🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 72 - Airship Underwater: Live from Largo

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all back to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation, recorded at the world-famous Largo at The Coronet! This week, Paul’s special guest is legendary singer-songwriter Robyn Hitchcock! They chat about what sport he would play if he had all the physical ability but no mental awareness, being forced out of England by the Punks, and his interaction with Donovan at a Starbucks in Austin, Texas. Paul is then joined by Nyima Funk, Colleen Smith, and Chris Tallman to improvise a story set in an Airship Underwater. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

Photos by Lincoln DeFer

That was everything I expected and more from a Robyn Hitchcock interview!

BTW, this is the second podcast today that mentioned the Murder Kroger of Atlanta. (Jordan Jesse Go on a competing podcast network being the other.)

• Like 1

BTW, this is the second podcast today that mentioned the Murder Kroger of Atlanta. (Jordan Jesse Go on a competing podcast network being the other.)

Speaking of two mentions in a day, Scott on today's CBB— which was recorded in the past week or so— made reference to Alien Vs Predator's tagline "Whoever Wins, We Lose" when he mentioned Batman Vs Superman, as did Nima Funk on this episode, which, as Robyn mentioned, was recorded in early June.

Paul cracked up both times at the mention, as did I!

• Like 2

I just started the improvised story portion of the podcast, and I'm going to predict that, with the location being 'Airship Underwater,' Paul sneaks in a Bioshock reference or two. EDIT: No mentions! I lose.

• Like 1

I would have interpreted that question to mean that you have the necessary physical strength but no new mental awareness of how to play the sport, but you get to keep the awareness you already have. But their interpretation was funnier.

Loved the part where PFT had to play two roles at once!

The Colleen's teeth moving over like cars part was so great! Hope she's feeling better!

For the uninitiated, Robyn Hitchcock has a pretty deep discography that can be found wherever one normally goes for such stuff, but I would draw your attention to Storefront Hitchcock, a live performance captured on film by Jonathan Demme (and also available in audio form.) I mention that specifically not because it is necessarily his best work, but because it's kind of a good introduction to his solo performance style, including his very unique stage banter. His song introductions unspool in a stream of consciousness that is witty, insane and unmistakably spontaneous.

Also, I think you can find more than a few youtube clips of him with Eugene Mirman, who plays along nicely with Robyn's charming, extemporaneous madness.

In my heart of hearts, I can't help but think that PFT tried to urge Robyn to hang around and participate in the improv,

even just at a Jon Hamm level.

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing, this is an album cover-worthy photograph.

20160604_Lincoln-Andrew-DeFer_7911.jpg

• Like 2

You just put your teeth in neutral and move them around. Why was Paul so confused?

I'll throw in for those wanting to check out Robyn's music also check out his old band The Soft Boys. Underwater Moonlight is one of my all time favorite albums. Here is the title track.

• Like 1

I know it's a cliched thing to say, but I really would listen to to a Paul and Robyn podcast, about whatever they wanted to talk about.

• Like 1

Nyima and Colleen run a hair salon together. I would watch that show.

Sign in to follow this