🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 141.5 - Minisode 141.5

So was The Phantom not doing well at the box office the reason Billy Zane was relegated to being a character actor? This came out a year after he starred in Demon Knight which also tanked, and I just wonder because Zane is actually really good in this along with Treat Williams, who also fell into character actor territory. If he had decided to do a superhero movie in the last decade he would have been a perfect fit because he is JACKED in this movie.

Also, why does Catherine Zeta Jones all of a sudden become akin to an evil gossip journalist in the middle of the movie? When Kristy Swanson and Zane are captured in the museum and taken to Drax's office, she pops out of nowhere to deliver a hot scoop about how Swanson is in love with The Phantom. And why did she suddenly turn good at the end of the movie?

Oh and for those looking for something unique and great on Netflix, The Tribe was recently put on and so far what I've watched is amazing. It's completely silent in that all characters speak to each other in Ukranian Sign Language and there are no subtitles, so you have to follow ever closer to get an understanding of what's happening. Some things I could catch onto as there are similarities to ASL but for the most part it's a totally visual experience that's engrossing, especially the dark subject matter of the film.

• Like 2

I don't understand. What's wooiefy?

Turning the evil dude into a heartthrob and then explaining away all the evil like that's not completely a fucked up thing to do.

I say this and then I see that Michael B Jordan was cast in Black Panther and I s2g if he is the villain I'm gonna probably wooiefy the shit out of him. Everyone in that cast is already a damn heartthrob.

• Like 2

Oh like that's a high bar to get over.

I made a post on tumblr about how Jared Leto is going around saying the Joker is a "misunderstood sweetheart" and people better not wooiefy him like they did with Loki from "the Avengers." And now I'm getting all these anonymous comments explaining WHY Joker HAD to sexually assault Barbara Gordon in "The Killing Joke" and I kind of want to throw my computer out the window.

That's why I came over to these boards. You guys give me strength.

Maybe I should just reply to all of them with some Colon Blow?

I had to battle some neckbeards over whether that was actually sexual assault or not -__-

Also back to Colon Blow - was that not literally just the same chords as "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopgyAc-F9U

• Like 2

Just finished watching the Phantom (It's on Netflix BTW). I really liked how everyone in the move had a super power. The power to unerringly locate anyone at any time no matter how fast they are traveling or what means of transport they are using.

• Like 1

Turning the evil dude into a heartthrob and then explaining away all the evil like that's not completely a fucked up thing to do.

I say this and then I see that Michael B Jordan was cast in Black Panther and I s2g if he is the villain I'm gonna probably wooiefy the shit out of him. Everyone in that cast is already a damn heartthrob.

You might want to start making those excuses now....

I had to battle some neckbeards over whether that was actually sexual assault or not -__-

giphy.gif

It's always the fucking neckbeards, isn't it? Maybe all that extra hair around their neck is, like, cutting the circulation off to their brain...

Oh, and on the topic of Suicide Squad, color me unsurprised that Suicide Squad isn't getting rave reviews. I'm not even sure I know where the hype was even coming from... Were people seeing different trailers and images than me?

• Like 2

Does Suicide Squad getting shit reviews mean I dont have to see another fucking article where someone on the cast talks about how dark and edgy Jared Leto was on set while being the Joker?

• Like 3

Have you ever thought of just calling a rewrite and taking a script from a movie like The Shadow or The Phantom and putting your own special spin on it? Kind of what you did for F&F 9. Then maybe doing table read for it and donating the money to charity.

As to movies like The Phantom and The Shadow, is a matter of cheap acquisition of the I.P. since both characters are extremely old and out of the mainstream even for the '90s? Or was it that they non powered characters called for less special effects and thus saved production costs? Either way, they could have taken half the money they saved and poured into script talent.

First Time on Forums so give it a shout out.

Oh, and on the topic of Suicide Squad, color me unsurprised that Suicide Squad isn't getting rave reviews. I'm not even sure I know where the hype was even coming from... Were people seeing different trailers and images than me?

I wanted a Viola Davis to succeed.

• Like 4

You might want to start making those excuses now....

Legit it never mattered what his role was going to be. It's Michael B. Jordan for shit's sake.

That man... just...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It's always the fucking neckbeards, isn't it? Maybe all that extra hair around their neck is, like, cutting the circulation off to their brain...

In all fairness I'm not actually sure they have neckbeards because it was online, but that is just now the term I throw on to any clear mouth breathing asshole who shoves his own head so far up his ass as to avoid being a decent human being.

I thought one SS trailer looked good. I think it was the Bohemian Rhapsody one, and then the one directly after it lost me again.

