ if you revisit college charts (it was a nice break from all the pop stuff). See ya next week!

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who noticed the sexual tension between Howard and Kate. I hope you got to blast that Howard.

When will we hear some songs from Suede and Oates or OATES and Suede, or Suede + Oates.

Overall a good show, but something bugs me about Kate. I know I'm in the minority, and I can't put my finger on it cause I do like her work. Her songs and her drawings are good...

Anyway, now that I've bashed your choice in guests, I have a suggestion. When there are guests on with musical talent, yall should let that there guest play. At least one song. I woulda loved to hear Kate and Howard jam together.

I listened to this episode while lounging in a jacuzzi and chewing my summah gum. It was a joy.

Sign in to follow this