🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 142 - The Phantom: LIVE! (w/ Eliza Skinner, Ed Brubaker)

Did anyone else notice that the Great Kabai Singh was Shang Tsung? So my theory is that this movie is a prequel to Mortal Kombat, and Shang Tsung wanted the skulls in order to open up the portal to the Neatherrealm and start the invasion of Earthrealm by Shao Khan's forces. I think it's even the same boat. I just thank Raiden that Billy Zane was there to save us all for another generation until Liu Kang came along to defeat him once and for all.

You're forgetting something... Raiden WAS there!

844d1c2ac4a02772de849bf70fdea56a-650-80.jpg

(And, not to nitpick, if he was to open up a portal to the Neatherrealm, he'd be greeted by Quan Chi and Shinnok, whereas Shao Kahn is the emperor of Outworld... I hate myself sometimes haha)

(And, not to nitpick, if he was to open up a portal to the Neatherrealm, he'd be greeted by Quan Chi and Shinnok, whereas Shao Kahn is the emperor of Outworld... I hate myself sometimes haha)

Don't worry man, someday they will cover MK Annihilation.

• Like 1

I let out a genuine, hearty laugh at that response.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation was the first movie I publically booed in the theater when the credits rolled.

Fun Fact: MKA was one of the few DVD releases where of the special features was "alternate angles" where it was probably just the image reversed.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation was the first movie I publically booed in the theater when the credits rolled.

Fun Fact: MKA was one of the few DVD releases where of the special features was "alternate angles" where it was probably just the image reversed.

I am literally on the campaign trail for this movie, just for my own self indulgent C&O/Q&A nerd out that the thread would become.

Like June had said about people not liking Grease 2 and realizing as a child that movies could be bad, this was the movie where I realized that. When I saw that basically the entire cast had been changed from the fairly decent one of the prior movie, and that they were just killing/adding characters willy nilly, I knew I was in for a bad experience and felt bad for my dad who I asked to bring to the theater to see that hunk of shit.

That being said, in terms of who gets divorced? it's GAME ON, New York couple!!

Created an account to point out that a guy from New Orleans going by thechicagoloop is representing LA in Divorceathon 2016.

• Like 2

The team covered most of the things I noticed, but still had a few things in my notes.

In the chase scene in NY, is it just me or were the motorcycles the cops were riding floating through the sky? maybe it was just bad special effects, but it stood out to me.

On the plane, one of the henchmen is woken up by being hit with a smoke ring blown by one of the other bad guys. If this worked, he'd be the most powerful person in the movie, by far.

How is it at all possible that no one would notice this purple guy floating in the middle of the cove when the Phantom follows Drax and company into the cave? Besides that, he approaches via the water. Is there any method of transportation less loud than water?

I only noticed this while listening to the podcast, but Zane sounds suspiciously like Adam West when playing the Phantom.

There is not a superhero with worse clever comebacks than the Phantom.

The Phantom: What is this, a ship full of women?

Sala: All my pilots are women.

The Phantom: Interesting. Excuse me.

This film was produced by two of the biggest producers in Hollywood history, Alan Ladd Jr. and Robert Evans. It was obviously their attempt to make a movie of something they enjoyed as kids.

Perhaps Kit's terrible job as the Phantom is intended to show how he struggles to live up to his father's expectations (which we see in his hallucinatory conversations)?

I've been waiting for the day that this podcast would do a movie my mom worked on and it's finally here!!!

I told her as much and showed her the ep. on my phone. She scrolled down to see what else they had done, handed the phone back to me and just said, "I worked on The Quest".

Anyway, the super biased seven year old me thought this was the best movie ever (partly because I was on set for a lot of it and partly cause of that scene where the dog and the horse talk to each other.)

• Like 7

I've been waiting for the day that this podcast would do a movie my mom worked on and it's finally here!!!

I told her as much and showed her the ep. on my phone. She scrolled down to see what else they had done, handed the phone back to me and just said, "I worked on The Quest".