There was a Joker/Harley fanfic I discovered back in maybe 2009 called Dog Will Hunt that I thought was actually a brilliantly written introduction to those two. It's centered around Harley being his doctor at Arkham and how her obsession takes hold and just wow. I have no idea if it's still even on the internet anymore but if anyone likes to read good fanfic then I highly recommend it.

• Like 3

In all fairness I'm not actually sure they have neckbeards because it was online, but that is just now the term I throw on to any clear mouth breathing asshole who shoves his own head so far up his ass as to avoid being a decent human being.

Oh, I know. I just can't resist putting literal neckbeards in their place. C'mon, people! Let's put a minimum amount of effort into our appearance.

• Like 2

Suicide Squad's Rotten Tomato rating is now at 33%.

Last week I predicted that the movie will bomb. Here's why.

1. The movie oozes ugliness. The color scheme is mud overlaid with the green tint found in the lower-budget products from Blumhouse. The chaotic visual style is anxiety-producing. It gives one the feeling of being trapped in a Hot Topic store.

2. The cast as a whole is not likable. Other than reports of Jared Leto's obnoxious pranks, we get instagrams of the cast members wielding tattoo guns and tattooing SKWAD on each other, hubristically, as if they were the cast of LotR. And the biggest names in the movie, Will Smith and Jared Leto, are both unlikable.

3. Look at the world we live in now. Everything is horrible. We don't need to spend $10 to see shady government officials getting shady people to carry out shady operations. We can just turn on the news. I think this is why DC movies are not doing well. The era of dark, morally ambiguous superheroes/super-antiheroes with little accountability is over.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough how Suicide SKWAD (jesus) does in the box office.

Oh I see. Ugh. Thanks for explaining the word to me!

• Like 2

3. Look at the world we live in now. Everything is horrible. We don't need to spend $10 to see shady government officials getting shady people to carry out shady operations. We can just turn on the news. I think this is why DC movies are not doing well. The era of dark, morally ambiguous superheroes/super-antiheroes with little accountability is over.

Also who knows if they'll ever understand why trying to capitalize on the Nolan era story-telling by making everything dark and gritty is such a bad idea. In my opinion what made all of those movies work so well were not that they were darker movies, especially since Batman in the Burton era was already dark and gritty, but rather that they were so real. They were focused on real life scenarios with these bonkers scenarios anchoring them. The mob controlling a city is real, and then you add in a crazy dude dressed like a clown and a dude that dresses up like a bat to fight him and boom you have a comic book movie.

Even back in the Burton era he took the ridiculousness of it and made it entertaining while still incredibly dark. I'm in the faction of loving Batman Returns more than even Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises (and not just because of Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman) because it's dark and ridiculousness done correctly. Suicide Squad is trying to be dark and ridiculous at the same time, and that's the problem. They're trying. Tim Burton had that shit already inside of him for so long that he didn't need to try.

• Like 2

Suicide Squad's Rotten Tomato rating is now at 33%.

Last week I predicted that the movie will bomb. Here's why.

1. The movie oozes ugliness. The color scheme is mud overlaid with the green tint found in the lower-budget products from Blumhouse. The chaotic visual style is anxiety-producing. It gives one the feeling of being trapped in a Hot Topic store.

2. The cast as a whole is not likable. Other than reports of Jared Leto's obnoxious pranks, we get instagrams of the cast members wielding tattoo guns and tattooing SKWAD on each other, hubristically, as if they were the cast of LotR. And the biggest names in the movie, Will Smith and Jared Leto, are both unlikable.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough how Suicide SKWAD (jesus) does in the box office.

Oh I see. Ugh. Thanks for explaining the word to me!

That's kinda what I touched upon with that thing I wrote. Because DC are so intent on "Dark and Gritty", they're forcing EVERYTHING into "Dark and Gritty", when Warner Bros have the Mortal Kombat Universe in their pocket, perhaps the ultimate in "Dark and Gritty" without needing to be all "Shades of Grey". You have the good, moral characters (Raiden, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kenshi, Sub-Zero, Sonya Blade, Jax, I can keep going), you have the straight up evil characters (Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, Quan Chi etc.) and even the neutral characters nail their colours to the fence (Scorpion ultimately became one of the most important good guys, whereas others are neutral, but are for hire).

Superman is an ultra, clean-cut, moral good guy, he doesn't need to be an anti-hero, and dark, he's bright and colourful with unwavering virtue, that's it.

• Like 2

The AV Club review mentions that Suicide Squad uses not just "Bohemian Rhapsody", but also "Sympathy for the Devil", "Fortunate Son", and "Spirit in the Sky", presumably while things are happening in slow motion on screen. The movie could be good or bad, but those music choices have got to be the most tired, overused soundtrack cues in the history of cinema. That's pretty ballsy, but mostly stupid. I wonder what song will play over the credits? Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping"?

