🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 1 - Adam Savage: Hamilton is Our Shakespeare

Adam Savage (Mythbusters) has listened to the Hamilton soundtrack hundreds of times, and still finds things new things to learn and love. He also busts some myths about the musical's stage design. His favorite song (and he’s ready to sing it) is Hurricane. What’s yours? Call us up and tell us: 937-9MYSHOT.

Going by the title alone, I'mma assume that in a handful of years, we're going to look back at the recorded works of Hamilton and say to ourselves, "oh wow, this bilge was considered genius in its time, but there's just SO much of it. Let's teach it in schools so it doesn't evaporate."

I just finished listening and this podcast was an absolute treat! Loved every second of it. Adam was a fantastic inaugural guest!

As far as "Hurricane" is concerned, I think it's also my favorite song (I guess we'll have to wait until the next episode so I can change my mind), but it was a slow burn for me as well. I have not seen the show, so a lot of the nuance that can be conveyed with the acting was lost on me. I've always liked the song, but when I first heard it, I was wondering why we were getting a re-telling of his childhood in the Second Act. It wasn't until later that I realized that it's Hamilton taking stock of his situation and saying, "Hey, whenever I'm in trouble, writing is the tool I've used to get out" little realizing that the instrument of his deliverance has suddenly become the instrument of his destruction.

I also never really got the "Wait for It" line in the song until recently. To me, it was just another line weaved into the greater tapestry, but I missed its significance. Aside from the interpretations given in the episode, the one that gets me is the one I didn't realize until I read Hamilton: The Revolution. Basically, Aaron Burr--as Hamilton's Iago--is saying, "Here's the thing I've been singing about this whole show! I've been waiting for years for you to mess up, and now, finally, my philosophy is about to be proven right!" Again, maybe seeing this onstage would have made this more apparent, but when I read that, I was blown away.

Great work, guys! I can't wait for the next one so I can geek out some more! If anyone wants to discuss In the Heights or 21 Chump Street, I'm all for that as well :)

• Like 5

Yay Hamlet.

Going by the title alone, I'mma assume that in a handful of years, we're going to look back at the recorded works of Hamilton and say to ourselves, "oh wow, this bilge was considered genius in its time, but there's just SO much of it. Let's teach it in schools so it doesn't evaporate."

Maybe don't go by title alone?

Adam makes a fine analogy in the episode.

Or are we all just supposed to be impressed that you have a very common hot take on Shakespeare?

Man I also had no idea of the significance of the "Wait for it" line in Hurricane! I had thought (also without the visual cues cause I haven't seen it yet) that it was actually a bit of Burr giving Hamilton just a final piece of advice before their friendship truly evaporated.

Absolutely amazing work, y'all! This is already a fantastic podcast to add to my subscriptions!

• Like 2

Hi guys! Love the show. I honestly had never really thought much of "Hurricane" until yesterday. Aside from: "No, no, no! Don't do it! It will wreck your life!" But then "Burn" happens, and the hurt and betrayal in Phillippa Soo's performance on the cast recording is gut-wrenching.

My one issue with the show was that I haven't seen the show yet. I'm seeing it in February in Chicago, so can you hold off a little on the discussion of the staging? I know the album by heart, but I really want to be surprised by the way it looks. I know it might be hard to hold back on that topic, but some of us haven't been lucky enough to experience the full show yet.