🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 141.5 - Minisode 141.5

Tips on public speaking, how to know if someone is hitting on you, and purple tights are all covered in today's minisode. We also hear a new tidbit of information about the knife in The Shadow from Blake Harris' interview with the film's director Russell Mulcahy. Plus, Corrections and Omissions for The Shadow! Send your own voicemail explanation hopes for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK. If you want to check out the full Blake Harris' interview with director Russell Mulcahy go over to www.slashfilm.com.

Come see How Did This Get Made LIVE in Anaheim as part of the Now Hear This Podcast Festival. Get tickets here: http://nowhearthisfest.com/

WATCH Filthy Preppy Teen$ on the FullScreen App today! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason and June in Lady Dynamite on Netflix! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

I still cant believe they did a Russell Mulcahy movie and didnt start with Ricochet, which I can guarentee with a certainty they would have had a better time watching than The Shadow.

• Like 2

Yeah, Ricochet is fantastic. Not as fantastic as Virtuosity, though, when we're talking insane 90's Denzel thrillers.

Now that would've been a double bill. Not a fan of The Shadow/Phantom at all.

• Like 1

Ooh, parts of my post were read on the DNC edition of the minisode. And Paul pronounced my name correctly.

Re: Reason why there is no opium trade in Tibet (and Mongolia). I neglected to add inaccessibility, sparse populations, and limited arable lands. I think those factors, even more so than religion, were what prevented those countries from being producers and/or consumers of opium.

I love Paul's public speaking advice: Flank yourself with two big German Shepherds.

• Like 2

I mean, I'd you're doing The Shadow and The Phantom, you've got to fill out the trilogy with The Spirit. That's bonkers to an insane degree.

• Like 4

I think if a girl touches you, she is into you. Because I am like -reverse-Rogue from the X-Men and try to avoid touching people at all times lest they steal my life energy.

Also can I correction/omission the minisode? Paul said the Phantom is an African hero. He lives in Africa in the strip but he seems to be in some vague Asian place in the movie. I only know this because there are zero black people. I tried to find one but failed.

"The Shadow" makes a lot more sense after hearing the director slur his words like that.

giphy.gif

SURPRISE PIRATES!

• Like 4

Depending on the person, touching, flirting and liking can be unrelated to each other.

• Like 3

Also can I correction/omission the minisode? Paul said the Phantom is an African hero. He lives in Africa in the strip but he seems to be in some vague Asian place in the movie. I only know this because there are zero black people. I tried to find one but failed.

According to IMDB he is a descendant of a line of African superheroes. At the beginning the little boy is taken in by an indigenous tribe that could be on any island, but IMDB seems stuck that it's an African island.

Although, apparently they did film in Thailand and Australia...

tumblr_inline_o547w5FbKr1t0h6ke_500.gif

• Like 3

According to IMDB he is a descendant of a line of African superheroes. At the beginning the little boy is taken in by an indigenous tribe that could be on any island, but IMDB seems stuck that it's an African island.

• Like 5

No disrespect to the caller, but I was kind of thrown for a loop that grown man was actually asking whether or not someone "liked" him and I'm kind of glad that Paul called it out as "12 year old bullshit." The best advice I can give is to just ask them out on a real low stakes type outing (e.g. coffee or "stalk them to their car"). If the person says "yes," then they at least like you enough to not be repelled by the very idea of spending 30 mins with you drinking coffee. Again, this doesn't mean that they're "into" you, it just means they aren't disgusted by the mere thought of you. No one can "like" anyone unless they've actually spent time together getting to know each other as people. He seems to be confusing mild interest with something more.

I'm always weary of questions like this since it always comes off like "nice guy" validation. You know, the idea of "she's not into me because I'm a nice guy" why doesn't she "like nice guys." But are you a "nice guy?" If you're only being nice to her to get into her pants, then you're not really being nice, are you? Also, since I'm on the topic, I have a little free advice. Being "nice" isn't enough, people! Being "nice" should be everyone's baseline all the time. If all you are is "nice," then you don't have a whole lot to offer do you? Be nice, yes, but also be interesting. You have to bring something else to the table.

• Like 4

Omg okay I'm sorry for the multiple posts but I am terribly bored at work today and need a damn distraction.

I can't believe that I forgot to mention this in the Shadow thread but every time "what evil lurks in the hearts of men" was mentioned I immediately pictured a Mr. PFT and a Ms. Paget Brewster. Every. Time.

0fd482daa27c8a7423b3fa68e68086da.jpg

• Like 2

Easily the worst dating advice I've heard recently. Paul was saying everything I hated about the game. "Just ask for coffee, it's so low stakes" Sure it is, now I don't know if you're actually interested in me or this was super easy for you and there's no commitment. I do appreciate that every time Paul gave some advice, he immediately realized that "No, that's actually not a good thing to do." I like to see that people everywhere understand how bizarre dating "advice" is. We're all afraid of putting ourselves out there, in case we get rejected, but wishy-washy nonsense literally gets nobody nowhere.

I met my partner at a Christmas party. We got super drunk and somehow decided to leave together at 3:45 am. He tells me as we were figuring out who's place to go to, I said something along the lines of "Are you too drunk to do this?"

Been together ever since but I wouldn't recommend people to try out what worked for me.

Oh dear. A racial injustice twofer! Even though the 2 things concern different aspects of racism.

