🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JordantheG1ng3r

A Serious Man vs. Inside Llewyn Davis

Two Coen masterpieces. One key difference; A Serious Man is about someone who can't accept life crapping on him, Inside Llewyn Davis is about a guy who keeps moving on despite life crapping on him.

• Like 1

I consider Inside Llwelyn Davis to be a modern masterpiece and easily a top 10 film of the decade so I can get behind this

• Like 1

These were good films, but they made me feel real bad afterwards (EDIT: Well, and even moreso during).

I prefer their early, funny ones.

I love both these films (especially Inside Llewyn Davis), but I feel like they would make better solo episodes, because neither is a shoo-in Coen film and both films' canon-worthiness is up for debate.

There's a great A.V. Club article about how the Coens' films from No Country for Old Men on are paired with each other thematically. So, there are a few "versus" potentials.

Specifically...

No Country for Old Men vs. Burn After Reading

A Serious Man vs. True Grit

Inside Llewyn Davis vs. Hail, Caesar!

http://www.avclub.co...nd-its-b-231871

Personally, I love both of these films. They're excellent Coen brothers films. Inside Llewyn Davis might be up there with Fargo and Miller's Crossing, as far as their strongest works are concerned. A Serious Man may not be as exciting, but it's a damn well-made film. So, I'd be down for a versus of these two.

These are 2 of their worst films. I don't get why some people love them so much.

Like many Coen movies, they improve with subsequent viewings.

But gotta admit never engaging with A Serious Man (so far) on the same level as I do with Inside Llewyn Davis, as well crafted as it is. I wouldn't begrudge it being in The Canon though (and Inside is easily worthy imho).

• Like 1

These are 2 of their worst films. I don't get why some people love them so much.

watch it again, A Serious Man is seriously a masterpiece and a top 5 film of the 00's

• Like 1

There's a great A.V. Club article about how the Coens' films from No Country for Old Men on are paired with each other thematically. So, there are a few "versus" potentials.

Specifically...

No Country for Old Men vs. Burn After Reading

A Serious Man vs. True Grit

Inside Llewyn Davis vs. Hail, Caesar!

http://www.avclub.co...nd-its-b-231871

Personally, I love both of these films. They're excellent Coen brothers films. Inside Llewyn Davis might be up there with Fargo and Miller's Crossing, as far as their strongest works are concerned. A Serious Man may not be as exciting, but it's a damn well-made film. So, I'd be down for a versus of these two.

i like these but i think there could be better thematic pairings

Barton Fink v Hail, Caesar! (golden age hollywood showdown)

Blood Simple v No Country for Old Men (2 of the best cat-and-mouse flicks of all time)

The Big Lebowski v Fargo (crime comedies with completely opposite tone but same POV)

• Like 1

What about No Country vs. Miller's Crossing?Arguably their two best films and two distinctive takes on the crime genre.

I just want Miller's Crossing to get more recognition as an utter masterpiece.

Sign in to follow this