🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Philly Cheesesteak

How About a Little Jackie Chan?

After listening to The General episode (again), something had occurred to me. You know what Chinese actor who exploded into popularity during the 80's and 90's, whose entire schtick is partly inspired by the physical comedy of silent film masters like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplain, should make at least one appearance in our beloved Canon?

Jackie Chan.

Anyone remember Jackie Chan mania back in the 90's? Spawned a popular celebrity cartoon, gimmicky ads, TV show cameos and a deluge of middling Hollywood flicks? Damn, that was something, wasn't it? I remember being ten and walking out of my local video store carrying armfuls of Jackie Chan movies (some from the 80's, some during his Hollywood era) for endless nightly marathons.

I was a huge fan.

So, bearing that in mind, here's what I'd like to ask everyone here: should there be a Jackie Chan movie in the Canon? If so, then what?

Personally, I'd like to nominate either The Legend of the Drunken Master or Police Story. How about you guys?

Drunken Master 2 or nothing. That axe gang fight is a thing of wonder. Anita Mui also shines as his mother. A desert island film for me personally. Police Story is great, but more heavy on the stunts than the fight choreography.

*apparently Drunk Master 2 was called "Legend of Drunken Master" when redubbed into English for a late 90s theatrical release. Golden Harvest had already made a pretty good dub for video, as was the norm for HK action flicks.

Plus, DM2 had a bout between Jackie and Jet Li.

Sold.

You might be thinking of a different movie (Forbidden Kingdom, maybe?). Jet Li isn't in Drunken Master 2.

You might be thinking of a different movie (Forbidden Kingdom, maybe?). Jet Li isn't in Drunken Master 2.

Oh, right, my bad. Got them mixed up.

Yeah, just go with Legend of Drunken Master, and have that represent his whole (pre-Hollywood) career. Tangents on other films will be highly welcome. Jackie's goofball masochistic stunt reel of a career deserves more love.

Yeah, just go with Legend of Drunken Master, and have that represent his whole (pre-Hollywood) career. Tangents on other films will be highly welcome. Jackie's goofball masochistic stunt reel of a career deserves more love.

Damn straight.

All in favour of Legend of the Drunken Master, say aye.

Since the old forums, I've been championing Police Story. I like The Legend of the Drunken Master, but Police Story is the one I'd champion. This is not one I'd want to do as a versus, since both are so different, and so goddamned awesome. With that in mind, either of these getting in would be fine.

I love this idea. I would be totally down with Drunken Master or Police Story though my personal favorite of his has always been Operation Condor. It was the best combination of his style and humor that's endlessly rewatchable.

Also, for whatever this is worth, while I wouldn't argue they're canon-worthy I think the first two Rush Hour movies are incredible.

Sign in to follow this