🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 71 - Summer Camp: Live from Fox Cabaret in Vancouver, BC (w/ The Sunday Service)

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes the live people of Vancouver, BC and the people of the internet to this week's episode of Spontaneanation, recorded live from the famous Fox Cabaret! This week, Paul’s special guest is Vancouver's legendary improv group The Sunday Service: Ryan Beil, Caitlin Howden, Kevin Lee, Aaron Read, and Taz Van Rassel! Paul chats with Caitlin about the childhood trauma that defined her as an artist, being raised in a small inuit village, and the proper disposal of sheep dogs. Paul and Caitlin are then joined by the entire Sunday Service to improvise a story set at Summer Camp. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

The next live edition of Spontaneanation happens Saturday, August 6 at Largo at The Coronet! Join Paul & Eban as they welcome improvisors Dan Ahdoot, Tim Baltz and Tawny Newsome, and special interview guest Desmin Borges from You’re The Worst! Tickets are on sale now!

The Spont intros really are magic. The bit about Jurassic Park religious implications/ confronting fundamentalists with dinosaurs made me look like (more of a...) psychopath at work.

• Like 4

This was a great episode. I saw it live and had such a blast. A couple visual bits didn't quite translate. There's was a great bit at the end where "Jeremy" leans in to kiss "Diane" and she leans back in disgust. And those massage hand had to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

I was at this show and it was beyond amazing. I promise I wasn't one of the people shouting things. If you get the chance to go to a Spont or any other PFT show, run don't walk to make it happen! If you have nobody to go with, go alone like I did, you'll make friends. There is instant kinship between people who hear the same disembodied voices. I didn't do a lot of socializing, as I am a shy person, but when the birthday girl was trying to explain the significance of "Happy Birthday" to her friends after the show, myself and the other stranger sitting next to me butted in and filled in the details she was missing, and between the three of us, we came up with the full saga of Paul's vendetta against those miserly crones, Mildred and Patty, may they roast in hell, and it was a fun moment of "we're the people who get it!"

I can assure you that Kevin did get a chance to pee during the first break, in case any of you needed a bladder update. All those performer intros were so weird and funny, I'm laughing very hard all over again while listening. Dragons!

Caitlin's interview was hilarious. Her childhood in the small Inuit village was like what people who know nothing about Canada except the stereotypes think our lives are like. Between this, Ryan's toque, Kevin's plaid shirt, and all the Marxism, this episode may be the most Canadian stereotype-reinforcing thing that has ever existed.

Lots of visual stuff in the improv. Whenever Paul was playing the character "Jazz," he would stumble around the stage leaning drunkenly, and whoever was nearby would have to support him. I also enjoyed the owl and bear character's physically acting, well, like and owl and a bear. And Jeff Cangetatan/Jeff Haspaleskin's spider fingers, which were already described very well by the improvisers. After Jeremy says "Bye, Diane," near the end, he leans in to kiss Diane and she leans wayyyyy back to avoid the kiss. At the very end, Paul's mystic character, offended by Diane, gives the bear permission to maul her and he does. Super hilarious improv, I was so glad to be able to see this. Sorry for the long post!

• Like 7

I didn't do a lot of socializing, as I am a shy person, but when the birthday girl was trying to explain the significance of "Happy Birthday" to her friends after the show, myself and the other stranger sitting next to me butted in and filled in the details she was missing.

Holy shit! I was the other stranger sitting next to you. Hi! :D

• Like 2

Holy shit! I was the other stranger sitting next to you. Hi! :D/>

Whaaaaaat, hello again, person I spoke to once!

• Like 3

Holy shit! I was the other stranger sitting next to you. Hi! :D
Whaaaaaat, hello again, person I spoke to once!

"…and that was how your father and I met."

• Like 6

All those performer intros were so weird and funny, I'm laughing very hard all over again while listening. Dragons!

Caitlin's interview was hilarious. Her childhood in the small Inuit village was like what people who know nothing about Canada except the stereotypes think our lives are like. Between this, Ryan's toque, Kevin's plaid shirt, and all the Marxism, this episode may be the most Canadian stereotype-reinforcing thing that has ever existed.

Yes, these were great! Excellent episode all around.

Always nice to hear the live perspective.

• Like 1

I was at this show and it was beyond amazing. I promise I wasn't one of the people shouting things. If you get the chance to go to a Spont or any other PFT show, run don't walk to make it happen! If you have nobody to go with, go alone like I did, you'll make friends. There is instant kinship between people who hear the same disembodied voices. I didn't do a lot of socializing, as I am a shy person, but when the birthday girl was trying to explain the significance of "Happy Birthday" to her friends after the show, myself and the other stranger sitting next to me butted in and filled in the details she was missing, and between the three of us, we came up with the full saga of Paul's vendetta against those miserly crones, Mildred and Patty, may they roast in hell, and it was a fun moment of "we're the people who get it!"

I love this post and i love that you went by yourself, gives me hope for attending a future show!

This was such a fun ep. It felt very different i thought. Maybe that's because it was an existing improv group or maybe it was the larger number of people on stage than Paul normally has, but it really worked and this was one that i'll have to listen again since i don't think i got the most out of it listening at work.

• Like 1

I highly recommend going by yourself. I went alone to this show as well as Comedy Bang Bang the night before and had a blast. Never deny yourself a great experience.

Also, the 'childhood trauma' question is extra funny now knowing that it was written by Rachel Bloom. Can't wait to find out what Caitlin asked.

Sign in to follow this