🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 142.5 - Minisode 142.5

I wish!

as soon as paul said that I almost killed a new keyboard. a fancy new keyboard.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just read about this too. It's a real bummer. However, as much as I like Larry Wilmore (which is a lot), I never really got into The Nightly Show. It was just never as funny as I wanted it to be, which is a shame, because Wilmore is hilarious. After a couple of episodes, I kind of gave up on it. The same goes for Trevor Noah. I was a huge defender of his when he first took over for Stewart. I think he oozes charm and is insanely funny, and although I stuck with it for 6 or 7 months, I became disillusioned with it. Ultimately, I ended up having a couple of problems with Noah.

First of all, and this may be conjecture, but because Noah isn't American, it felt like his comedy was kind of toothless. Like, either he wasn't into it, or he didn't feel like he had the right to critique it. With Stewart, you could feel his barely contained rage bubbling just below the surface as he skewered the shitty politicians and news outlets, and I feel like a lot of that is due to the fact that he is an American. And while you can have someone who is not native born do the same thing (John Oliver is a great example of this), I feel like, especially after the early controversies that surrounded him when he took over, Noah ended up playing it a little bit too safe. I feel like he felt like he was an outsider, or at least felt like he'd be perceived as an outsider, and tried not to rock the boat too much. Stewart had passion, whereas Noah comes off as aloof. Stewart was such a force, "people" like Fox News started treating him like a real news person and a real threat to their philosophies and agenda. I don't think Noah has ever created quite this kind of stir, and I'm not sure that he ever will.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I found that Noah took a lot longer to get to the stories. I remember a big thing would happen, and my wife and I--even though we already weren't daily watchers of The Daily Show near the end of Stewart's tenure--would be like, "We have to watch The Daily Show tomorrow and hear what John has to say about this." With Noah, he would report on something and I would be like, "Yeah, that happened last week and has already been reported to death..." As it became less and less topical, I became less and less engaged. By the time he mentioned it, I had already heard about it, made fun of it, and had moved on.

Of course, it's been a couple of months since I've watched an episode and maybe things have gotten better... And I do wish The Nightly Show hadn't been cancelled, because even if I wasn't in to it, I feel like it was still an important show to be on the air. I love them both and I wish them both well.

I was familiar with both Noah and Oliver before they made their way to the US, both of them were pretty underwhelming. Oliver, for all intents and purposes was a bust in the UK before Jon Stewart put him on The Daily Show, but you nailed Trevor Noah perfectly, he's too aloof and feels like he's above everything, which can be the death knell for comedy.

And with Noah (and the Nightly Show as well), they sort of missed the point of what made their predecessors so successful, and they just felt like became snarky and condescending, as opposed to focussing more on humour. Which I feel like The Nightly Show would have been better served on MTV as opposed to Comedy Central.

I am so excited they are doing Gods of Egypt! When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked worthy of a future episode. I previewed some of the 5-star reviews on Amazon. They are amazing.

I guess I now have a reason to watch this now. but I am not sure Paul should really piss off the real god of Egypt, that is DR Hawass

r1lq3n.jpg

Haven't watched Gods of Egypt yet, but instead of swearing goddammit do they scream "me damn it?"

• Like 2

I was familiar with both Noah and Oliver before they made their way to the US, both of them were pretty underwhelming. Oliver, for all intents and purposes was a bust in the UK before Jon Stewart put him on The Daily Show, but you nailed Trevor Noah perfectly, he's too aloof and feels like he's above everything, which can be the death knell for comedy.

And with Noah (and the Nightly Show as well), they sort of missed the point of what made their predecessors so successful, and they just felt like became snarky and condescending, as opposed to focussing more on humour. Which I feel like The Nightly Show would have been better served on MTV as opposed to Comedy Central.

What made their predecessors so successful was that they were their own thing. Trying to force either Trevor or Larry to fit into the same mold as Jon and Stephen would be a straight recipe for disaster. Which is why Trevor has now gone away from the exact method that Jon used when he was host.

And The Nightly Show would in fact not be better served on MTV considering Comedy Central thought that he was not doing well with the younger demo and that's why they cancelled him. They literally said the show was not appearing on social media as much as they wanted and their target audience didn't seem interested. Moving him to MTV where that target audience is 90% of the audience is another recipe for disaster.

I very much get those feelings about Trevor Noah and see that myself sometimes, but his recent coverage on the election and the recent shootings have been A+ and genuine. As for Larry, I have appreciated his view on things more so than I had ever imagined. His stuff came from the heart and still made me laugh, which was what was needed in these times of insanity. It's really unfair to tell someone that isn't Stephen Colbert to be more like Stephen Colbert, especially when he has more cards stacked against him.

• Like 3

I very much get those feelings about Trevor Noah and see that myself sometimes, but his recent coverage on the election and the recent shootings have been A+ and genuine.