The 15th season of L&O: SUP is on Netflix. Yes! I'm going to check out that Shepherd episode after I've finished my yearly viewing of Criminal Minds (what a sad habit to have). I haven't been watching the show since Meloni left. I see I've missed a few guest stars, including JEREMY IRONS WHAT.

Watching Law and Order has kinda been ruined for me since going to law school. All I see is police coercion in confessions and super shady detective work. I really have to turn my brain off. I prefer Law and Order:Plain because the trial stuff at least engages in legal ethics.

I do the Criminal Minds thing too but I usually speed through the Gideon episodes tbh. Early Spencer Reid hair and wardrobe makes me cringe. I only want to cringe at gore not clothes.

No disrespect to the caller, but I was kind of thrown for a loop that grown man was actually asking whether or not someone "liked" him and I'm kind of glad that Paul called it out as "12 year old bullshit." The best advice I can give is to just ask them out on a real low stakes type outing (e.g. coffee or "stalk them to their car"). If the person says "yes," then they at least like you enough to not be repelled by the very idea of spending 30 mins with you drinking coffee. Again, this doesn't mean that they're "into" you, it just means they aren't disgusted by the mere thought of you. No one can "like" anyone unless they've actually spent time together getting to know each other as people. He seems to be confusing mild interest with something more.

I thought Paul was saying that his tips were 12 years old because he's been with June that long, not that asking for this kind of advice was something a 12 year old would do.

I do sincerely hope that it was both.

• Like 5

Easily the worst dating advice I've heard recently. Paul was saying everything I hated about the game. "Just ask for coffee, it's so low stakes" Sure it is, now I don't know if you're actually interested in me or this was super easy for you and there's no commitment. I do appreciate that every time Paul gave some advice, he immediately realized that "No, that's actually not a good thing to do." I like to see that people everywhere understand how bizarre dating "advice" is. We're all afraid of putting ourselves out there, in case we get rejected, but wishy-washy nonsense literally gets nobody nowhere.

I met my partner at a Christmas party. We got super drunk and somehow decided to leave together at 3:45 am. He tells me as we were figuring out who's place to go to, I said something along the lines of "Are you too drunk to do this?"

Been together ever since but I wouldn't recommend people to try out what worked for me.

As I said before, I'm on the "ask for coffee/low stakes" end of things, but I just want to clarify as to why. I say "low stakes" not in a "this doesn't mean anything kind of way," but because it helps put the ask-ee at ease. If you don't really know each other that well, coming in too hot and asking them out to a super romantic dinner or elaborate date is going to probably put them on the defensive. For example, "Why do you want to do all that when all you know about me is that you think I look hot in my Wal-Mart smock?" Instead, you go for coffee or whatever. You talk. Get to know each other a little bit, and if it seems right to both people, then you can follow that up with something a bit bigger. If the ask-ee still isn't comfortable with that, you can maybe try to set up a couple more smaller meet ups. If they still aren't interested, no big deal.

The thing is, you can literally ask anyone out to coffee. The worst thing they can say is "no," and at least then you have your answer and you're not forced into a situation where you feel the need to call in to a comedian's podcast to ask him whether or not this person likes you. Have some Goddamn confidence! It will take you a lot further.

But I agree with you, the best relationships I've been in always occurred when they just evolved naturally and weren't forced. Shit, I never even asked my wife out. She had a paper due and her computer wasn't working. I offered to let her come to my place and use mine and that was pretty much it. She officially moved in a few days later and we've been together ever since. You and I have special circumstances though. My advice is strictly for the people out there trying to make something happen. :)

My other bit of advice (and kind of ties into my "be interesting" thing I said above) is this: do stuff you like to do. Don't expect to find a love connection at the Buffalo Wild Wings down the street--especially if you don't particularly like wings or sports. If you like Art, go to museums. If you like music, go to shows. If you like wrestling robotic bulls on a zesty bed of guacamole--by God, you fucking DO THAT! If you just do the things you like to do anyway, you're not only enriching your own life and gaining experience, you're far more likely to meet someone who shares your same interests.

At least, that's my take on the matter...

Youre-welcome_zps3737cc66.gif#you%27re%20welcome%20200x124

• Like 4

just watched it ... not the worst way to spend a hoilday monday. a hell of alot more fun than the goddamn shadow ... and i didnt have to spend 99% of the movie trying to figure out what happened in the first 1% of it .. wow, i guess i'm still angry over that stupid movie

• Like 1

So serious question, has Billy Zane had a stroke or really bad plastic surgery? Because I saw him recently in Zoolander 2 and he looks nothing like he did from even the first Zoolander. Either way I feel bad for him.

But I agree with you, the best relationships I've been in always occurred when they just evolved naturally and weren't forced. Shit, I never even asked my wife out. She had a paper due and her computer wasn't working. I offered to let her come to my place and use mine and that was pretty much it. She officially moved in a few days later and we've been together ever since. You and I have special circumstances though. My advice is strictly for the people out there trying to make something happen. :)

That's amazing. Our first date, we both showed up 30 mins early but within minutes of each other and were sat on opposite sides of the restaurant by different servers. We sat there and drank alone for 40 minutes until the bartender figured it out.

• Like 3

So you were being a nice guy ;)

• Like 4

So serious question, has Billy Zane had a stroke or really bad plastic surgery? Because I saw him recently in Zoolander 2 and he looks nothing like he did from even the first Zoolander. Either way I feel bad for him.

I don't think so. He looks fine to me. His looks were the least of Zoolander 2's problems.