• Like 7

i am way behind with this so move along if you're sick of Batman V Superman chat:

i only saw Batman V Superman for the first time last night and surprisingly, i kinda liked it. i mean it was overlong, way too much CGI, and it had a kinda felt "silly" in places but despite all that, it was ok.

It just took to long too get to the point.

the fight scene between batman and superman was abit cheesy, especially the whole martha thing (but that's probably from the comic books?)

but once that was out of the way it really got going.

and how good was gal gadot as wonder woman. she was kick ass. i grew up with lynda carter''s WW and i only knew gal from the fast and furious movies but she was great. i know she wasn't in it much but when she was the movie was better for it.

so if this is what they rate as a 27% movie on RT then i am kinda looking forward to suicide squad again. i'm gona try to see it next week.

• Like 1

I agree, firsttimecaller, I liked it much more than most people/critics. I think my bar was so low for it that I was pleasantly surprised and I'm thinking that might be the case for this movie as well. I have things that bothered me with BvS and I know Jared Leto is gonna bother me with this, but we'll see after I see it tomorrow night.

Oh also I haven't given BvS a second viewing and I was going through a breakup at the time so there's always the possibility that two and a half hours of The Big Bang Theory would have pleasantly surprised me during that time.

• Like 3

I love Big Bang Theory, a few years ago I just watched the first 5 seasons back to back in DVD.

Speaking of neckbeards, here's me being a neckbeard and writing about video games and superheroes. I even make reference to HDTGM

https://medium.com/@...903b#.iz50sw1up

Your not talking about the king are you?

fxf12a.jpg

Watched the phantom last night and it made me think,

wait a goddamn minute this isn't the shadow this is the origin story of the fruit of the loom guy. How he learned to get off his high horse and start working and making money on quality underwear products.

2s7xjdt.jpg

• Like 1

The AV Club review mentions that Suicide Squad uses not just "Bohemian Rhapsody", but also "Sympathy for the Devil", "Fortunate Son", and "Spirit in the Sky", presumably while things are happening in slow motion on screen. The movie could be good or bad, but those music choices have got to be the most tired, overused soundtrack cues in the history of cinema. That's pretty ballsy, but mostly stupid. I wonder what song will play over the credits? Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping"?

What? No, "Hallelujah?" A song so overused that even the songwriter suggested that we should all give it a rest. I'm disappointed...

• Like 3

I also just saw BvS and, while the Batman-versus-Superman portion was okay, the additional 90 minutes of transparent "we have to lay the groundwork for a Justice League movie" filler was baffling. Marvel spent eight years constructing a cinematic universe; DC's script writers were handed a checklist of all the references needed to "catch up" overnight, and their solution was to inject a bunch of unexplained visions/cameos/omega symbols/riveting file-browsing sequences.

That said, Affleck's Batman is now the definitive portrayal in my mind. Go rewatch any portion of Nolan's trilogy and ask yourself "What the fuck is Christian Bale doing with his mouth, and why did we give this a pass?"

• Like 5

What? No, "Hallelujah?" A song so overused that even the songwriter suggested that we should all give it a rest. I'm disappointed...

Don't forget the before-it-all-went-wrong romantic flashback set to Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill"!

• Like 2

Things I remember about The Phantom:

1) Kristy Swanson in jodhpurs

2) The Phantom shooting people's guns out of their hands without looking

3) Thinking that the action sequences looked like they came out of one of the Action Pack shows like Xena or Hercules

I also just saw BvS and, while the Batman-versus-Superman portion was okay, the additional 90 minutes of transparent "we have to lay the groundwork for a Justice League movie" filler was baffling. Marvel spent eight years constructing a cinematic universe; DC's script writers were handed a checklist of all the references needed to "catch up" overnight, and their solution was to inject a bunch of unexplained visions/cameos/omega symbols/riveting file-browsing sequences.

That said, Affleck's Batman is now the definitive portrayal in my mind. Go rewatch any portion of Nolan's trilogy and ask yourself "What the fuck is Christian Bale doing with his mouth, and why did we give this a pass?"

This to the Nth degree. This is what Sony did with Amazing Spiderman 2 as well. They were so desperate to launch their own movie-verse they just started cramming as much shit and set up as they possibly could in a desperate attempt to quickstart it. I wonder whats going to happen with the stand alone Venom movie along with the Sinister Six movie they were planning. Especially after they finally bit the bullet and let Marvel have Spiderman.

I don't think anyone can ever watch Nolan's Batman movies again and at all take them seriously after seeing Pete Holme's impression. He so amazingly captures all the goofy shit Bale somehow got away with.

• Like 1