Anyway, the super biased seven year old me thought this was the best movie ever (partly because I was on set for a lot of it and partly cause of that scene where the dog and the horse talk to each other.)

Please give us all of the stories about both of these movies immediately!

• Like 1

I can't believe I didn't notice Raiden! It must've been after I used that damn microscope. And good catch on the Outworld/Neatherrealm mistake.

Paul and Jason are in Funny Or Die Presents Donald Trump’s The Art Of The Deal: The Movie, which is now on Netflix. Paul plays Roy Cohn and Jason plays a homeless man (you can see him in the trailer). Paul and Jason did a lot with their small roles.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

I can't believe I didn't notice Raiden! It must've been after I used that damn microscope. And good catch on the Outworld/Neatherrealm mistake.

It's just an obsession for me at this point, loved everything MK for nearly 25 years now.

That's why the second movie is fucked, because it's just a hodge-podge of three different games, and it gets all fucked up, to the point of the whole "Shao Kahn is my brother" thing... oh god I'm off on a rant again haha.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if your mother would be interested, but it sounds like she might be a fun candidate for Matt Gourley's I Was There Too podcast.

• Like 3

I came across this story like a year ago after having fallen into a Wikipedia information hole and I just really want to talk about how The Phantom is huge with the Wahgi tribe in Paupa New Guinea in like the 1980s. They began to paint pictures of him on their war shields because he was "The Hero Who Couldn't Die". Traditionally they painted a representation of the animal who's characteristics they wanted to take on in battle so like if they wanted courage or strength they would paint a lion or elephant. But when their isolated area was encountered by WWII servicemen the stories of their favorite comic book character spread to the Wahgi people and The Phantom became a phenomenon because he came from the jungle like them and wore a mask to fight. They identified with the character and wanted to take on his other characteristics in battle. Here are some pictures of their shields

ixoq1mokwyumcynwhuus.jpgvb2o0j2vm3eiz6ozvykw.jpg

• Like 4

Was I the only one who thought the kid in the beginning was supposed to be Billy Zane? I just had made that assumption and then was quite confused the whole time about who the fucking ghost dude was that was talking to him, because that was not the same man murdered on the ship at the beginning.

Plus they never established that he hadn't been fighting as the Phantom since he was a child so I couldn't figure out how he knew Diana so I thought he was just stalking her the whole time before even having ever met her. And then when he presented the black pearls to her I literally just started singing, "Hey, I just met you and this is crazy! But here's these black pearls! So call me maybe!?"

• Like 3

And then when he presented the black pearls to her I literally just started singing, "Hey, I just met you and this is crazy! But here's these black pearls! So call me maybe!?"

Who can forget this hit song and its music video.

29b2hkj.jpg

• Like 2

Who can forget this hit song and its music video.

29b2hkj.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of

ZrKOcKJ.jpg

• Like 2

Just a quick potpourri of Phantom observations...

1) In the movie, Remar initially appears to be just a mercenary that Drax hires get recover the magic skulls. Now I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Drax wanted these skulls for his own evil purposes and that he is not himself a member of the Sengh Brotherhood. However, we learn early on that Remar's character is a part of the Brotherhood. I also got the impression that Remar's character was not particularly fond of Drax ("I don't like to ask Drax questions. His answers scare me.") So, I guess my question is: why would Remar hand the skull(s) over to Drax in the first place? Drax wants the power for himself, but it seems like Remar wants the power for the Brotherhood. Aren't they working at cross purposes? I get Remar working with Drax so that he has access to the green skull, and the amount of adventuring he needs to do to acquire them might require capital that is beyond his means, but why turn the skull over to Drax at all? Why not conveniently "not find" the first skull, steal the second, and deliver them both straight to his beloved Brotherhood?

2) A "Devil's Vortex" is that thing when you perform oral sex with an overly salivating tongue in a firm and relentless clockwise motion. NOTE: This act should be performed in a counter-clockwise motion when participants are in the Southern Hemisphere.

tumblr_mc87t2ScYU1rqrnlao1_500.gif

Please don't write a post explaining how the Coriolis Effect works. Don't be pedantic. :)

• Like 5

Was I the only one who thought the kid in the beginning was supposed to be Billy Zane? I just had made that assumption and then was quite confused the whole time about who the fucking ghost dude was that was talking to him, because that was not the same man murdered on the ship at the beginning.

