🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bleepblopbloop

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Over $300 million at the box office, critically beloved, and visual effects so revolutionary the Academy thought it necessary to give it a Special Achievement Oscar for its animation.

On top of all that, this is without a doubt one of the most purely joyful movies ever made, and for me a prime example of what makes movies such a worthwhile interest for cinephiles and non-cinephiles alike. The SFX and animation aren't just the main highlight (*cough* Avatar), as even without them this would be both an effective noir and hilarious parody of them.

Most of all, this is the one tattoo I don't regret getting in my life. I'd love further validation by having Who Framed Roger Rabbit take its rightful place in The Canon.

post-122345-0-01381700-1470144122_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bob Hoskins deserved at least a nomination for his performance here. One of the funniest and most fun films ever made, and certainly the best work in the microgenre of films mixing animation and live action.

• Like 2

While I adore WFRR - being one of the most up-holding movies of my childhood - if I were to toss in a vote for a Bob Hoskins episode, I would so go with The Long Good Friday vs. Mona Lisa.

Hoskins is one of my favorite actors. Tough, charming, and very intense, but in a very blue-collar way that tends to fly absolutely contrary to the American stereotype of a British actor. In both of these films, he plays an English gangster, one on the low end of the hierarchy, one near the top. In one, he stars opposite Michael Caine, in the other, Helen Mirren, and both of them have him dealing with some seriously messed-up stuff that threatens to overwhelm and destroy him. Both are complex and gritty movies, and Hoskins is just on fire from the beginning to end of them both.

I wouldn't call either of these movies a slam-dunk, but one at least deserves inclusion. WFRR is a great film, but it's not about Hoskins by any means. THESE are his two big movies, to me, and no fan of his should go a month longer without seeing them both. Also, I really like Mermaids, but, well, yeah.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this