🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PuffKnuckle

I tried. I can't do it.

I gave this one a legitimate shot but it's just a lousy formula:

Howard's nonsensical questions and Kulap's incessant laughter set against the backdrop of a very tired bit about about "Summah."

This week's awesomely painful exchange:

Howard: It could be said about this band.... Kate, what could be said about you?

Kulap: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kate: Um...are you serious?

Kulap: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Howard: Uh, I'm out of it sorry.

Kulap: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, I hate laughter too. Also, sunshine and rainbows can fuck right off.

I like the "summah" bit. Kulap's laughter used to bother me, too, but I got used to it. The only part of the show I can't stand is the "Nummmber One!" yelling business. Pointless and juvenile. You can almost always feel the guests disdain for it.

To me that's what makes the show what it is. Howard's ridiculous questions, and Kulap laughing at how ridiculous they are. Of course, it's not for everyone.
And the thing about the Summah bit is that I believe that it's not even a bit for Howard. I think he's totally into to the "Summah" "Have a Summah" thing. I really like it.

Considering most of the guests start doing the yelling thing on their own or ask if they are allowed to do it as well I highly doubt they don't enjoy it.

I've listened to over half the episodes so far, and I've never heard a guest ask if they could join in. Many of them clearly DO join in, but there's a palpable lack of enthusiasm for it. It's very much, "well, I guess they expect me to do this shit."

To each his own. I know a lot of comedy fans have refined and often specific tastes and I can see why people might not like Who Charted.

I love it because of the way guests often end up sharing interesting, personal stuff out of sheer confusion at what is being asked of them. Howard is kinda fishing for jokes via stream of consciousness, but sometimes it's not even jokes, his mind just seems to be exploring weird random places just to make conversation. It's all gray area, and the guests not knowing what are jokes and what aren't is what makes it funny, and is also what Kulap is really good at picking up on and pointing out. Kulap is a great positive well-grounded counter to Howard's ramblings.

I like Kulap's laugh.... it's not like Natasha's Leggero's laugh; yikes!.... Actually, I find both of their laughs to be very seductive.

This is most consistently funny show on the entire station!

The first I heard was the Paul F Tompkins episode, which I absolutely loved on first hearing- I then did the usual podcast dance where I checked some of the rest, and rapidly became completely devoted. For me it didn't take much getting used to- I didn't feel like I had to adjust anything really, it all just clicked straight away. Howard & Kulap are really friendly and cheerful and have put me onto some awesome people from some episodes. But naturally, not everyone's gonna be into it - I'm just glad it exists and I really love the show.

Yeah I feel like Howards nonsense questions are what makes it great. He seems to have this amazing ability to find the strangest choice for a question while still staying on topic. He's basically the last host you would want for a show about charts if you actually cared about charts.

Wewe's hilarious. Fact! Kulap's adorable. Fact! The show is an unalloyed delight. FACT!

tannerhat hit it on the head, at least as far as I'm concerned. Howard's ad-libbed questioning -- and the reactions of Kulap and the guests to those questions -- are priceless. I thought the show wouldn't be able to last, frankly, because I didn't see there being enough turnover to make a weekly review of the music and movie charts appreciable. Howard and Kulap do a good job mixing up the charts so I don't have to listen to the same songs every week, etc. Right now, the show is in immediate-listen status for me.

Sign in to follow this