I thought that too, because they really didn't establish time in this movie until Zane was introduced.

Omission:

As for Drax and the Skulls, I am going to say that this movie is officially a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as they owned the rights to the character from '87 to '02, so with Drax looking for the Skulls i.e. objects containing an Infinity Stone, that when he was blown up in the final battle along with the Skulls, he was transported to the future and became Drax the Destroyer. BAM, now all I need is Marvel to pay me for that.

• Like 1

Please give us all of the stories about both of these movies immediately!

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of stories from the set. This was filmed in Thailand, as were most of the movies my mom worked on (Except for Brokedown Palace, the only one to take place in Thailand.) It had a lot of the same crew and locations, so all of these memories kind of run together in my head. Most of the stories I thought happened on the Phantom turned out to have been on other movies. My mom said pretty much the same thing when I asked her. This is what I remember.

1. Billy Zane had to be bald to wear the suit and it freaked me the fuck out. I had read the script back to front multiple times and kept asking people what he was going to do during the scenes where he was Kit Walker. I got a lot of "He's probably going to wear a wig, what's wrong with you?"

2. The little Phantom in the beginning was my friend Austin. His dad was the production designer on both this and Operation Dumbo Drop. My mom cast him. I remember being half proud of my buddy and half pissed that my mom didn't cast me as anything. I thought he was supposed to be little Billy Zane as well.

3. I was obsessed with Diana and Sala. Manneq-ahem-Kristy Swanson was lovely. She hugged me told me I looked like Princess Jasmine. Never got to meet CZJ.

Sorry. I guess all the weird shit happened on Operation Dumbo Drop.

I'm not sure if your mother would be interested, but it sounds like she might be a fun candidate for Matt Gourley's I Was There Too podcast.

I love I Was There Too, but I think that's mostly for actors no? My Mom was a casting director. Besides, I think most of the stories where she could really let loose are thoroughly libelous. :)

• Like 9

I love I Was There Too, but I think that's mostly for actors no? My Mom was a casting director. Besides, I think most of the stories where she could really let loose are thoroughly libelous. :)

Yeah, I think it is mostly for actors, but I don't think he'd be too persnickety if she has good stories. For example, Martin Casella was Spielberg's assistant for Raiders of the Lost Ark and he spoke about that...Just a thought.

• Like 2

Just a quick potpourri of Phantom observations...

1) In the movie, Remar initially appears to be just a mercenary that Drax hires get recover the magic skulls. Now I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Drax wanted these skulls for his own evil purposes and that he is not himself a member of the Sengh Brotherhood. However, we learn early on that Remar's character is a part of the Brotherhood. I also got the impression that Remar's character was not particularly fond of Drax ("I don't like to ask Drax questions. His answers scare me.") So, I guess my question is: why would Remar hand the skull(s) over to Drax in the first place? Drax wants the power for himself, but it seems like Remar wants the power for the Brotherhood. Aren't they working at cross purposes? I get Remar working with Drax so that he has access to the green skull, and the amount of adventuring he needs to do to acquire them might require capital that is beyond his means, but why turn the skull over to Drax at all? Why not conveniently "not find" the first skull, steal the second, and deliver them both straight to his beloved Brotherhood?

Remar seemed to treat his Sengh Brotherhood membership like a AAA membership. It didn't seem like he was ever acting in their interests.

• Like 3

The Phantom brands his adversaries the same way Batman does in BvS, but no one argued whether or not that was giving them a death sentence.

Also Remar stroking that scar at the mere mention of The Phantom was really upsetting.

• Like 3

The Phantom brands his adversaries the same way Batman does in BvS, but no one argued whether or not that was giving them a death sentence.

That might be because no one knew who the fuck the Phantom was in this world, as he really only fought injustice in his fictional island.