I agree that Noah definitely has potential. Truth be told, I wasn't too thrilled when Stewart took over for Kilborn. In my opinion, it took a couple of years for Stewart to really hit his stride, but once he did, he was amazing, and Kilborn became little more than a footnote. I feel like this could be the same for Noah--although Stewart will never be entirely forgotten. Maybe it's already happening/happened. I may check it out again after the baby is born. As funny as it might sound, another reason we stopped watching The Daily Show is because this has been a very difficult pregnancy for us--especially (of course) for my wife. With all the shit going on this year--globally, nationally, professionally, and personally--I suggested maybe we stop watching the news for awhile--even a comedic facsimile of the news. Stress is always going to be there, but if we can control, at least a little bit, where it's coming from, it's better all around. Which isn't to say we've lived in sensory deprivation, but we're able to control where it's coming from and how much we're willing to consume. It's helped a lot.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the problem with the many changes to late night shows was that there were a bunch of changes all in a row in quick succession. Remember, when Carson retired he had been in that spot for decades and there were only two real options to succeed him, which was still kind of chaotic as both Leno and Letterman were vying for the job as Letterman was in a huge contract battle with the network in an attempt to get the spot while Leno's manager was doing the same for him, watch The HBO movie the Late Shift which was based on the book of the same name as it gives great insight into how that whole ordeal played out.

Then six years ago you have Leno "leaving" the Tonight Show and having Conan take his spot, only for Leno to take it back later and Conan ends up on TBS, while Letterman and Kimmel are both fighting for second. Now in the last two years you have had not only the main late night guys leave but also the late-late guys moving around too, meaning a lot more shuffling parts. Fallon lucked out as he had quite a bit of time for himself to establish his foothold as a likeable host and interviewer. Then you have Craig Ferguson leave and replaced by James Corden, Seth Myers replacing Fallon on Late Night, Jon Stewart retiring, Colbert replacing Letterman, Noah replacing Stewart, and Wilmore replacing Colbert. All of it happened so fast that no one has had the chance to establish themselves in a meaningful way. Hell Colbert is having a real tough time establishing himself and his ratings are showing it, the numerous vacations aren't helping him either. With social media and how ratings are compiled, networks are wanting that instant response to a new product, which makes it all that much harder to establish yourself to an audience.

• Like 2

As funny as it might sound, another reason we stopped watching The Daily Show is because this has been a very difficult pregnancy for us--especially (of course) for my wife. With all the shit going on this year--globally, nationally, professionally, and personally--I suggested maybe we stop watching the news for awhile--even a comedic facsimile of the news. Stress is always going to be there, but if we can control, at least a little bit, where it's coming from, it's better all around. Which isn't to say we've lived in sensory deprivation, but we're able to control where it's coming from and how much we're willing to consume. It's helped a lot.

I totally understand all of this, and I'm so sorry that this pregnancy has been so hard on y'all! After Orlando (and then again after the shooting here) the stress and the fear of what was going on actually made me physically ill for about 4 days so I can't even imagine how these kind of things would be making me feel if I were pregnant on top of that.

There's a lot going on in the world and I respect that y'all have found ways to safely take it all in.

• Like 2

What made their predecessors so successful was that they were their own thing. Trying to force either Trevor or Larry to fit into the same mold as Jon and Stephen would be a straight recipe for disaster. Which is why Trevor has now gone away from the exact method that Jon used when he was host.

And The Nightly Show would in fact not be better served on MTV considering Comedy Central thought that he was not doing well with the younger demo and that's why they cancelled him. They literally said the show was not appearing on social media as much as they wanted and their target audience didn't seem interested. Moving him to MTV where that target audience is 90% of the audience is another recipe for disaster.

I very much get those feelings about Trevor Noah and see that myself sometimes, but his recent coverage on the election and the recent shootings have been A+ and genuine. As for Larry, I have appreciated his view on things more so than I had ever imagined. His stuff came from the heart and still made me laugh, which was what was needed in these times of insanity. It's really unfair to tell someone that isn't Stephen Colbert to be more like Stephen Colbert, especially when he has more cards stacked against him.

I mispoke when I said MTV, because you're right, that is a much younger demo, I just read "Male viewers", not younger viewers. I meant that Comedy Central isn't the right channel for The Nightly Show, because it focus much more on political commentary than it did straight up comedy, and, quite frankly, "Put it on BET" would have just been "Just put the black show on the black channel".

So to follow right after the Daily Show, with a similar show, on Comedy Central, replacing a beloved Stephen Colbert, it was an uphill battle from the start. It needed some seperation from The Daily Show, even if it meant putting it on just after @midnight, let it find it's feet, and then try it out in the Colbert slot, or in the Daily Show slot when Trevor Noah isn't in.

• Like 1

In all fairness on the political side of the commentary, we are in an election year where Donald Trump is a candidate. They've also talked a lot about other things (I loved the piece on Beyonce that Francesca did when Lemonade came out) but it does kind of get pushed to the side when politics is what's making the news everyday. It was indeed an uphill battle from the start but I think more than just separation it needed more time to find it's real footing and it's real audience.

I personally have kept up more with The Daily Show & The Nightly Show more than all of the other Late Night programs combined. I still need to watch Full Frontal though because every clip I see is brilliant and hilarious but I keep forgetting to put it into my DVR...

• Like 3

On the one hand, I've already paid money to give up on this turd and I don't want them to have any more, but on the other, it's a Jason pick. I'm kind of curious what he may have seen in it that I missed...

I'm hoping Jason was up for a role in the movie.

• Like 5

I'm actually surprised that this is the first Gerard Butler movie on the show, would have thought The Bounty Hunter, Reign of Fire, or Lara Croft 2 would have been talked about before this one.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised that this is the first Gerard Butler movie on the show, would have thought The Bounty Hunter, Reign of Fire, or Lara Croft 2 would have been talked about before this one.

Not to mention The Ugly Truth, Gamer, Timeline, Playing for Keeps, Law Abiding Citizen, London Has Fallen or PS I Love You among a couple.

Not to mention The Ugly Truth, Gamer, Timeline, Playing for Keeps, Law Abiding Citizen, London Has Fallen or PS I Love You among a couple.

I'd put Gamer and Law Abiding Citizen in the Crank category of crazy good, while The Ugly Truth and P.S. I Love You are just flat out bad.

• Like 1

There are probably only 3-4 Gerard Butler movies, tops, that don't belong in a HDTGM episode.
  • Like 1

Okay, have finally recuperated somewhat from the move.

1. Remember when he got catfished?

I didn't know he got catfished! I could've had an online affair with Thomas Gibson! And I know just the smoldering picture to use too.

wisg82.jpg

I didn't watch the hot tub video. If I did, I don't think I would be able to watch episodes of CM with Gibson in it anymore.

• Promotion to a different position/agency makes no sense given how many times he has fought to keep the team together. They could use a need of Jack's to be the scapegoat, like he needs to go to a new school.
  • On the other hand, there are at least 20 serial killers he caught now on the loose. Maybe they will take the easy way out and have a serial killer kill him and Jack and they just won't show the bodies?

LOL, Ellen! So either Jack is to be a scapegoat or he is to be killed by a serial killer along with Hotch. The killer won't spare him?! Hahaha, you really don't like Jack, do you.

I know he'll have some dark secret driving him to do this work but part of me wants him to be well-adjusted and normal, having nothing horrific happen in his background. If he's non-white, I understand the unlikeliness of this.

So true. The main reason why I love Hotch is that he's nice and angst-free and relatively normal. Sure he's stern and unsmiling, but not everyone is Smiley McSmiles. And pre-tragedy Hotch and post-tragedy Hotch is not all that different.

I saw the Jack Reacher 2 trailer this afternoon and two UNSUBS is in the movie! Robert Knepper was in the episode that's a cross between Psycho and Sunset Boulevard. Holt McCallany was in the one where construction sounds made the UNSUB think that he was back in a war zone.

• Like 1

Watched God's of Egypt today. It was hilarious for all the obvious reasons, white actors playing Egyptians, terrible writing and CGI.

It felt like watching the cutscene in a video game. Honestly though it wasn't worse than either of the two Percy Jackson movies which in my opinion had an equal amount of whitewashing and insane shit going on storywise.

I guess what I'm saying is they need to do the Percy Jackson movies or at least the first one else because it has Pierce brosnan playing a fucking centaur.

• Like 4

Keep forgetting to post this tweet.

16lfn79.jpg

Finn Wolfhard sounds like a Game of Thrones name. It's awesome.

• Like 4

did ye watch the gangs pilot on adult swim ... i really like it ...

paul posted it to his twitter yesterday ... it's called bad guys so just select it from the drop down menu.

i was going to post a screen grab but i think it is better you see the character design for yourself ..

http://www.adultswim.com/misc/pilots/

and don't forget to vote

• Like 3

I'm boycotting Adult Swim because of what they did to Brendon Small and Metalocalypse.

I really want to know what Jason's reason for picking this movie is. Curious.

I don't really want to give money to the people who made it though. I like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on GAME OF THRONES and his other TV roles. But every movie he is in is crap. I think maybe his agents don't realize in order for it to be sent to him, every American white guy has to have passed on it?

I'm also sad about the cancellation of the Nightly Show. I thought Wilmore was off to a stronger start than Trevor Noah. (Though the eps worth watching were usually about Bill Cosby.) They kind of killed the premise by hiring Noah at all. The Nightly Show was supposed to be the only black guy in late night.

• Like 1

I'm also sad about the cancellation of the Nightly Show. I thought Wilmore was off to a stronger start than Trevor Noah. (Though the eps worth watching were usually about Bill Cosby.)

giphy.gif

(Although I always lose it during his "The Unblackening" segments)

• Like 4